Canada D'eh Party on Danshui's Shalun Beach, Sat June 27

You just described Canada.

Just kidding. Happy Canada Day!

I’ve never been to Canada. And all the Canadians I know are super people.

And I’ve never seen a Canadian girl with missing teeth.

Well, they’ll be just in time to stop by and shoot some pucks at the CIHL shooter tutor where myself and the poster formerly known as Toe Save, as well as lots of other upstanding members of the hockey league will be having some fun. Stop by and say hello!

Well it’s absolutely pouring rain down here in Muzha, but I called my friend and he says it’s blazing hot up there.
I guess I’ll head out.
Right after I clip my toenails.

Unfortunately, I won’t be making this one. Rats! :frowning:

Just a question out of curiousity—do the vendors that sell drinks at this event make a profit? Or are they provided as “charity” drinks? :smiley:

At a hundred a pop, someone was making some money. Seems like they were only half that last year… :ponder:

Not to mention, the entrance fee was about double what it was before.
Yeah, there were some activities set up and some entertainment, but not really worth the cost of admission.
I think maybe some of the proceeds were going to a McKay Hospital or something like that?
Not really sure.
Meh. It was a relaxing day though.

They announced that the proceeds were going to charity.

It was a good day. Food was better than last time and I really enjoyed Wonfu’s set. I wasn’t terribly impressed by that Colby O’Donis guy who apparently lipsynced and didn’t seem to care where he was or what event he was headlining, but anyway it was a good show overall.

Some or all of the proceeds?
I don’t think he lipsynched totally, but he was definitely singing on top of prerecorded tracks.
Oh, and next year there should be a ball hockey tourney.

[quote=“Josefus”]Some or all of the proceeds?[/quote]Dunno. I don’t remember drinks being super-cheap last year either though.

[quote=“Josefus”]I don’t he lipsynched totally, but he was definitely singing on top of prerecorded tracks.[/quote]I’m pretty sure the guitar playing was fake. And I thought I saw some bits where there was his voice as the lead vocal but he forgot to “sing”. And I do think it would have been a bit classier of him to squeeze out a “Happy Canada Day” or something.

I’m still singing a couple of Wonfu’s songs to myself though.

Yeah, that’s true.
He didn’t acknowledge the crowd, the event, anything.
And the set was super short.
I didn’t time it, but I’m sure it was less than 30 mins?
I guess he just wanted to get out of there and go to Luxy.

It was a pretty good party, but it has definitely become a lot more Luxy-fied. 600 to get in, 100nt a drink, 100 or more for a lot of the food. Cops and massive security goons EVERYWHERE. Only 1/2 price to get into Luxy, not free. To be honest, I’m not sure that I’ll make it such a priority to attend the next one.

The people at the Canadian Society deserve a lot of credit for their work though. They are a solid crew: All volunteers, and they do give some of the proceeds to charity. I had a good time, but it seemed more Luxy and less Canucky than in past years, despite the hypnotizing continuity of Canadian flag graphics on the rather impressive stage.

[quote=“BigJohn”]It was a pretty good party, but it has definitely become a lot more Luxy-fied. 600 to get in, 100nt a drink, 100 or more for a lot of the food. Cops and massive security goons EVERYWHERE. Only 1/2 price to get into Luxy, not free. To be honest, I’m not sure that I’ll make it such a priority to attend the next one.

The people at the Canadian Society deserve a lot of credit for their work though. They are a solid crew: All volunteers, and they do give some of the proceeds to charity. I had a good time, but it seemed more Luxy and less Canucky than in past years, despite the hypnotizing continuity of Canadian flag graphics on the rather impressive stage.[/quote]

yeah what the fuck was the security about? prolly around 150-200 security guards, cops, dogs, FAP, plain clothes and CID…what the fuck did they think was going to go down there? altamont the second?

and colby? jeez what a dickhead…the only good thing i can say about him was that his set was admirably short…

but other than that it was a fun day :sunglasses:

me likey wonfu! They are a fun, quirky, little band.

They announced that the proceeds were going to charity.[/quote]

Yeah, sure. I’m fine with all that and hope they did raise some money for their cause. It was a great day out and the new location is definitely a winner! :bravo:

The security was nuts! There were the Luxy guys, some of whom were huge, definitely the biggest guys at the party, about 20 in total. Then there were normal uniformed police, one with a drug-sniffing dog, about 25. Then they had CID guys, who are basically major crimes detectives, about 10 of them. Some of the cops stayed on a rooftop overlooking he party and scoped out the whole thing relentlessly. Who knows if there were any plainclothes guys “mixing in” with the crowd to try and spot that big deal going down.

I suppose there is a logical explanation for all this, which someone in the know would be happy to provide?

got hockey… on a beach???..

[quote=“Josefus”]Some or all of the proceeds?
I don’t think he lipsynched totally, but he was definitely singing on top of prerecorded tracks.
Oh, and next year there should be a ball hockey tourney.[/quote]

And the organization is starting for next year already?

Any chance of adding beach ultimate?

I’m pretty sure the security had to do with it being a legally sanctioned beach party from the Taiwan government. they want to actually look like they are doing something.

as for mr. o’donis, when i wrote an intro for him on http://www.waakao.com, truthfully, it was hard to find something good to say. and he lived up to my expectation basically. half hour set. three songs (just dance/beautiful/boom boom pow) that were others. he sang over his CD. and then he was gone.

but with that said, that’s what he was there to do. he wasn’t great for sure, but he got the place going and did what he was supposed to do.

Overall, the stage looked great, the bands and music were all decent and i would say that most people who went had a decent time. I know I did. For pics of the party and whatnot http://www.waakao.com

Anyone know when Won Fu’s new album comes out?