😷 COVID - Canada | Canada Opens Tourism to Travellers - Vaccine Reqs. to End

Don’t disagree–same with Singapore and places such as Saudi Arabia.

In some ways, same with Canada…lots of jobs only filled by lower paid migrants, especially fruit picking, fast food etc. (albeit in the Canadian context a path to naturalization is provided)

1 Like

This is a bit of a stain on taiwans rep i agree.

Then the definition of “full vaccinated” will change to 3 doses, and 4, 5, 6.

A further stain - not only is a path to citizenship unavailable to the southeast Asian laborers busting their ass in caregiving, agricultural, construction, factory, and fishery roles, after 12 years of contributing to the Taiwanese economy, they’re told to kindly bleep off back home.

Not to mention the brokerage system, frequent exploitation and abuse up to and including rape, and more.

I’ve also had more than one conversation with Taiwanese who argued that caregivers that are basically on call 24/7 don’t deserve the same minimum wage as Taiwanese because then those jobs would be taken by Taiwanese people. As if young Taiwanese women are clamoring for domestic servitude around the clock taking care of senile old men for minimum wage.

Edit - I should probably start a thread on this or find one that may already exist, because for the 14 months I lived in Taiwan, I met my soon to be wife, who is from the Philippines, and most of my close associates were also Filipino. I’ve heard some truly horrid stuff and it sounded extremely commonplace.

2 Likes

Quebec City, here I come!

2 Likes
1 Like

Any hints of non vaccinated passengers bein allowed entry anytime soon? Citizens and spouses of citizens? Now that variant evolutions are accepted knowledge, whats it looking like?

I mean… I got in and I’m unvaxxed.

Didn’t expect the border guard to wave me through so quickly.

If you’re Canadian, you can always get in.

Ya, thats good! If you were married to a taiwanese person though…can she/he?

Uhhhh…That I don’t know. Have you called CBSA?

If you’re married to a Taiwanese, why don’t they have Canadian PR?

We havent been back to canada for 5 years. PR means permanent resident? My wife got an ETA (i think that was the abbreviation), a digital thing we did last time to enter. Aside from the visa free entry under a given amount of time she was allowed.

Damn. Typing this i am realizing how long its been and how out of touch (dumb) i am with the current state of affairs visiting canada haha.

Yeah but the ETA is nothing more than that $7 visa-free thingy. A tourist.

PR is permanent resident. She should have PR in Canada if you are married to her for things like this in the same way we would recommend holding onto a JFRV or APRC.

If she wants to go as a tourist, she’ll need to be vaxxed to enter. If she is PR she can enter but she’ll need to quarantine like me if unvaxxed.

Fastest way is to get the vax. When do you wanna go?

1 Like

I gotta come clean, i havent checked into it recently and am VERY ignorant. However here we need to live here to get PR, not sure about canada, but we cant afford to leave our company for months, which is why i remember we never went ahead before. I dont even have residence status there (thus no health care etc). Last time we went it was 4 months. I recal the ETA thing allowed up to 6 at that time. And it seemed doing an overnighter into the states was a viable option to come back for another 6 (visa run). Im sure it’s all changed post covid. If we came it would be for 2 months max.

We have no set timeline. But i have old and sick family i would like to visit before its too late, thats about it. Oh, and not winter…haha.

Well…what vaxxes do you two have so far?

Hard work, healthy food and active outdoor lifestyles lol.

Aka, none. At least none for covid. We wont be for probably at least another year or so either, when things seems better understood, we are all in.

1 Like

At this point, if she doesn’t hold the maple leaf card and you aren’t vaxxed, she won’t be let in, and you will need to quarantine.

If you guys are willing to quarantine, ask the CTOT for info on your wife.

Secondly, you will not be allowed to take ANY aeroplane from Canada, within or outside Canada without being double vaxxed.

Regardless of the debate on vaccines. This is not my opinion, it’s just what’s going on. If you expect to touch Canada anytime soon, be prepared to be double vaxxed. Even I am a bit sceptical over one size fits all regulation, but I know you and I will need to be double vaxxed to get out of Canada.

2 Likes

Every time I check for the actual policy, it’s not there. So all we have is a press release (not binding) and general online information (not binding). Plus they postponed the scheme by a month already.

We’ll see.

Oh and as currently explained (though like I said it’s not binding), you can transit in designated airports as long as you don’t stay overnight (except YYZ) and don’t leave the airport, so if you’re really desperate and qualify for entry into a neighboring country by land or water, you can do that just for the sake of flying back to Canada and flying out again. :wall:

Oh yeah, plus “emergency” exceptions, whatever those are. :cactus:

Double vaxxed plus 14 days. Currently AZ, Moderna, and BNT are acceptable vaccines.

If a Canadian citizen (like you) shows up unvaccinated, you’ll need to do 14 days quarantine. Without vaccination, you won’t be able to board trains as well as planes, including the one taking you back to Taiwan. You will also run into issues getting into restaurants, pubs, etc.

Guy

You do realize you can do those things AND get vaxxed right?

It’s not an either/or situation.

Guy