Can you spot a fake degree holder?

• Yes!
  • No!

0 voters

I think it can be done fairly easy.
Fake degree holders can’t recall the typical uni stories.
The proof is in the deatils.
For example…
Who was your advisor?
What do you study?
What was your GPA?
What was your worst class?
Where did you go after classes to chill?

I found when we began trading stories about uni little things like this were absent or even wrong…some one said he had 3.5GPA at a school where thy use a stay nine average (9 point system). When asked about that he had no clue!!

So how do you spot a faker?

They tell you the name of their college was Old School.
During the interview, they shoot spit wads at you when you turn around.
They say their GPA was 7.5.
They brag about how well they did in the swimsuit competition.
They say stuff like, “I gots me a degree.”

Yes, especially when a red-cheeked, 20 year old dipsh*t walks around the office telling everyone (s)he’s got a Phd! Come on! Why not be realistic? Why not a BA? No, it’s got to be a Phd. :loco: Greedy little bastard! Seen it more than once. I even interviewed one. Quite hilarious it was.

[quote]For example…
Who was your advisor?
What do you study?
What was your GPA?
Where did you go after classes to chill? [/quote]

1. Jesus, I have absolutely no recollection whatsoever.
  2. Umm… English Lit?
  3. What’s that when its at home?
  4. All of them.
  5. Classes? Oh, yeah. Those things that were always in the morning. I believe I probably went to some.

Firstly, I just asked a B.sc Optom. from RAU, South Africa, what her GPA was, she has no idea what GPA means - only that it’s something you hear in U.S movies. I hear that it is being used in NZ now though. Oh, that doesn’t make. So, how do we find some universal rules for spotting a fake? Torture? :smiling_imp:

[quote=“ski”]Who was your advisor?

1. What do you study?

2. What was your GPA?

3. What was your worst class?

4. Where did you go after classes to chill?
    [/quote]

5. . ahhhhm… Jack… something … it’s a Jewish name… can’t remember … it’ll come to me at two in the morning, it sounded really funny though… he had a big nose like me… There was a nice Austrian man that was a councellor… but the Jewish guy… nope, gone.

6. What did I study? (Sorry, pedantantic aren’t I)
    Christian Ministry, Theology, oooooooooo gasp… Evangelism

7. We worked on a tertiary credit system which somehow was exchanged to a GPA by the NZ MOE, just looking at my last set of transcripts for the last quarter, well it appears to be about 18 credits.

Do I fail? :smiley:

Honestly, GPA’s were never discussed and never a focus point, but credits for each course were.

1. Theology :blush: In particular exegesis and hermaneutics :blush: Geez, I flunked one paper about idol feasts because the teacher wouldn’t agree that there were idol feasts in the world today… geez, come to Taiwan man.

2. To the dorm. We were in the middle of the countryside. Go running. Play hoops. There wasn’t any BEER. Play pranks on other students. Play table tennis in the cafeteria. Listen to preaching tapes. Read the Bible. Prepare sermons. Or we’d go into Auckland city to save souls and talk to the street gangs. :astonished:

Dunno, that sounds fishy though, not like a regular student eh?! :slight_smile:

I think you are right in general though, but there will always be folks like me that are outside the box.

Do I have some stories though, but… some posters wouldn’t like that. :laughing: :smiley:

Close enough!
gotta be real…

My co-worker made her degree in the computer room at her scool, with Chinese teachers all around. She also works on her high school correspondance every day in the office. I was under the impression that everyone I worked with had a degree. Just recently I discovered only one out of nine of our foreign teachers actually has a degree (and maybe he’s lying, too). This is at one of the most expensive “brand name” schools in Taichung. What a joke!

Fake degrees? The guys that walk around with puffed-out chests, talking about how they took on a dozen heavily armed gangsters, and wiped them out without breaking a sweat, all because they have a 13th degree black belt in the system of Watyu-tokking-bout-Arno, of which they are the grandmaster. Those are the real fake degree holders.

Tell me you are kidding, please!

It can’t be true.

But…

somehow I think it could be true… :astonished: :astonished: :noway:

I have to say no; in the majority of cases, I likely couldn’t spot a fake. I suppose if I really got to know the person, I may eventually be able to tell-- it’d slip out somehow. It would be possibly easier in very technical fields where the training received in uni more directly relates to the job being done. I’d say poor writing could give a person away, but not everybody who didn’t go to uni is a bad writer and, conversely, not every uni grad writes particularly well. So I have to say, unless a person’s educational deficiencies are glaring obvious, I couldn’t consistently spot degree fakers.

What’s that? I didn’t have an advisor.

[quote]
What do you study?[/quote]

What did I study? History and Film.

[quote]
What was your GPA?[/quote]

What’s that? Grade point average? We didn’t have it.

Law

A cafe.

Did I do well in your quiz? I have a degree or tow by the way. (I think your quiz is a bit to culturally specific).

Brian

[quote]
Did I do well in your quiz? I have a degree or tow by the way. (I think your quiz is a bit to culturally specific).

Brian[/quote]

Kay…next!

:wink:

Ok, here’s how you spot them.

You say this, “I am going to need to verify this degree and contact your school.” If they bolt for the door, they are fakes. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ski”]Can you spot a fake degree holder?

For example…
Who was your advisor?
What do you study?
What was your GPA?
Where did you go after classes to chill?

So how do you spot a faker?[/quote]

I have a degree but I can only answer question #2. I would only go to the first class, midterm, and final. I was working full time to pay for classes that I couldn’t attend because I was working fulltime.

And then there was that nice beach across the street my my apartment, The Arctic Zone, and all that partying I was forced to participate in.

Key Words: FOR EXAMPLE

and of course it’s not a one time thing…Look at him! he has long hair!! must be a hippie university graduate.:astonished:. Look at him…no visable tatoos or piercings…never went to school!! :noway:

Toasty hit the nail on the head…it would slip out over time becoming more apparent as you got to know the guy/gal.

Ski

[quote=“Bassman”]Ok, here’s how you spot them.

You say this, “I am going to need to verify this degree and contact your school.” If they bolt for the door, they are fakes. :slight_smile:[/quote]

The problem is most fake degrees come with a phone number that you can give to employers. These diploma mills are getting really tricky. :s

I think another way to spot a fake is to question the person about the period of their life when they were supposedly studying. Look at their resume and see if they were living in the area where this university is located during the time of their studies (this may not work with distance degrees). Check how airtight their life story is for this period of time. I think you’d already have to suspect this person of faking if you’re going to go to such lengths as this.

[quote=“Drewfus”]

The problem is most fake degrees come with a phone number that you can give to employers. These diploma mills are getting really tricky. :s[/quote]

Google always works nicely for weeding out the fake school names. If the contact # doesn’t match the official school website, well, that is questionable.

Most would be working on the assumption that people don’t check things out properly. I know, I don’t. (great, now I’m going to get an inbox full of fake diploma holders) :slight_smile:

[quote=“ski”]Can you spot a fake degree holder?

For example…
Who was your advisor?
What do you study?
What was your GPA?
Where did you go after classes to chill? [/quote]

My freshman advisor was some guy who convinced me I could pick up French after fall semester, not knowing that the 300-level French courses were offered only once a year in sequential order so I had to wait an entire year to take French (which unexpectedly helped me be able to do the study abroad program as it was not offered my freshman year nor would I have had the grades to be accepted anyway). Both of my major advisors were tenured woman professors: my French advisor was Dr. Lois Vines who I took French film and French phonology with; my linguistics advisor was Dr. Beverly Flanigan under whom I did my directed research.

What did I study? First chemistry, but, after changing majors (cough, cough, flunked freshman chemistry, cough), French and then added linguistics my sophomore year.

My GPA? Well…somewhere between 2.67 and 3.34, with a range that included one quarter in academic probation and one quarter on dean’s list…in other words, not divulged unless I absolutely need to.

Worst class? Let’s see…the bowling class I flunked because I stopped showing up to it? The ice skating class where I fractured my left wrist right before finals week (I am left-handed)? The environmental geography class that involved walking around outside in the snow for an hour to look at a creek and didn’t even fulfill the gen. ed. requirement I thought it did? The environmental geology class that did fulfill the requirement, but was taught by a professor who was barely understandable because of her very strong Brazilian accent? or the Calculus class where I took my afternoon naps until the pissed off prof said “You might as well stay home if you’re only going to sleep” so I did for two weeks…out of ten (and obviously failed…with a 10% F)?

Where did I go after class? Band practice. Seven hours a week of rehearsals in the blistering sun, in the pouring rain, in the freezing snow, and with some of the biggest assholes on this planet…

Do I pass the test?

How do I spot fake degrees? I simply ask the 18-year-old girl I met at a bar in Taidong who had an MA in child psychology. :unamused:

Definitely asking them about which course they thought benefited them the most and why is one way to weed them out.

One of these days someone over at the MOE will have an epiphany and hire some people (with a clue) to actually check the info of the ARC applicants. It would make the teacher market rather interesting. Better in the long run IMHO.

It’s not that hard for a quick confirmation with the university to see if there was a John Doe who graduated with a BS/BA in the year XXXX. Universities really don’t like it when people misrepresent their school.