Canadian born chinese..desperately needing help...please

hey…

ok i’ve noticed that many schools here prefer to hire white ppl…so i’ve been really only applying at schools that specify they want ABC or CBc’s…which are not many at all…

can anyone giveme any tips on which schools are CBC friendly?

also when i apply for a job should i just say upfront that i am chinese…or just dont say anything until the actual person to person interview?

please help…i’m really desparate to find a job…i am running out of money

Apply to EVERYONE, and include a photo. Sending a photo is a guaranteed way of letting them know what they’re getting. It weeds out the ones with prejudices, saving your time. I usually include a photo in case people want short hair or something equally irrelevant.

A photo is also more personal, and can do a lot to make you more hireable than the application from someone without. Classified ads online get a lot more views than ads without, whether it’s cars or dating.

Or don’t. I mean that if you have a chinese-sounding family name they’ll probably figure it out. But don’t hold off on contacting people just because they don’t specify ABC etc. Apply to every job that seems halfway decent. Even if you end up working for a wanker you can always quit when you find something better. The priority is to get some practical experience and to pay your living costs.

[quote=“smurfettex”]hey…

ok I’ve noticed that many schools here prefer to hire white ppl…so I’ve been really only applying at schools that specify they want ABC or CBc’s…which are not many at all…

can anyone giveme any tips on which schools are CBC friendly?

also when I apply for a job should I just say upfront that I am Chinese…or just dont say anything until the actual person to person interview?

please help…I’m really desparate to find a job…I am running out of money[/quote]

Check out a school called “David’s.” (The full name may be something like “David’s English Center” or "David’s English School). I know they once had quite a few Taiwanese teachers and some of the better English speaking ones made about the same money as the native speakers. Good luck.

What is David like to work for?

This is my 1000th post by the way.

[quote=“bob”]What is David like to work for?

This is my 1000th post by the way.[/quote]

I think that David’s was a pretty good place to work at. They paid about average but they always paid on time and never tried to cheat the workers that I knew about. They also seem to have helpful office workers who had been trained well who were helpful to the teachers with things like paperwork that the foreigners needed to complete.
Most people working there seem to be pretty happy generally. I think as far as cram schools are concerned it is a decent place to be employed.

I don’t want to hijack smurftexx thread too far but if I could just ask one more question about David’s.

Do they have a set curiculum or am I free to use my own?

Thanks in advance.

I promise no more questions after this :blush:

[quote=“bob”]I don’t want to hijack smurftexx thread too far but if I could just ask one more question about David’s.

Do they have a set curiculum or am I free to use my own?

Thanks in advance.

I promise no more questions after this :blush:[/quote]

Yes, you are free to teach the classes in the way that you want. Although they may have a book they want you to use (and have the students buy), they don’t seem to care at all if you actually use the book and if you talk to them and explain why you want to teach the classes without any advice from them, it is no problem. Actually, the school gives the teachers a lot of freedom.
No problem about your questions. Ask as many as you want. Hope it helps.

I don’t have any more questions now but probably will have after I apply. Thanks. :notworthy:

Bob,

I talked a few times with Simon at David’s and he seemed like a decent sort. But I don’t think they were willing to pay more than 6-650/hr. His contact details:
Work: +886 2 2522 4004
E-Mail: simon@david.com.tw

Smurflette, you’re a Canadian who happens to look Chinese - not a chinese who happens to speak English, right? Make sure that people understand the difference.

Thanks Stragbasher. Actually I have one more question. Do they start you out with a group and then hope and pray that you can hold on to them or is the group constantly being freshened up with new students? ( I would prefer the second option.)

Dunno. I never worked there, on account of the money. But Simon seemed like a very decent guy when I talked to him numerous times a year ago.

It’s the first option you mentioned.

Try Wall Street Institute. They are not only willing to hire CBC’S and ABC’s, they also are willing to move them into management positions. This is a refreshing change from most chains which only want to present white faces to the students and their families.

now that foreigner are getting fired from their kindee’s? i’ve heard of a couple of white guys getting the ax and several other schools getting massive fines of 150,ooo NT. Of course, this is just what i’m hearing, and i don’t know any person or school personally. Does anyone out there know what’s really going on?

This is indeed true. And while I still believe WSI has some merit as an employer, vis-a-vie the guaranteed hours (even tho the pay is sub-standard, u get a consistent paycheck every month), the last thing you would want to do at WSI is get involved as a manager.

The day to day is being run by a manipulative and dishonest foreign guy. He recently undermined all his managers with his need to control all things. Yes, WSI will pay an ABC/CBC/BBC/OBZ/NZBC/SABC the same as they pay all foreign nationals. The work is simple and the extra (unpaid) stuff is minimal.

I no longer work for them specifically because of the previously mentioned damager, erm, manager.

Good luck and PM me if you’d like to explore another opportunity.

Toe

Hess and Ko-jen (formerly ELSI) are happy to take on native English speakers of any race/ colour/ ethnic group/ whatever. You just need a uni degree and a passport from the UK, US, Canada, NZ, Oz, or SA (did I miss any?).

Why don’t you guys wake up?

“My mama breast fed me instead of our pet pig, now I am linguistically impaired”. What can I do?

“My great uncle was cross eyed and now nobody wants to play with me.” What can I do?

“Grandfather Hong built all the railroads in America” and I can’t get a job."
What can I do?

"I try not to squint when I speak and everybody tells me I am “funny”. What can I do?

This board is taking the tack of tealit and every left wing troller and his/her humpin’ mama is posting here to ask everybody to put some jelly under their ass so they can get ahead. LOL

Read this all you whining and crying CBC’s and ABC’c and whatever else BC’s there are reading this.

So what? It’s like life anywhere in the world. SELL YOURSELF and quit wasting your time in forums like these whining about,

“Oh, my God! I have yellow skin. What am I going to do?”

“Oh my God, I have slanted eyes! What am I going to do?”

“Oh my God, my last name is Whang. What am I going to do?”

Get your shit together and go kick ass! Wow! Is that so hard?

THAT’S WHAT THE REST OF US DO!

Frankly, all you abc, cbc lost in the woods, waking up to reality, kiddies are starting to wear a bit thin.

In a nutshell, FOAD and GAFL!

This is indeed true. And while I still believe WSI has some merit as an employer, vis-a-vie the guaranteed hours (even tho the pay is sub-standard, u get a consistent paycheck every month), the last thing you would want to do at WSI is get involved as a manager.

The day to day is being run by a manipulative and dishonest foreign guy. He recently undermined all his managers with his need to control all things. Yes, WSI will pay an ABC/CBC/BBC/OBZ/NZBC/SABC the same as they pay all foreign nationals. The work is simple and the extra (unpaid) stuff is minimal.

I no longer work for them specifically because of the previously mentioned damager, erm, manager.

Good luck and PM me if you’d like to explore another opportunity.

Toe[/quote]
Are these sorts of posts allowed here again? Naming a school and calling someone at the school dishonest and manipulative?? If so, I have someone in mind to warn her against also.