Canadian citizen seeking ROC passport

Hello,

I am a 23 year old Canadian who will be moving to Taiwan and living there for a few years. Do any of you know the steps it takes for me to obtain an ROC passport (ie. dual citizenship)?

Both my parents immigrated to Canada from Taiwan in the 70s. My father has since moved back to the island. I am unsure if this information will ease the process.

If this question has already been answered, please direct me to the appropriate thread. Otherwise, any helpful information will be appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I tried calling the VISA office here in Canada a number of times but there is very little chance of speaking to a flesh and blood operator. I’m sure I can get a quicker and more thorough response here.

Were you born in Taiwan or overseas?

Secondly if you become a Taiwan National in order to get an ROC passport you may have to do military service.

You may be able to get an ROC passport that does not give you an ID card but you would then then a visa to enter there. After doing so you could get an ARC to work.

You may be able to obtain ROC nationalit thru citizenship by descent if you were registered her on your fathers household registration before. Ask you father to check with his household registration office.

Thank you Satellite, I appreciate it.

Hey, completely off-topic and more out of curiosity than anything, but I read from your posts that you’ve been naturalised as a Taiwanese citizen. Did you take the compulsory military service in Taiwan or did you work in one of the government roles? How did you find it? I just have this wonderful image of a white guy amongst a load of Taiwanese cadets and I have to know :slight_smile:

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Were you born in Taiwan or overseas?

Secondly if you become a Taiwan National in order to get an ROC passport you may have to do military service.

You may be able to get an ROC passport that does not give you an ID card but you would then then a visa to enter there. After doing so you could get an ARC to work.

You may be able to obtain ROC nationalit through citizenship by descent if you were registered her on your fathers household registration before. Ask you father to check with his household registration office.[/quote]

I thought I locked all of those away, dammit! :wink: