Canadian stereotypes on 7-11 commercials?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
Anyway, if anyone is interested, one of Taipei’s few microbreweries, Jolly Brew Pub, has a new rye ale which is quite good. :thumbsup:

Do avoid that place on Zhonghua near Ximen MRT. It’s dreadful.[/quote]

Actually it’s on Hengyang Rd. The rye ale is good. I don’t like the Hengyang place too much, echoey, crap music, no bar, faux Thai food, and no outside seating. I suspect it will do very well though despite not being to my taste. It’s packed at lunch.

Umm… OK, I guess they are both hoppy.

There’s a lot of great beer in the States, especially in the west coast, but I think credit primarily goes to the English and their real ale movement back in the 70s.

I have tasted beers from all over the world. Not just a beer from each country, I literally picked a country, and drank as much variety of that country’s beer as I could. I have to say, everyone has good and bad beer (as we all know), but as far as the worst beer anywhere goes (by country), I have personally never tasted beer as bad as what they have in England. I mean, every beer I have ever had from England was not just “not good”… it was terrible. Funny thing, one of my ex’s said the same thing, “England has the worst beer”. Take it a step further, I was having lunch with a Taiwanese couple who owns a school in Taichung, and all they do is travel the world (some truly beautiful pictures and stories), and they both said (without me even bringing it up) that by far the worst beer they ever tasted anywhere was from England, and that it was ALL bad beer. They didn’t seem to care for the food, either.

Speaking of all this beer, I am having a cook out tonight, and i need to stock up!

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Anyway, if anyone is interested, one of Taipei’s few microbreweries, Jolly Brew Pub, has a new rye ale which is quite good. :thumbsup:

Do avoid that place on Zhonghua near Ximen MRT. It’s dreadful.[/quote]

Actually it’s on Hengyang Rd. The rye ale is good. I don’t like the Hengyang place too much, echoey, crap music, no bar, faux Thai food, and no outside seating. I suspect it will do very well though despite not being to my taste. It’s packed at lunch…[/quote]

I know Jolly is on Hengyang. I am talking about another place on Zhonghua which has dreadful beer from Ilan.

I like the Hengyang place if mostly because it is helping to give that street’s old buildings a new life.

[quote=“biggyweiting”]I have tasted beers from all over the world. Not just a beer from each country, I literally picked a country, and drank as much variety of that country’s beer as I could. I have to say, everyone has good and bad beer (as we all know), but as far as the worst beer anywhere goes (by country), I have personally never tasted beer as bad as what they have in England. I mean, every beer I have ever had from England was not just “not good”… it was terrible. Funny thing, one of my ex’s said the same thing, “England has the worst beer”. Take it a step further, I was having lunch with a Taiwanese couple who owns a school in Taichung, and all they do is travel the world (some truly beautiful pictures and stories), and they both said (without me even bringing it up) that by far the worst beer they ever tasted anywhere was from England, and that it was ALL bad beer. They didn’t seem to care for the food, either.

Speaking of all this beer, I am having a cook out tonight, and I need to stock up![/quote]

It depends if you like ale and bitters or not. They also tend to serve them warm or room temperature in some places. I like some British ales and bitters but a lot of the stuff on draught there is not good. Their chain breweries are pretty awful aswell. Some of their popular stout beers like Boddingtons are a rip off of some beers invented in Ireland like Guinness and Kilkenny and Smithwicks.

To say that all English beer and food is bad is ridiculous, and tells you the people trying it didn’t make an effort to stretch their palate.

The only people in Australia who drink Fosters are tourists. I’ve never known an Aussie to touch the stuff.

Actually, it was the Brits who started the microbrewing revolution, with CAMRA, about 15 years before the Americans caught on.

Really? I travelled Australia for 6 months in 1986 and it was served in every bar across the country and it was all locals drinking it. Not that much tourism yet at that time.

I see, but the focus on ales meant it was fairly limited to the UK it seems.

Really? I travelled Australia for 6 months in 1986 and it was served in every bar across the country and it was all locals drinking it. Not that much tourism yet at that time.[/quote]

Tastes may have been different then. Through the first half of the 90’s when I worked in bars, it was only ever foreign tourists who ordered it.

In Australia, the breweries have tried to bottle / can a lot of the popular drafts and they just don’t taste the same. The most popular draft in the places I worked was Tooheys New, and it’s not bad from the keg but fucking vile stuff in a can or bottle.

Really? I travelled Australia for 6 months in 1986 and it was served in every bar across the country and it was all locals drinking it. Not that much tourism yet at that time.[/quote]

Tastes may have been different then. Through the first half of the 90’s when I worked in bars, it was only ever foreign tourists who ordered it.[/quote]

Yeah silly tourists (takes a slurp of his Very Bad), burp. :slight_smile:

Tastes may have been different then. Through the first half of the 90’s when I worked in bars, it was only ever foreign tourists who ordered it.[/quote]

Yeah silly tourists (takes a slurp of his Very Bad), burp. :slight_smile:[/quote]

VB is the kind of beer that people take to barbecues when they know that the beer will be drunk by others. :smiley:

It’s usually considered a “safe” beer. No one really hates it but no one loves it either, so it’s good to have on hand for unexpected guests. And it’s cheap.

[quote=“biggyweiting”]I have tasted beers from all over the world. Not just a beer from each country, I literally picked a country, and drank as much variety of that country’s beer as I could. I have to say, everyone has good and bad beer (as we all know), but as far as the worst beer anywhere goes (by country), I have personally never tasted beer as bad as what they have in England. I mean, every beer I have ever had from England was not just “not good”… it was terrible. Funny thing, one of my ex’s said the same thing, “England has the worst beer”. Take it a step further, I was having lunch with a Taiwanese couple who owns a school in Taichung, and all they do is travel the world (some truly beautiful pictures and stories), and they both said (without me even bringing it up) that by far the worst beer they ever tasted anywhere was from England, and that it was ALL bad beer. They didn’t seem to care for the food, either.

Speaking of all this beer, I am having a cook out tonight, and i need to stock up![/quote]

British food notwithstanding, the UK has some truly fine bevvies. They invented I.P.A. after all.
Not sure if you are making a disctintion between the Limey bevvy, and that of the rest of the UK, including Ireland.
So cough it up, Yank!
Which beer was terrible?
England has the worst beer?
A ludicrous statement!
Taiwan beer has to rank amongst the worst swill, in the world, second only to that of China.

But then what do I know? I love a Porter, a Bitter, an Ale.
The only thing I have to complain about English pubs is their opening hours.
:imp:

But take a lot of what I say with a grain of salt - my knowledge is more from selling the stuff rather than drinking it. I was always more a Jack and soda or red wine drinker, and these days on the rare occasions I have alcohol (maybe once or twice a year), I’ll drink cider.

About the advert though, it was pretty rubbish. I don’t even know who it was aimed at. I don’t think it would appeal many visitors/expats or whoever. Besides, if it was, shouldn’t it have been in English? It seemed more of a piss take than anything. I’ve started a one man stand against 7-11. I refuse to go back until that stupid advert stops airing, and that means a lot to me, as I live above a 7-11. I’m going to start going to Family instead, I much prefer their new beer advert where the Japanese one falls down - now that’s funny!

Thankfully Carrefour has a rather decent selection in some stores these days. The Stokes gold was a good recommendation.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“biggyweiting”]I have tasted beers from all over the world. Not just a beer from each country, I literally picked a country, and drank as much variety of that country’s beer as I could. I have to say, everyone has good and bad beer (as we all know), but as far as the worst beer anywhere goes (by country), I have personally never tasted beer as bad as what they have in England. I mean, every beer I have ever had from England was not just “not good”… it was terrible. Funny thing, one of my ex’s said the same thing, “England has the worst beer”. Take it a step further, I was having lunch with a Taiwanese couple who owns a school in Taichung, and all they do is travel the world (some truly beautiful pictures and stories), and they both said (without me even bringing it up) that by far the worst beer they ever tasted anywhere was from England, and that it was ALL bad beer. They didn’t seem to care for the food, either.

Speaking of all this beer, I am having a cook out tonight, and I need to stock up![/quote]

British food notwithstanding, the UK has some truly fine bevvies. They invented I.P.A. after all.
Not sure if you are making a disctintion between the Limey bevvy, and that of the rest of the UK, including Ireland.
So cough it up, Yank!
Which beer was terrible?
A ludicrous statement!
Taiwan beer has to rank amongst the worst swill, in the world, second only to that of China.

:imp:[/quote]

Absolutely. You have to go to a decent pub. Some shitty chain with lo lo prices that only sells a few different things isn’t for the discerning palate, it’s for peasants to get leathered on the cheap. Seek out the good shit and you might be pleasantly surprised. Or not: if you’re looking for ice old fizz, or Guinness, you’ll be disappointed because those IPAs and ales aren’t what everyone wants but it’s daft to say the beer’s ALL crap here.

Ditto food. We have world class ingredients and restaurants, we have utter shit that I wouldn’t give to my dog. My students say British food is shit yet every day, they alternate between Abdul’s, a fried chicken outlet that offers 6 pieces for a fiver, Dominos pizza and the student cafeteria. Yawn. If you can’t find anything nice to eat in urban Britain, you’re being lazy, like the Taiwan newbs who eat in lunch buffets everyday and complain that Taiwanese food is just greasy cold cabbage!

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“biggyweiting”]I have tasted beers from all over the world. Not just a beer from each country, I literally picked a country, and drank as much variety of that country’s beer as I could. I have to say, everyone has good and bad beer (as we all know), but as far as the worst beer anywhere goes (by country), I have personally never tasted beer as bad as what they have in England. I mean, every beer I have ever had from England was not just “not good”… it was terrible. Funny thing, one of my ex’s said the same thing, “England has the worst beer”. Take it a step further, I was having lunch with a Taiwanese couple who owns a school in Taichung, and all they do is travel the world (some truly beautiful pictures and stories), and they both said (without me even bringing it up) that by far the worst beer they ever tasted anywhere was from England, and that it was ALL bad beer. They didn’t seem to care for the food, either.

So cough it up, Yank!
Which beer was terrible?
A ludicrous statement!

:imp:[/quote]

Well, I don’t doubt there are good beers in England, it seems that anywhere that people drink beer, there will be good beer available. I just know that my personal experience of English beers has been pretty bad. I need to look at the videos to remember which ones I tried (I did a 9 part series on “Beers of the World”). I was also just referring to England, not all of the UK.
I also do appreciate that they invented the I.P.A., as IPA’s are my favorite. It’s all about the hops for me. Once me and my buddies brewed a beer we called “Hop F U C K”, because it was quadruple fermented with as many types of hops as we could get into it. We wanted to see just how far we could take it. Can you have TOO MUCH hops? The answer is YES, oh my god yes, I could not stomach even an entire glass of that stuff. It burned, lol.
Oh, and it was my Taiwanese friends who commented on the terrible food, I personally have very limited experience with English food, and the stuff I did have seemed pretty basic to me. Not fantastic, not crap, just food.

It’s just different tastes. Most of my Brit friend would loathe Taiwanese food.

Wow man WTF? You are looking for logic and reason in a TV commercial…
I suggest you take the stick from thy ass and get over yourself. It’s a TV advert for Christ’s sake. BTW complaining about the the depiction of Canadians and then suggestions it should be Americans just makes you look like a douche…