Canadian Teachers Caught in Korean Crackdown

Looks like only Canadians were targeted in this crackdown. US$30,000 for breaking a locals jaw? I guess Taiwan is not so bad after all. :smiling_imp:

[i]Nearly 50 English teachers from Canada have been detained, deported or investigated on allegations of visa fraud in South Korea, a country seeking to purge itself of young Westerners increasingly regarded as unqualified, unruly and unwelcome.

While as many as 10,000 foreigners legally teach the language at private English schools in Korea, the nation’s media have been full of expos

Classic. :unamused:

It never does.

That’s not too bad. Think of what it would be if it were a lawsuit in the US. Think of the “pain and suffering” awards you get there.

This is bad news for teachers here and good news for legitimate teachers in Korea. Foreigners will leave the place in droves. Many will be heading here or Japan. Supply of teachers in Korea will go down, while supply here will only increase. :frowning: This can only lower teacher wages unless Taiwan makes a similar move here.

A 30 day jail sentence isn’t anything to laugh at, but they aren’t being treated like they were running guns or dealing drugs. They’re being treated like they are petty criminals. And since they are breaking the law, that’s what they are. They’re just as much guilty as border runners in the US or Canada who enter the country illegaly to find work.

I’ve got nothing against teachers who are violating the law here, but I do respect the law.

I never thought I would see the day where teaching someone would be a crime. :help:

You just don’t understand Korean culture :wink:

You just don’t understand Korean culture :wink:[/quote]

How about falsifying documents? Is that crime enough for you??

WTF! Why are they targeting Canadians? Come on, everybody loves Canucks. If they were targeting Americans than that would make sense. :smiling_imp:

Being ‘fed’ grog for doing illegal things IS ridiculous. How do I sign up? Don’t mind being locked up, but the handcuffs…

Yeah - I wish I got grog in prison.

Grog: A quart of water mixed with a half-pint of rum on deck and in the presence of the Lieutenant of the Watch.

Good English teacher too…knows his vocab well…

Not Americans :smiling_imp:

Uh-Oh.

My friend who is teaching in Korea (and Canadian) hasn’t answered my e-mail in a couple of days. That’s not like him.

:astonished:

Oh brother… :unamused:

Expect boards to be flooded with…

[quote]im leaving korea to find a teching job in tiawan. im a 20 y/o guy with a phd
[and probably pronounces is as his “fed”]
in early chidhood educashun with digree from a real univeristy with blue eyes and blond hair. Whats the drug sceen like there? ne1 no where to get hookd up? And all you sexy taiwan girls give me a shout out!!! Ho’s ur daddy? :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Maybe they’ll be smart enough to know that their crowd tends to hang out on tealit…bwah, ha ha! Did I say “smart enough”? Now that’s funny.

:noway:

WOW!!!

I just got an e-mail from my friends girlfriend (she is Korean).

The govt. arrested him and deported him.

He was using fake papers.

Not too smart on his part.

You can make good enough money teaching in Korea. No reason to teach illegally. You can get permission from your school to teach at another institution. As long as you don’t make more money in total at the other institution. Korea can be a good place to teach and earn tons of cash if everything’s on the up and up. You just have to make sure the boss doesn’t cheat you. Another job in itself. That takes being informed and getting EVERYTHING documented.

I don’t really have much of an opinion on these guys being busted. I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes. Good for me that they’re being weeded out. Means more money for me. Just wonder though if everyone from Japan and Korea are going to come here because the teaching salaries really suck in these countries. You can easily clear 65 to 70 thousand NT not including the free rent, free plane ticket and one month severence pay.

WOW!!!

I just got an e-mail from my friends girlfriend (she is Korean).

The govt. arrested him and deported him.

He was using fake papers.

Not too smart on his part.[/quote]

Hopefully they will follow suit in Taiwan and then I can go back there and teach when the money gets better. Not holding my breath though. I’d have to work day and night in Taiwan to earn what I’m making here teaching in one place. And, judging from my experience in Taiwan, working at more difficult jobs.

Good on the Korean government. I hope the Taiwan government gets its act together and actually bothers to check and confirm degrees to see if they’re fake or not. There is currently an oversupply of teachers and if sorting out the riff-raff with fake papers corrects that problem - great!

Bollocks. You would lose a lot of teachers with loads of experience and you would keep lots of people with no experience but degrees in completely unrelated subjects. If you were really interested in sorting out the riff raff the thing to do would be to test them all on spelling, grammar, phonics, ESL theory etc. Extra credits to those who speak Chinese as a second language or who are truly bi-lingual.

They won’t do this either because it would be too much hassle but it would be better than the bullshit you are suggesting.

No, bollocks to THAT. Where are these mythical creatures you hear about in the EFL world, these supposedly great teachers without college (sometimes even highschool) degrees? Never met’em. How many of these have you actually MET? Not secondhand urban mythology.

[quote=“bob”]Bollocks. You would lose a lot of teachers with loads of experience and you would keep lots of people with no experience but degrees in completely unrelated subjects. If you were really interested in sorting out the riff raff the thing to do would be to test them all on spelling, grammar, phonics, ESL theory etc. Extra credits to those who speak Chinese as a second language or who are truly bi-lingual.

They won’t do this either because it would be too much hassle but it would be better than the bullshit you are suggesting.[/quote]

While there may very well be teachers out there who do a great job in the classroom, the basic requirements are set in stone. Get a BA first and there will never be a problem being a legal teacher. Or an AA and a TESOL certificate will do. That is not too much to ask.

I would say that many teachers teach illegally when they are qualified; they choose to not get the ARC.

OK you got me there but I can think of one at least.

In either case a a lot of degrees are about as relevant to teaching ESL/EFL as dog piss is to Mozart. If you want to weed out the riff raff test everybody the same. Seems perfectly fair to me.