Canadian AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS - No longer accepted

I was told by the Canadian Embassy (Trade Office…whatever) that as of May, 23rd, 2008. Taiwan will no longer accept the Single Certificate issued by them. But they did not know what they would accept. As I’m supposed to get married this month, this information would be of some use to me. Anyone know what I need to supply them with?

Edit: The answer is you need to get a non-marriage search from your home province’s Vital Statistics. And if you’re already married there…then just get one from another province.

Its that Sharia Law crap…they can’t be sure how many wifes you hockey puck’s have.

congrats mordeth.

can’t help you on the issue at hand, although i suggest you reason with them in the sense that “everything is already set, and we’ve already forked over $$$ to the restaurant, so if you don’t know what new document is required, can we just use the old way” … and see what comes of it.

good luck with the latest installment of canadian bureaucracy …

[quote=“xtrain”]congrats mordeth.

can’t help you on the issue at hand, although i suggest you reason with them in the sense that “everything is already set, and we’ve already forked over $$$ to the restaurant, so if you don’t know what new document is required, can we just use the old way” … and see what comes of it.

good luck with the latest installment of Canadian bureaucracy …[/quote]

Yeah, I hear you are supposed to do the paper work on the same day as the restaurant party? And if you don’t it’s not valid? Crazy.

check with BOCA or MOFA perhaps

So which BOCA should I be checking with…Boca Burgers? (and I’ll need the MOFA explained as well :wink: )

So which BOCA should I be checking with…Boca Burgers? (and I’ll need the MOFA explained as well :wink: )[/quote]

MOFA=Ministry of Foreign Affairs

BOCA=Boca Burgers–the resturant where the wedding will be held. Just kidding. That one has me stumped, too.

Bureau Of Consular Affairs

I didn’t know the Bureau Of Consular Affairs makes burgers?

Like all good civil servants… they go above and beyond the call of duty or the job

Which call of duty? I hear 4 is lots of fun. I already paid for it online…but haven’t yet downloaded as I’ve yet to upgrade my graphics card.

Which call of duty? I hear 4 is lots of fun. I already paid for it online…but haven’t yet downloaded as I’ve yet to upgrade my graphics card.[/quote]

See that’s where you’re going wrong, Mordeth. You need to download it through your network card.

Which call of duty? I hear 4 is lots of fun. I already paid for it online…but haven’t yet downloaded as I’ve yet to upgrade my graphics card.[/quote]

See that’s where you’re going wrong, Mordeth. You need to download it through your network card.[/quote]

LOL, :bravo:

Back on topic.

Got off the phone with the Canadian embassy. They gave us the number of the Taiwan office that handles these things. And the Taiwan people said they no longer accept the Single Certificate from the Embassy in Taiwan. So I have to have it sent from Canada. Any ideas on how to do that?

When I had to do it about 11 years ago, I got my dad to do it by proxy through a notary in Britland. It worked just fine.
He got the certificate, all embossed and stamped and signed, etc. Sent it to the ROC office in London along with an envelope addressed to me in Taiwan and some money. The office checked it, put their stamp on the back of it and sent it to me.
Relatively simple. I don’t know if its the same for Canada.

[quote=“sandman”]When I had to do it about 11 years ago, I got my dad to do it by proxy through a notary in Britland. It worked just fine.
He got the certificate, all embossed and stamped and signed, etc. Sent it to the ROC office in London along with an envelope addressed to me in Taiwan and some money. The office checked it, put their stamp on the back of it and sent it to me.
Relatively simple. I don’t know if its the same for Canada.[/quote]

After contacting Vital Statistics in Canada. It seems that most provinces (if not all) don’t have anything like a Single Status Affidavit. So Taiwan no longer accepts the one from our embassy…and our country doesn’t give any other kind. Fun, eh?

So I was talking with the embassy again and they said my best bet was to get one from them…the kind the government just announced they wouldn’t accept…and take that to the family registry office and then argue with them that that is the best I can do.

:s

They don’t have such a thing in Britland either. What i used was an official stamped letter from a notary public (our family solicitor in my case) that basically just said words to effect that
“I am (father’s name) and I hereby attest that my son (my name, Taiwan address & passport number) is not now, nor has ever been, married.”
Signed this day of etc.

(Dad’s signature)

Witnessed this day of etc. by

(Notary’s signature)

This was just on the notary’s A4 letterhead with his official embossed seal stamped on it.

its one of the reasons why I did the marriage deed in Guam. No need for single status certificate, just a notarized statement as per Sandman’s suggestion, and that can be done on Guam while you are there anyway.

[quote]They don’t have such a thing in Britland either. What i used was an official stamped letter from a notary public (our family solicitor in my case) that basically just said words to effect that
“I am (father’s name) and I hereby attest that my son (my name, Taiwan address & passport number) is not now, nor has ever been, married.”
Signed this day of etc.

(Dad’s signature)

(Notary’s signature)

This was just on the notary’s A4 letterhead with his official embossed seal stamped on it.[/quote]

My parents are dead.

Did Taiwan suggest you do something like that?

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote]They don’t have such a thing in Britland either. What i used was an official stamped letter from a notary public (our family solicitor in my case) that basically just said words to effect that
Signed this day of etc.

(Dad’s signature)

(Notary’s signature)

This was just on the notary’s A4 letterhead with his official embossed seal stamped on it.[/quote]

My parents are dead.

Did Taiwan suggest you do something like that?[/quote]
No. The head bloke at the British trade office suggested it “off the record.” The Taiwanese fuckwads suggested that I go and live in the UK for three months and get it myself.