Can your company move ahead your last working day?

If you give the legally required notice period, can your company ask you to move your last day ahead? For example, if I give my ten day notice on March 1, and told them I was leaving on March 11, could they force me to extend it to March 12, or 13th if they wanted to?

Haven’t officially given my leave notice yet but a HR friend told me the company might try and pull something like this.

Any relevant laws relating to this I’d be happy to read

Also, if I want to contact labor office to ask questions about this, what’s the best way and are they fast to reply?

Perhaps this isn’t exactly a practical advice, but record evidence and report it to news stations.

:popcorn:

Maybe check your contract? There might be provisions on there, like you need to ensure a peaceful translation of work to the next person who will do your work moving forward?

Nope nothing like that

Not sure if they can force you, but they can certainly ask. I was asked by one of my previous employers to stay longer, but I already had a start date for my next job, so I declined. I know a few instances in which an employee gave notice, and was told their employment ended immediately. This was in the US though.

If they did that in Taiwan they’d need to give severance pay. Would actually be better xD

Pretty sure this wouldn’t be news…

4 Likes

they can ask, you can politely decline. in any case you will get paid for these extra days, so if uts just a day or two it’s up to you…

1 Like

The short answer is no they can’t, but you need to make sure your unilateral termination of the contract is airtight.

If you’re on a fixed term contract (which you definitely are if you’re neither a citizen nor a permanent resident) and haven’t hit three years of seniority, LSA Art. 15 actually does not apply to you, so unless you have an LSA Art. 14 or Civil Code Art. 489 reason for termination, you need to rely on what the contract says, and if applicable what the (official) work rules say. If you can’t terminate the contract unilaterally, you need to negotiate an agreement to terminate it.

You can always contact the labor department.

I’m not in a fixed term contract and I’m neither a permanent resident or a citizen. My contact also stated I only need to give X amount of days based on the time at the company, which is based on the LSA.

If you don’t have the right of permanent residence, your contract is automatically a fixed term contract, no matter what the contract says.

But if your contract gives you the right to terminate it anyway, then it depends on the wording of the contract. Assuming they didn’t sneak in a loophole (either in the contract proper or in the work rules), you should be okay.

Check with a lawyer to be safe.

Is this only for teaching jobs, or all jobs?

Just in case…

The automatic fixed term contract rule is not industry-specific.

I suppose you could challenge it if you had a contract that allowed you to work anywhere in the world.