Canadian murdered in Yonghe

That is what the Apple Daily claims he said. Again, salt please.

1 Like

Whoa, chilling story indeed. Foreigners/immigrants/expats being used as a scapegoat seems to be a pretty universal, or at least global, go-to in the playbook for bureaucracies. “It’s not our problem, it’s the damn outsiders!”

Having a dual passport, if shit ever hit the fan on anything, I`d use my UK passport

What do you mean by “anything”?
If you’re planning to kill someone and scatter their parts all over the park, please let us know in advance.

1 Like

What an idiotic statement. Consular services are supposed to help out on a range of issues. If things ever become serious for any of these, I would look for effective assistance. For example, assistance after an earthquake, etc. if I were living in Taiwan. Registering for e-letters, etc. Would prefer UK over Canucky. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consular_assistance

Calm your tits, Chewie. It’s a joke.

Don’t go getting into trouble now.

1 Like

From the story sounds like UK, Belgium, etc also didnt do much if any more for their citizens

Not much more, but still more in most instances. Taiwan TECO offices are pretty good in helping their citizens.

Wow, they have put him in solitary—not able, wanting, or allowed to communicate with other people.

The New Taipei District Court ruled Wednesday that an American national suspected of involvement in the murder of a Canadian man in New Taipei last month be held incommunicado after being determined a flight risk and likely to conspire with others to cover up his alleged crime.

The irony of the random ad that popped up next to this article about Mayer:

Screenshot%20(1912)

Probably a safe bet that most of the normally employed “motivational techniques” were avoided.

Fuck, not only 20 points for them using “incommunicado”, but a bigass 50 POINT BONUS score for using it correctly. The mind boggles.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s one mistake in the entire sentence! They even slipped the subjunctive in there

Yeah, someone fucked up, deffo.

Probably just an indication that they airlifted the entire sentence in from a more respectable publication.

2 Likes

Did noone look at the screenshot of the story?!

Screenshot%20(1912)

Caption says “Get High and Win”, is this Ryan’s former side business advertisement or a competitor looking to grab his old patrons?

This is a joke on their part, how I imagine it came: “OK let’s go there, four or five men, totally overdressed in combat gear, and I mean PACKED, and we’ll put on our most serious death stare faces”. For days and even now still they have laughing fits when thinking back…

As an aside, in my course of employment I have two middle aged to older women at a table in front of me .

Woman A. Why does Taiwan care, its foreigner on foreigner violence. Ship him back to the USA and let them deal with it.

Me. It happened here. The USA doesn’t concern itself with a murder that happened in Taiwan.

Woman B. Looking embarrassed.
But the crime was committed here so it’s our problem.

Woman A. Still adamant … he didn’t kill a Taiwanese so it’s not our problem. Why should we spend money on him. Just let the USA deal with it.

Me… so if he was taiwanese?

A. Of course we should deal with it.

I think woman B was just being polite but even so.

1 Like

Some of you keep criticizing the quality of local English news, but I wonder how many of you can write in Chinese, even write in Chinese like a twelve-year old Taiwanese.

Yes but we’re not putting ourselves out there as a professional organization in Chinese.

I wasn’t complaining but just saying

1 Like