Canada to Taipei : ''open ticket'' and best itinerary?

Greetings to all! First of many posts to come on your great forum :slight_smile:

I’ve been spending most of my time reading for the past couple of weeks and I have to say that I’m quite impressed by the quality and positiveness of the information I could gather so far. I’m currently planning my departure from Canada into Taiwan for the end of June and there are some pieces of information that I couldn’t find on the forum.

First, I understand that I have to buy a two-way ticket in order to enter Taiwan. However, I want to know if I can buy an ‘‘open’’ return ticket, one without a pre-established date of return written on it?

If so, am I right in thinking that an ‘‘open ticket’’ would be valid for a year from departure? Couldn’t find confirmation that it is valid for one year, no matter what country you’re visiting. Anyone know how much I’d have to pay for that special ticket?

Also, has anyone ever bought a ticket from a travel agent in the Chinatown part of a major Canadian city? I heard that there are deals to be made there. Any truth to this?
I’m leaving from Montreal, and I was wondering if I could save money by taking a flight to a major Asian city, Hong Kong for example, and then hop on a plane from Hong Kong to Taipei, or if the hassle wouldn’t be worth the savings? Montreal-NYC, NYC-HK, HK-Taipei? Wouldn’t want to spend 30 hours on planes, but If I can save $500, I’m willing to do it.

The time you are taking right now to answer these questions will help a newbie TEFL teacher sleep better at night, knowing that he’s so close now to living his dream of living overseas by playing a small part in something a lot bigger than him.

Yup. Humility is a virtue of mine. Give generously :wink:

Open tickets are usually quite expensive and Chinatown travel agents are offering the same deals that can be found online. Buying a series of one-way tickets may be a better option for you, but if long hours on a Chinese airline are beyond your patience threshold, then a return ticket on EVA from Toronto would be the smart play. What is your budget?

kayak.com/

Montreal - Paris - Shanghai - Taipei - Manila
YUL-ORY, Corsair $441 *overnight in Paris
CDG-PVG-TPE, China Eastern $591
$1032

TPE-MNL, Cebu Pacific $83

Montreal - Toronto - Taipei
YUL - YYZ- TPE, AC/BR $1159

Thanks for replying!

Ok, so if I follow your reasoning, my return ticket may be for Manilla, or any other place nearby, out of Taipei, since I don’t intend to use it anyway. All they want to see is proof that I’ll be leaving the country after 90 days at the latest right?

Because I can’t find any round trip tickets cheaper than $1700 if I get the return to Canada. A huge waste of money for a return ticket I would not use. I just didn’t think I could just get a ticket to some place nearby :slight_smile:

So for around $1250 I’d be set. My budget is $1500. Great!

How’s EVA airlines? United is almost the same price. Also, is there anyway to pay airline tickets with paypal, or cash in person?

Thanks for your help chung

[quote=“Cinephile”]Thanks for replying!

Ok, so if I follow your reasoning, my return ticket may be for Manilla, or any other place nearby, out of Taipei, since I don’t intend to use it anyway. All they want to see is proof that I’ll be leaving the country after 90 days at the latest right?[/quote]
Correct, all you need is an onward ticket.

Transpacific economy class is nasty regardless of carrier. Departure times out of Montreal tend to early in the morning as well. Because this and the opportunity to stock up on a few decent wines, I suggest transiting in Paris.(:

Airline offices and travel agents will certainly take cash. No idea about paying with Paypal. If you don’t already have one, I’d suggest getting a credit card before you leave as you’re unlikely to find a bank in Taiwan that will issue you one.

Glad to help. Good luck!

[quote=“chung”]

…stock up on a few decent wines, I suggest transiting in Paris.[/quote]

I’ll consider that. From what I read, quality wine is nonexistent in Taiwan, or if it is, it simply is overpriced. I’m a social drinker, imported beer mostly, but beer doesn’t quite cut it on some special occasions :wink:

[quote=“chung”]

Airline offices and travel agents will certainly take cash. No idea about paying with Paypal. If you don’t already have one, I’d suggest getting a credit card before you leave as you’re unlikely to find a bank in Taiwan that will issue you one. [/quote]

Paypal was more in terms of buying online. I see Hotwire takes it, but for the flights I’m looking for, they transfer me to other sites such as Kayak and Orbitz, that don’t accept Paypal.
I have a credit card, but I despise this form of payment, so I don’t have a large credit limit on it. I guess I’ll have to go directly to a travel agent then. Thanks! :thumbsup: