Canadian murdered in Yonghe

My first day in Taiwan, my supervisor (主任) took me for some bubble tea, like he was waiting for this for months. He says, “Does it taste good?” (I’m likely giving his English the benefit of the doubt.). I says “Not bad. Pretty cheap compared to my home country.” (I had some concepts of currency conversion at that point). He says, “You know it’s made from frog eggs, right?” This was the joke he had waited months to make. I says, “Actually it’s made from tapioca.” He didn’t understand and was sad that he failed to trick me. A silent ride thereafter.

2 Likes

Go back a little further to 10 Oct, 17 (jahbenty)
“I just got my girl a manager job at the tattoo studio I go to. what have you done for your lady lately”
I’m confused. Were Ryan and Brent friends at this point? If they were, it seems a little callous to make a post like this after the accident. I guess he didn’t know Ryan’s wife. Otherwise, I’d expect a mention of her accident.
Speaking of the accident, there’s a youtube video above. Look at the waves crashing in to the beach. Srsly? Ryan took his wife (how many Taiwanese can swim) into water like that? Listening to him talk to the media about it kinda creeped me out.

He was reportedly sleeping on the couch at the tattoo shop at the time that Cat Diamond was the manager.

And we’re 100% that Cat Diamond was Ryan’s wife? I’m confused about this point. Basically, did he know Ryan’s wife or not?

a

Yes, this is what the news has reported.

Thank you for your reply. In that case, that tweet is a little weird. Someone he knew dies, and there’s no mention of it except to congratulate himself on getting his girlfriend a job. (10 Oct, 17, @jahbenty)

Who are these people?

Huh…
I never thought of it like that.
That’s absolutely horrible.

@jahbenty 07 apr 17
“I’m living in Taiwan one of the safest countries in the world. Money isn’t everything, but the salary and universal healthcare make it great”

you can’t make this shit up.

@jahbenty 07 apr 19
“I’m living in Taoyuan jail, one of the safest jails in the world. Incarceration isn’t everything, but the joss stick making and cabbage and rice lunches make it great”

40284630_10155778559453870_4128833373965647872_n

It’s just coincidence that he’s talking about bringing his girl to Taiwan less than 2 weeks before Cat Diamond drowned.

It’s just coincidence that he describes himself as a “sinker” the day before Cat Diamond drowns. It’s just coincidence that in Marine training a “sinker” is someone who drowns easily. It’s just an innocuous, common phrase that could mean anything.

It’s just coincidence that the manager of the shop he’s living in dies in a drowning and he didn’t post anything about it. The guy who posts constantly about everything. Must have slipped his mind.

It’s just a coincidence that 2 days after Cat Diamond drowned he’s celebrating that his girl got Cat’s old job.

1 Like

Eh I think we’ve all gathered he’s not your run of the mill English teacher by now…

1 Like

I looked through his twitter. He wasn’t a prolific poster especially not about local Taiwan stuff.
Hook, line and sinker is a common English phrase, could mean anything really.

You’re also assuming that Brent was on the beach with Ryan and his wife that day? Is that what you mean?

I’m not assuming anything, but if I were a detective, I’d want to look over the drowning case again very carefully.

No shoutout to Binglang?

It’s also just coincidence that the dog went missing and a 100,000 NT$ reward is posted.

I have a logistical question. We can all agree such events put the foreign community in a bad light in Taiwan. However, family members of the accused did not participate in the crime. Do they visit Taiwan to support the accused emotionally? Are there good Samaritans that provide outreach to the families of the alleged perpetrators? Is that something embassies provide or is it usually community members? Am curious about the support services provided. Is it usually long term folks that do this? Just curious how cohesive the expat community is to the victim`s family, as well as to the accused. After all, it is a foreign environment, and newcomers could find the whole process Byzantine to say the least.