Canada vs australia

One of my favourite pieces of slang I’ve picked up is COCKHEAD.

Much stronger in its meaning than the pommie knob’ead.

I reckon most Aussies can spot a cockhead, and they’ll definitely let you know if you’re one.

:cluck: :cluck: :cluck:

Just popping down Coles in my ute for some snags ‘n’ some tinnies.

L.

As dry as a dead dingo’s donger here, mate. Got me a tinny as we speak. Cheers.

I wrote: [quote]Don’t quote me on this but I think most Aussies are great. Very approachable and friendly. They are, however, quick to notice wankers, and let said wankers know what they think. [/quote]

HG wrote: [quote]Wanker! Laughing out loud… [/quote]

God, I hate being outsmarted by an Aussie. The humiliation!

I agree that Brisbane’s winter weather is glorious. The only prob might be that there are too many bloody Kiwis.
People speak very highly of Perth but I’ve not been there yet.

[quote=“almas john”]
People speak very highly of Perth but I’ve not been there yet.[/quote]

Neither have I, but I have an Aussie friend from there who says it’s growing like California did in the 60’s. Says it’s a brilliant place to be at the moment, full of opportunity.

I have some relatives on my husband’s side who just immigrated there, too. I don’t know them too well, but have heard second hand that they really love it.

So, with all of this talk about Aus, have we come to the consensus that it wins over Canada? :wink:

I grew up in Perth and fled as an adult. It’s booming now, I hear. While certainly a beautiful place with some of the most gorgeous un-polluted oceans you could ever hope to find, it was known for its isolation, racism and parochialism. It has a larger percentage of aborigines per head of population, and they sure as shit don’t like them much, generally speaking. There were/are atrocious abuses of the aboriginal population by the cops and others, and almost no inclination by the loacl government to redress this. .

They don;t even much like people from elsewhere in Australia. Born in the east and raised in Perth I experienced this first hand. A joke the locals never understood was how they always reported any clever bank heist as likely being undertaken by an “eastern states crime syndicate,” to which I would always offer, “what’s wrong, no crims clever enough from around here to do a good bank job?” They never got it, and I never got on that well with the true locals. Fortunately there were enough of us eastern state blow ins to give the locals a run for their money.

The word “eastern stater”, while usually referring to someone from Sydney or Melbourne, is also rather confusingly thrown at kiwis, as in “oh he’s from New Zealand, or one of those eastern states.”

I was back there the last time five years ago, and it has grown up a lot. House prices are rocketing with suggestions there will be little correction as expected elsewhere. The issue is that it;s ostensibly resources dependent, so when commodities boom, as they are now, so does Perth, and when they falter, so goes Perth.

One of my favorite places is Rottnest, an island off Perth. This is a very normal scene there. The limestone rock and clear water make for breathtaking views.

HG

[quote=“Shimokitazawa”]Canada would be my vote. The friendliest people, but brutally cold weather, are in Manitoba / Saskatchewan. Vancouver is nice but there’s a gang war going on there right now and it’s an Asian city that has been taken over by the Chinese. Beautiful city, though. Winters are mild and you have close access to the mountains or Pacific. U.S. and Washington State are only 25 minutes away from Vancouver.

Ontario is just too cold / too much snow.[/quote]
Searching for something else, came across this, and can’t resist responding to some fallacies.

1. Vancouver is not a beautiful city per se. Rather, it is a charmless forest of green apartment towers surrounded by dreary suburban sprawl of the 1960s and 1970s-vintage. What Vancouver does have in abundance is beautiful surroundings outside of the city.

2. The claim to fame for the city itself is that it has a lot of sushi restaurants, and…that’s pretty much it.

3. Vancouver’s mild winters? Not all they’re cracked up to be. Vancouver gets six months of rain sandwiched between a wet and chilly spring and fall and…a dry and chilly summer. The average highs in July and August are 21.7 and 21.9 degrees. There are beaches in Vancouver, but you’d better take a coat or a sweater if you’re going to them, as sunny and warm days at the beach are few and far between.

By contrast, southern Ontario gets cold winters between Christmas and early March, when the average daily maximum temperature is -2 degrees and there is snow on the ground. The fall colours are glorious, and the summer heat is delicious. Think New York City summers, except 1 or 2 degrees cooler. The beaches in southern Ontario are excellent on all three of the Great Lakes the province touches, Ontario, Erie, Huron, though those on Lake Huron take the ultimate prize for quality. And unlike in Vancouver, you actually get a suntan at beaches in Ontario.

But if you definitely cannot handle snow and cold for about two and a half months of the year, then avoid Ontario, definitely. We get snowstorms here.