Canadian murdered in Yonghe

According to the first article posted, he was a criminal and involved in the trading of drugs.

Doesnt justify anything. Just saying he obviously got mixed up with a bad crowd.

2 Likes

My Chinese 0, so please elaborate. What kind of stuff was he in to ?

I kinda wondered about that. His friend in the photos has weedleaf on his socks. Means nothing of course, but still.

Regardless, this is really horrible, and I feel for the guy’s family, and his wife’s as well. It’s a lot to process for all of them I’m sure.

1 Like

「此外,死者Ryan為毒品通緝犯,曾遭警方查緝大量毒品,懷疑為毒品糾紛導致的分屍命案。」 Was an update posted this evening. Basically, he was a “wanted” drug dealer who had been investigated by the police for hard, elicit drugs (or a large quantity of drugs) and was even a suspect in a drug-related murder.

Pardon my translation if it’s not perfect. I take this information, although it was mentioned as a “by the way” in the Chinese news and not included in any English news report I’ve seen. I hate to assume, but it would be somewhat comforting to think that it wasn’t a “random” killing and dismemberment, but may have been drug-related revenge. Again, hate to assume, but it makes me, who is not mixed up in drugs and criminal investigations, feel a bit less nervous. Although anyone who is capable of dismembering another human being is scary in any context! Nobody deserves that kind of brutality, so prayers for his friends and family.

3 Likes

Weird, haven’t seen that mentioned in the tv news. And for anyone who might have been involved in drugs, he lived quite humbly.

My first thought was also drugs, that kind of dismemberment is commonplace in the old country, but white bags? All body parts close by? Not very professional.

Going back to the dog. The neighbors say they saw him going out to walk the dog. Then the dog came back by himself. Moreover, there seems to be some blood at his apartment building, suggesting foul play started there.

No matter what happened, hope it is solved promptly. Guy has a daughter.

I had no idea he had a daughter. Perhaps conveniently omitted information from the news reports. An additional level of tragedy. As for what I quoted, the local cops have depicted foreign victims in a slanderous light before. Plus, they can’t even get the age consistent, within a decade, so if it’s likely mostly speculation at this point.

2 Likes

My daughter was his friend. They walked their dogs together. Lulu had run out of time the police station and many people are looking for her. I’m going to try again tomorrow and other groups are helping.

3 Likes

Tragic I’m certain the people responsible will be caught.
Taiwan gangsters do not as a rule murder people because they know they will be caught.
So I doubt it was a mob hit like in the West.
However not to say the person or persons responsible are not deranged,
Anyone with any connection will be investigated. Was he involved with another woman? Did his wife commit suicide or accidental death by drowning?

This kind of death will be investigated by Taiwan police in depth. I’m confident the perps will be caught.
Unless killers were ordered from say China. Flew in and flew right out then no they won’t be caught.

Doesn’t make sense. Leaving the body in rather plain sight . Head and limbs cut off and put in plastic bags but left easily discoverable.
It’s not a professional hit.

What time of day was he attacked? Did he happen upon some druggies during a transaction and was killed on the spur of the moment?

All plausible, but the dismemberment is the biggest indicator. Who does that? Not even a psycho on the spur of the moment. He had a predictable pattern of walking LuLu there, so it seems quite planned and premeditated.

Reminds me of all the CCTV footage of the foreign dude catching a ride by a bus on his skateboard. Certainly someone saw something. If not, gangster threats are enough to keep people silent (if there were observers). Why attack the dog? That just seems weird. If it’s attracting attention, you would think the dog would be killed, rather than incidentally wounded.

No way was it spur of the moment. Why go through the trouble of dismembering unless there was a statement to be made?

1 Like

Taiwanese reporters often blow drugs out of proportion. Like a guy growing one plant of Cannabis is painted as a drug lord in danger to the public lol. Or ridiculous estimate of drugs seizures worth.

5 Likes

I spent a little time creeping on his facebook. Couldn’t help myself. Seems like he was well liked.

I’m going with a family member blaming him on the wife’s drowning and stalking him until emotions got the best of them. . but who knows…

True we need that Taiwanese American crime investigator.

Yes more likely he was targeted .
The head and four limbs cut off means something to the killer or killers. The dog was there and was cut on the snout . Probably ran off and thus was spared.

That being said… Foreigners are often blamed for the drug scene in Taiwan. Mostly this is unfair, unless you recognise that most of the drugs come through China, Philippines, or other Asian countries (foreigners with similar skin color). It’s a growing epidemic in Taiwan, however, that is often UNDER reported among locals. I spoke to an elementary school principal in Pingdong who says it is an ongoing issue with parents. Mostly Ketamine, some pot, other prescription drugs. One mother has to wear diapers due to incontinence from Ketamine abuse. Others in the know have mentioned how naïve I am about the drug scene in Taiwan, believe it or not.

4 Likes

Seems like it’s personal to me as well. Drug kills would have either been very brutal statements for everyone to see or well hidden and we never find the body.

In the military, I think everyone in my unit said they tried K once at least. Some of them pretty goody goody looking kids that you wouldn’t believe. I was shocked when my bunk mate who pressures me to brush my teeth after eating cookies did lines of K in the video cafe lol.

Or most are made right here in good 'ole Taiwan where the precursors are readily available, with low visibility, and then shipped out to China, Philippines and other Asian countries.

1 Like

From the signs I see in the local yokal hospitals/clinics, it tastes chronic use of Ketamine to develop negative effects. But I’m a bit of a prude. Love me some (lotsa) red wine, but have never done any drugs. I’d try pot, NOT HERE, but in Canada or the Netherlands, but that’s about as far as I’d go.

The medical system in Taiwan is cracking down on prescription drug abuse (I’ve been called out for coming back for sleeping pills), but the underground market still seems to be operating without push back.

https://tw.appledaily.com/local/realtime/20180822/1415944

Saw this. . I’m reading the google translated version as my chinese is still terrible. All I see mentioned is marijuana.

And there’s also this :

In addition, the neighbors also said that the deceased usually did not have a good time with the surrounding residents. The deceased had also pierced the neighbor’s locomotive tires, not a good foreigner.