Canada's dirty secret war in Iraq: the cat is out of the bag

I thought this was a really interesting read…
commonground.ca/iss/199/cg199_iraq.shtml
Canada’s secret war in Iraq

How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again! – Mark Twain

On March 25, 2003, during the “shock and awe” bombardment of Iraq, then US Ambassador Paul Cellucci admitted that “… ironically, Canadian naval vessels, aircraft and personnel… will supply more support to this war in Iraq indirectly… than most of those 46 countries that are fully supporting our efforts there.”…

Canada was, and still is, the leading member of this secret group, which we could perhaps call CW-HUSH, the “Coalition of the Willing to Help but Unwilling to be Seen Helping.” The plan worked. Most Canadians still proudly believe that their government refused to join the Iraq War. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Depleted uranium (DU) weapons: Canada is the world’s top exporter of uranium. Our government pretends that Canada’s uranium is sold for “peaceful” purposes only, but absolutely nothing is done to stop the US from using DU in their weapons. America’s A-10 Wart Hog warplanes have fired DU munitions in Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq, while each cruise missile contains three kgs of DU ballast. Providing RADARSAT data: Eagle Vision, a US Air Force mobile ground station, ­which controls Canada’s RADARSAT-1 satellite and downlinks its data­, was used from the start of the Iraq War.

CANADA PRODUCES DEPLETED FREAKING URANIUM!!! Ummmm, in a previous thread on this topic several Canadians siad they were not only aware of Canada’s role in Iraq, but were proud of it too. I didn’t hear them mention the depleted Uranium, though…

The article cites depressing example after depressing example of Canada’s dirty deeds, not the least of which is limited to…
Funding Iraq’s interior ministry: Canada provides advisors and financial support to this ministry, which has been caught running torture centres. Thousands of its officers have been withdrawn for corruption, and it has been accused of working with death squads that executed a thousand people per month in Baghdad alone

The article (written by a Canadian) goes on an on with examples of Canada’s dirty deeds in Iraq, but ends with this:
So the next time a proud fellow citizen tells you that Canada didn’t join the Iraq War, remind them of Mark Twain’s famous quip: “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

For more information on the myth of Canada’s role as a global peacemaker, read Press for Conversion, coat.ncf.ca or write to COAT, 541 McLeod St., Ottawa, ON, K1R 5R2. Richard Sanders is the coordinator for the Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade.

C’mon, Canadians, fess up: you either know about this, or you didn’t. If you did know, were you proud? And if you didn’t know, what are you going to do about it?

surely not! I mean c’mon, we all know that only the U.S. government is evil :wink:

This line of propaganda has been working really well for the Canadian government - they’re so wrapped up in making America-bashing their national hobby their government can quite literally get away with murder while they look the other way. I wonder how much longer it will last. Bush has less than a year in office - it will be interesting to see what new bogeyman the Canadian government comes up with to provide a distraction once he’s gone.

So much for that Canadian badge on the old backpack. Time to start practicing the Aussie accent… Crickey!

marboulette

This line of propaganda has been working really well for the Canadian government - they’re so wrapped up in making America-bashing their national hobby their government can quite literally get away with murder while they look the other way. I wonder how much longer it will last. Bush has less than a year in office - it will be interesting to see what new bogeyman the Canadian government comes up with to provide a distraction once he’s gone.[/quote]

The Canadian government? We have the most vocally pro-US government in power since Mulroney in the 80s.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]

The Canadian government? We have the most vocally pro-US government in power since Mulroney in the 80s.[/quote]

Ah…When Irish eyes are Smiling. I remember Mulroney singing on stage with Reagan [although I was an Ed Broadbent supporter at the time [although much to young to vote].

[quote=“marboulette”]So much for that Canadian badge on the old backpack. Time to start practicing the Aussie accent… Crickey!

marboulette[/quote]

Keep practicing . . and that should be CRIKEY! :laughing:

Mucha Man has a point, so what then is old clunky seige weapon’s?

HG

End use provisions for defence contracts? How would, even if we could, stop the US from doing whatever it damn well pleases? Isn’t it quite evident that Canada’s acquiescence in US military strategic planning has it’s roots in WW2 continental defence, and was hammered out through NORAD? Isn’t Canada’s active particpation in NORAD of more weight, than the supposed conjecture that some of our uranium that may or may not have ended up as munitions used in Iraq?
There’s many a plant or factory in Southern Ontario & Quebec that produce some kind of product for use in the US military. So what? Should it all be perused for end-use provisions? Do you know how many communities would be affected by such draconian idealism? What else would we have the workers of the communities produce?
Hemp, perhaps?
Self-Adhesive Nipple Cover Pads?

Here’s the thread in question, is it not?
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=
Which you so obviously neglected to provide a link., even though you were the OP… as not many of the posters in that thread seem to suggest “they were proud of it, too”. And none of us mentioned Canadian sources of depleted uranium being used as munitions in Iraq because it smacks of one of those unprovable theories that are more about polemics & semantics than anything else.

[quote]The article cites depressing example after depressing example of Canada’s dirty deeds, not the least of which is limited to…
Funding Iraq’s interior ministry: Canada provides advisors and financial support to this ministry, which has been caught running torture centres. Thousands of its officers have been withdrawn for corruption, and it has been accused of working with death squads that executed a thousand people per month in Baghdad alone [/quote]
Those bureaucrats must have had ringside seats, maybe even lent a hand, is that what you’re saying?

Must be true, then!

Didn’t know, couldn’t know, won’t know. Most likely shan’t ever know. Would like to know, but obviously don’t need to know. Not really in a position to need to know, don’t you know?
What is there to be done about something that has not been proved, though which might happen to be a potential possibility, on a par with Alien abductions, secret illuminati cults, and the complete output to date from the fields of numerology, astrology, and sociology?

Yes, GingerMan, you’re right about the DU. I re-read the article and bealized it but decided not to edit my original post because enought people had read it already and I figured it would get pointed out… But I take it back, Canada is not producing DU.

Still, Canadians know about this: yes or no. The rest of it: yeah, Canucks aren’t killing babies and eating them for dinner or already, but you sure are in deeeeeeep. Deeper than someone who spends a lot of time bragging about how proud they are that Canada didn’t get dragged into the Iraq war (I’ve heard this from my Canadian friends personally, not saying from you) should be and still feel they have a right to run their mouths off.

I’d like to hear Canadians focusing on Canada. Specifically, I’d like to hear what they have to say on this issue. (And a lot of others). Does anybody actually want to talk about it? I sure hear a lot of Canadians talking about the Iraq war, but they always talk about the American involvement, never the Canadian involvement. Spotlight on you Canucks. Speak your minds already, i’d really like to hear it.

As if!.. AU has its own dirty war in PNG :astonished:

Now I feel like being mean!
You figured it would get pointed out, you poxy spewer of other’s slanted & perverted gibberish??
Isn’t that the very crux of lazy, limp-wristed trolling?
What are you trying to pull here?
You take it back, what kind of fuckery is this?
You take back a deliberate falsehood, which by your own admission you neglected to fix?
What is this, the dialetics of a nursery?

Know about what, honoring our commitments under NORAD & NATO?
Or your deliberate cover-up of falsehoods uttered?

You should stop watching so much TV, and stay away from The Toronto Star.
What on earth are you talking about?

And the shock of recognition,…
Most Canadians, especially the homegrown variety, are feverish gullible hacks who are oft so ignorantly lacking in their own self-awareness, that for the most part they only care to define themselves in terms of what they are not.

It’s quite obvious that Canada didn’t get dragged into Iraq, we’re merely a tiny cog in the Green Machine. Which our forefathers signed up for long ago, and which, given our lower power status, the vast mass of our territory, our limited (and often deluded) manpower, and our inexorable proximity to the US, we should bloody well honor, if not just as a matter of principle, then perhaps one of neccessity.

Ahhh…we send you guys depleted uranium and you send us news readers, hockey players and former 2nd City comedians, John Candy RIP.

I’d call it even.

oh…and Red Greene re-runs.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Ahhh…we send you guys depleted uranium and you send us news readers, hockey players and former 2nd City comedians, John Candy RIP.

I’d call it even.

oh…and Red Greene re-runs.[/quote]

Uh, we should not forget that you still owe us for Captain Kirk, Mary Pickford, Leslie Nielson, Lorne Green, Chief Dan George, Michael J. Fox, Pamela Anderson, and Paul Shaffer, et al… We need not as of yet go into the closet Canadians on the Muppet Show.

Let’s put it on one’s tab, shall we?
:wink:

Economic migrants.

Star Trek & Baywatch?
Two pivotal US shows, spanning several generations?
Both anchored by migratory Canucks?
That says as much about either country.
Face it, TC. You just haven’t been reading in between the lines.
We will, in a matter of 20 years, completely dominate your entertainment industry thus realizing an age old Canadian dream of trading one’s dignity for dollars, whilst pretending all the while to be something one is not.

John Candy was a damn fine one, though was he not?
Stoppin’ Tom was another fine one, …
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stompin’_Tom_Connors
youtube.com/watch?v=gkaa3I_tCZg

You guys peaked out at Lorne Green. Magnificent!

Bonanza!

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
Stoppin’ Tom was another fine one, …
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stompin’_Tom_Connors
youtube.com/watch?v=gkaa3I_tCZg[/quote]

My favorite Stompin’ Tom Song–The Man on the Moon is a Newfie
youtube.com/watch?v=LD1XhvT9gRc

I Like you GingerMan, but…

If Canada were involved in a war that wasn’t going well (oh wait! They are currently involved in two! :joker: I take that back as well :smiley: ) , and do you think they would blame the fact that the war wasn’t going well on another country that was “helping” by overseeing planning and commanding?

Let’s look at this tidbit (from the same article linked to on page one):

Providing war planners: At least two dozen Canadian war planners working at US Central Command in Florida were transferred to the Persian Gulf in early 2003 to help oversee the war’s complicated logistics.
Commanding the war: In 2004, Canadian Brigadier General Walt Natynczyk commanded 10 brigades totalling 35,000 troops. He was Second-in-Command of the entire Iraq War for that year.

Why! No wonder the mission wasn’t accomplished! Those Canadians screwed it all up!

p.s. If you ever meet Canadian Brigadier General Walt Natynczyk in person, please call him a “tiny cog” to his face. I’m sure he’ll understand.

wow, i learned somethign today…why isnt this discussed more often ?