Can you make a living providing a service to foriegners?

Noticed more and more banners on Forumosa touting services for foreigners by foreigners. Some examples include them guys at Hub, Jim and his satellite TV, that Russian massage therapist :astonished: , sure Iā€™ve seen many more.

I was wondering, can you build a successful business (read> a decent living) here offering services specifically to foreigners (read> local) ? Can it really be full-time or just part-time ? What sort of services do you think would be most successful ? and finally what service would you pay for ?

Maybe discussing some ideas here will lead to others offering more services, which in itself canā€™t be badā€¦ well unless they fail miserably and blame me :loco:

Plenty of pub and restaurant owners make a decent living doing just that.

[quote=ā€œConnelā€]Noticed more and more banners on Forumosa touting services for foreigners by foreigners. Some examples include them guys at Hub, Jim and his satellite TV, that Russian massage therapist :astonished: , sure Iā€™ve seen many more.

I was wondering, can you build a successful business (read> a decent living) here offering services specifically to foreigners (read> local) ? Can it really be full-time or just part-time ? What sort of services do you think would be most successful ? and finally what service would you pay for ?

Maybe discussing some ideas here will lead to others offering more services, which in itself canā€™t be badā€¦ well unless they fail miserably and blame me :loco:[/quote]

You should check into the Boiler Room thing that Loretta is advertising about. There is a success team meeting which is a natural follow up for those looking to take their thoughts to the next level.

Hey, I might be Martian but definately not Russian! No offense to the Russians!

R.B. wrote [quote]Plenty of pub and restaurant owners make a decent living doing just that.[/quote]
It is almost impossible to make a living solely from waiguoren. For most ā€œforeignā€ businesses, a steady flow of Taiwanese customers is the difference between going bankrupt and making a profit.

Actually not thinking of starting a business myself, was just thinking hypothetically.

Exactly why it got me pondering could you make a sucess servicing just the foriegn community ? and how ?

If you could start a business that can get me stuff I want from the US, then there is a chance that the business you get from me could put your kids through college!

I do preetty well on the weekends when I hit the clubs looking like thisā€¦

But I guess you were talking about sumpthin legal :wink:

Iā€™ve received SPAM from a couple of sites that offer this service. Expensive.

Yeah, most of the pubs and restaurants are for foreigners and Taiwanese. As Almas said, it would be near impossible to make a living off just foreigners.

But there are a few businesses that just target foreigners:

Jeremy at Bike Farm
Simonā€™s books at Nittis and Bike Farm
Hostels (any run by foreigners?)

Brian

Then there is also Lorettaā€™s Mobile phone without guarentorā€¦ definitely aimed at the foreignerā€¦

[quote=ā€œBu Lai Enā€]Jeremy at Bike Farm
[/quote]

Didnā€™t realize thatā€¦ I just presumed it was a bike shop run by Taiwanese and we are just another market!

Of course, thereā€™s the Vietnamese restaurant in Chientan station areaā€¦

Kenneth

Yes, the Filipino/Thai/Indonesian/Vietnamese bars and clubs that are only open on Sundays, they make their living almost exclusively off of foreigners.

Sounds like trying to create a reverse ā€œChinatownā€ in Taiwan.

A little enthic enclave in Taipei, where everyone spoke English, the store signs only in English, and no haggling over list price.

Let me know when they set up a NYC hot dog vendor with real sauerkraut and knish; or a London chippie stand with real beer batter, malt vingear, and newspaper wrapā€¦Iā€™ll stop by and patron this new tourist attractions.

I think opening a Gamesworkshop place in Taipei might be a good idea.

I think any business aimed at foreigners would almost have to be in Taipei. I know a few pretty good foreign run restaurants in Kaohsiung that just didnā€™t get a steady enough stream of local customers. Despite rave reviews from the foreigners, they didnā€™t last all that long, either. Itā€™s too bad. Now Iā€™m hungry.

They still have that little Egyptian takeout place, the one on Wufu? Last time I was down in the Kaoh, I was jonesin for some cheap, greasy Egyptian pitas and couldnā€™t find it no more.