Canadian civil rights law and related issues

I think you seriously underestimate the motivations of the people who do this sort of thing. They’re fanatics. They don’t care about going to jail. I know this for sure because, as I said, it’s already illegal.

Well … this is an interesting one. It’s generally covered by a professional code of conduct (“thou shalt not perform unnecessary and/or disfiguring medical procedures”) but I agree there’s a lot of leeway there. Infant circumcision, for example, is still legal in most of the world despite the fact that many men (10-40%, depending on who you believe) feel that they’ve been violated by having it done, and occasionally it can cause serious medical problems.

In these cases it’s a lot easier to demonstrate actual harm if you wish to outlaw the practice … and yet circumcision hasn’t been outlawed. You’ve so far given me no evidence that psychotherapy aimed at ‘conversion’ (either gender dysphoria or sexual orientation) causes serious and intractable harm comparable to (say) infibulation. Can you produce some research showing a high rate of psychological problems which can be directly traced to therapy (as opposed to the patient’s original problem as he/she perceives it)?

Correlation is not causation. FGM is declining (although not nearly quickly enough) for all sorts of reasons. Mostly, the women who perform the procedures (yes, it’s usually women) are:

1. Getting old and dying. This is the usual way backward ideas die out.
  2. Noticing that the entire planet considers them to be backward and barbaric.
  3. Concluding for themselves that it’s not a good idea.

FIFY. The law tracks public opinion. That’s why infibulation etc is legal in backward countries.

I’m arguing that the amendment

a) Addresses a problem that was never there (the law covers it already)
b) It doesn’t even do what you think it does. It outlaws something that is either innocuous or useful, and legitimizes backstreet ‘therapists’.

Maybe so, but the Law in most countries considers motivation in only one context: sentencing. It is not used to define the nature of the crime or to establish guilt.

Well yes. But the amendment actually legitimizes those groups, like I said. “Word of mouth” blah blah is the way all shady underground organisations operate. Professionals put out their shingle, because they have nothing to hide. The law will now create a whole new industry - qualified gender therapists - operating in the shadows, like abortion doctors in 1960s England.