Can you help me identify these traditional-looking foods? (Pics)

I saw these 3 things in the frozen section, they look really interesting and weird but I want to know what I’m getting myself into.

Any help would be appreciated so hopefully I can pick one or two before I leave the market!

image|668x500

The two on the left are taro cakes, and the one on the right is a sticky rice cake. I’d say they’d all be edible without being too weird if you’re into that kind of thing.

2 Likes

The one on the right being the dark one?

Yes. It’s “purple rice” which is basically a smaller-grained type of sticky rice.

Is the taro one that looks simplistic (with the red and white stuff on top) apt to be some kind of sticky consistency?

Also since I can’t see cooking instructions in Engliah, do you know if it’s likely I can just microwave these or do they need to be baked?

Thats the only thing i could find that looks like cooking instructions.

It will probably be chewy with a bit of taro texture.

The usual prep method for these types of cake is heating them in a rice cooker. Yes. Just looked at the instructions. It says steam in a rice cooker with 200 cc of water.

Don’t have one of those. Do you think the sticky rice one whose supposed cooking instructions I posted just above would be ruined in the microwave?

Haven’t tried that before, but I think there’s a good chance it would come out weird. Probably too dry and chewy.

Put a small cup of water in your microwave and get its temp up (but not boiling). Then add a sticky rice one - to the microwave tray, not to the cup of hot water - and zap both for 30 secs. Check if heated through. If not, zap for another 30. Etc.

The water in the cup should provide a bit of steam and keep the sticky rice sticky.

3 Likes

You two just saved Christmas. Thank you!

Don’t thank us until you’ve tried the cake. :wink:

1 Like