Canada's Governor General Designate a Seperatist?

I said I’d leave this alone and I will. Just so long as this is put straight:

I got my B.A. in History (mostly Intellectual, history of ideas, that sort of thing) from the local university-college (a B.C. oddity that works). I got one M.A. in Political Science (Theory, thesis on Hobbes and Rational Choice), and another M.A. in English (thesis on Machiavelli’s influence on Shakespeare), both at an Ivy. Three degrees, hence third base. Have yet to decide on whether or not to do a Ph.D, and if so, it what field. I’m leaning towards Cognitive Science. And again, for the record, university ain’t the be-all and end-all when it comes to smarts. Nor is an Ivy League education all it’s cracked up to be, 'though the name does open doors.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I said I’d leave this alone and I will. Just so long as this is put straight:

I got my B.A. in History (mostly Intellectual, history of ideas, that sort of thing) from the local university-college (a B.C. oddity that works). I got one M.A. in Political Science (Theory, thesis on Hobbes and Rational Choice), and another M.A. in English (thesis on Machiavelli’s influence on Shakespeare), both at an Ivy. Three degrees, hence third base. Have yet to decide on whether or not to do a Ph.D, and if so, it what field. I’m leaning towards Cognitive Science. And again, for the record, university ain’t the be-all and end-all when it comes to smarts. Nor is an Ivy League education all it’s cracked up to be, 'though the name does open doors.[/quote]

I agree with you 100 percent – I prefer “street smarts” to academic ones. However, I’m interested how a person with a self-professed humble background such as yourself paid for four years of post-grad education in the US. Who helped you out more? – The Canadian government or the generous scholarships offered by the US universities and endowment funds? If it is the latter, why are you so appreciative of the Canadian government and of Canada’s mediocre educational system? Canadian student loans would only pay for a fraction of an American education. Either you had a rich patron or the US system helped you out. Either way – the private enterprise system has benefitted your education. You should embrace “private education” rather than knock it. You criticize the legacy admissions, but I’m sure you received money from the number of stipends, scholarships, and financial assistance programs that Ivy-league schools have as a result of generous endowments. You shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds you!

Why aren’t CBC journalists probing this woman’s past just a little deeper?

For those of you fluent in French:

patrickboucher.blogspot.com/2005 … -tait.html

This is written by a Quebec journalism student interning at Radio-Canada, Mme. Jean’s (now-former) place of employment. He spoke to staffers who know her well:

Selon mes sources bien inform

Governor General Elect’s Connections to the Marxist FLQ Terrorists:

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1462360/posts

The Governor General is the representative of the head of state of Canada, Queen Elizabeth II, and ,as such, is the office where Canadians must turn for a steady hand in any constitutional crisis. The office is, historically, understood to be above partisan politics. Jean, however, along with her immediate predecessor, is entirely beholden to the Liberal Party and is an enthusiastic proponent of its ongoing leftist social re-engineering project, but with the Boulanger article, her connections may offer reasons for more serious concerns.

“Michaelle Jean et les felquistes (Michaelle Jean and the F.L.Q.),” documents the ties that linked the soon-to-be Governor General and her film-maker husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond with the FLQ whose bomb-throwing, robbing, kidnapping and murdering career disturbed the peace in Quebec and this Dominion, thirty-five years ago.

Boulanger says that the soon-to-be Viceregal Consort, Jean-Daniel Lafond, has no truck with such “trashy” (de pacotille) politicians as Belinda Stronach and Jean Lapierre. The former philosophy professor, he says, deals only with pure revolutionaries, like the ones during the 1970 October Crisis, for example, whose violent behaviour, Boulanger proudly points out, provoked Ottawa to declare martial law and send the army into Quebec.

One example that should stir some of Canada’s longer-term memories, is of one of Lafond’s script writers and closest associates, Francis Simard. Simard was a member of the Chenier F.L.Q. cell who, together with his fellow terrorists, Paul and Jacques Rose and Bernard Lortie, seized Quebec’s deputy premier and labour minister, Pierre Laporte while he was playing football with his children. He later used Laporte’s religious medal to garrote him and stuffed his body in the trunk of a car.

During the crisis, seven people died and dozens were injured. One bomb was planted somewhere in Quebec every 10 days. The country hovered on the brink of collapse and the federal government declared martial law under the War Measures Act.

Boulanger, himself a script-writer, has had professional dealings with Lafond whose loving documentary about the FLQ “freedom fighters” has won accolades. He recalls visiting the future royal couple in their Petit Bourgogne apartment to discuss film writing. Before they got down to business, his host showed him round the place, pointing with particular pride to a recently renovated library. The man Lafond hired to do the renovations was none other than Jacques Rose, who not only put up shelves but also created a hidden compartment for Lafond to stash weapons in.

The same Jacques Rose likely built the fake wall behind which he and his fellow murderers hid while the police searched for them in vain. As Boulanger admiringly remarks, Lafond doesn’t keep company with just anyone.

In case anyone is thinking that Muggeridge is making it all up, I draw your attention to the comments made today in the Montreal Gazette by the separatist head of the Organization Against Canadian Corruption and Propaganda and a former president of the Societe St-Jean Baptiste, Gilles Rheaume to the effect that there is little doubt in Quebec that Jean and her husband are sovereigntists. Rheaume said, “In the nationalist circles, many people were sure that Mme. Jean and her husband were sovereigntists. Many persons believed that.”

Rheaume speaks for more than a few when he demands to know how Jean voted in the 1995 Quebec referendum. Rheaume said yesterday that Prime Minister Paul Martin should have checked Jean’s credentials more carefully and called him “an amateur to name a person who many believe is a sovereigntist, to name this person head of state.”

For nearly a week now Ms. Jean and her husband have been under fire over claims from hard-line separatists that they are sympathetic to their cause. The controversy began with an article in Le Qu

I’m also worried about her dual citizenship. She is a closet seperatist and a French citizen? :astonished:

Canada’s next governor general, who represents Britain’s Queen Elizabeth in this country, is a French citizen, her spokesperson said Wednesday.
Michaelle Jean, a Haitian-born journalist who immigrated to Canada as a child and settled in the mostly French-speaking province of Quebec, will assume her duties as of September 27, representing the queen, who is Canada’s head of state.
Her appointment was announced August 4 by Prime Minister Paul Martin.
Catherine Gagnaire, the spokesperson for the future governor general, told AFP Jean holds dual French-Canadian citizenship and is a French citizen through her marriage to French filmmaker Jean Daniel Lafond.
Lafond left France in 1974 and obtained Canadian citizenship in 1981. Several other famous Canadians also hold dual French citizenship, La Presse newspaper reported Wednesday, including Environment Minister Stephane Dion and former Quebec minister Louise Beaudouin.

adetocqueville.com/200508101 … e00664.htm

All the controversy in the media has made it quite apparent she should decline the position; after all, the Queen is supposed to be above this and so should her representative.

Ideally, the PM should admit she was a bad choice and choose someone else; but when has a Liberal PM ever admitted to making a bad decision?

Speaking of seperatism – western alienation is growing. Support for an independent Western Canada is at an all-time high. More than 34% of Canadians under the age of 30 in the four western provinces think the idea of separation should at least be explored on a cost-benefit basis. In Alberta, the number of respondents who feel sovereignty is worth looking into topped 40%.

The polls were conducted by a colleague, Prof. Faron Ellis, of Lethbridge Community College, who has developed a sharp-edged polling system that asks firm, rather than shaded questions on political, social and cultural issues.

That we are not, that the glue that is holding us to the rest of Canada, is cracking, shows a deep resentment of Martin, his government and the ruthless Liberal apparatus.

Now, if a reputable pollster – with no axe to grind, and paid neither by the federal government, a political party or some outfit with a vested interest in getting the answer they wanted – revealed 36-40% of Quebecers were inching towards separation the alarm bells would go off in the PMO.

Remember AdScam?

A quick $250 million to fly the Maple Leaf flag a little higher and sponsor (or supposedly sponsor) all kinds of feel-good Canadian events.

Yet, when separatist fever rises in Western Canada, nothing.

J

ust imagine how those pro-separatist numbers would soar – and harden – if Martin and his cronies made an overt grab for our energy resources, or when his covert manoeuvrings actually sink into the public’s consciousness.

The guess is the public’s realization of just how perfidious Martin and his Grit operatives are will become increasingly obvious, and the numbers will rise, or at least harden.

Fortunately, by the time Martin starts to get rattled by what’s happening out here, it will be far, far too late for him to start soft-soaping us with platitudes and trying the old confidence trick of holding out a hand in pseudo-friendship or holding some, ‘Let’s Listen to the West’ charade of a conference.

canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnist … 82031.html

Chewycorns wrote: [quote]Speaking of seperatism – western alienation is growing. Support for an independent Western Canada is at an all-time high. More than 34% of Canadians under the age of 30 in the four western provinces think the idea of separation should at least be explored on a cost-benefit basis. In Alberta, the number of respondents who feel sovereignty is worth looking into topped 40%.

The polls were conducted by a colleague, Prof. Faron Ellis, of Lethbridge Community College, who has developed a sharp-edged polling system that asks firm, rather than shaded questions on political, social and cultural issues.
[/quote]

Do you know the question you’re referring to? Is it this: “Western Canadians should begin to explore the idea of forming their own country.”

This is a firm question? begin to explore the idea? You’re again getting too mesmerized by the Calgary Sun and Paul Jackson, in particular.