Canadian vs American Characteristics

Hollywood tight casts Canadians as Drug Dealers? I guess I’m more out of the loop than I thought.
or do you mean Taiwanese think of you as drug dealers - from confused in Taipei[/quote]

How I appear. My style and feeling back home would not warrent me such a negative insight. While I believe that I project a certain image, back home we are not taught to fear what we don’t understand but to learn and persevere.

Edit: I was not taught by my family nor my experiences to fear anyone or anything but I was taught to learn and understand why. This may or may not be a Western trait…but from what I have learnt in Taiwan: TV is God. Media = Right. If it’s in the newspapers or on the 9 O’clock news than it must be true. It makes me sick.

There’s a reason why MTV and Hip Hop music fuel this place. The Taiwanese feel oppressed and relate to Blacks from the West. The see themsevles as a sort of minority over here. BUT are scared shitless when it comes to an actual encounter thanks to Hollywood and MTV. (Nama sometimes ya gotta look at your own community too)

Back at you Sandman. Scots, English, Aussies … pretty much the same to me. Marbles in the mouth are slightly different.

Hollywood tight casts Canadians as Drug Dealers? I guess I’m more out of the loop than I thought.
or do you mean Taiwanese think of you as drug dealers - from confused in Taipei[/quote]

“tight casts”???

sounds kinky

Bologna – how would you explain rich kids in suburban Toronto or any other place on the planet for also imitating this?

Bologna – how would you explain rich kids in suburban Toronto or any other place on the planet for also imitating this?[/quote]

You obviously don’t listen to the finer points of hip hop, rap, reggea etc…emotional repression.

And

Knock Knock…not all white folks are born into money and power. Some of us have lived very similar lives to those who are LABELED poor and impoverished. Ya think I was awarded land and fame just cuz I’m white. HA! I got news for ya, kiddo…

Some Neighborhoods in the West look like a buffet. Lil’bit of dis and alil’bit of dat. Untill you go to jail.

Americans are self confident. They know who they are, and their place in the world.

Canadians are insecure. They have no national identity because they have never been allowed to develop one.

Not very many Americans consider themselves “Americans”, it’s always “American with qualifications”. African-American, Asian-American, Italian-American, Irish-American, Canadian-American, Hawaian-Pineapple-Pizza-Topping-American. Ask an American where he’s from and he’ll consider himself a New Yorker, Texan, Californian, Minnesotan, Ohioan. America is just too huge for most people to identify tribally with it.

I’m an aboriginal New York Adirondacker. :slight_smile:

(But now I wear shoes.)

Is this some sort of joke?! Asians are the most whitebread people on earth…their uptight, family-values conservatism and inability to dance make WASPs look funky.

Plus, Taiwanese aren’t the oppressed, they’re the oppressors. The real “blacks” of southeast Asia, the Thais, Indonesians, Filipinos, are the ones who identify with African-American culture. The Chinese and Japanese are the whites of Asia. They be The Man in this part of the world. Keepin’ the brown-skinned brothas down.

Fight the Power! Peace. Out.

Is this some sort of joke?! Asians are the most whitebread people on earth…their uptight, family-values conservatism and inability to dance make WASPs look funky.

Plus, Taiwanese aren’t the oppressed, they’re the oppressors. The real “blacks” of southeast Asia, the Thais, Indonesians, Filipinos, are the ones who identify with African-American culture. The Chinese and Japanese are the whites of Asia. They be The Man in this part of the world. Keepin’ the brown-skinned brothas down.

Fight the Power! Peace. Out.[/quote]

I could have been wrong and hence this disccusion. But I’m continually baffled as to why Hip Hop, RnB and Reggeais regarded as the be all to end all here. I cannot have a conversation with a person who dresses and acts the part but doesn’t have a clue as to why they do.

“You like Jay-Z why?” …“Cuz he’s cool”…“uh…ok…what’s he tryin to say?”…“Dunno but he sounds good”

OH-Kay…uh…alright…

“why ya wearin Babyphat?”…“Well, it looked good in this Sean Paul video”…uh…OH-KAY…

“Have ya heard of Wu Tang Clan?”…“ya…they’re an acient philosophical…”…“whoa there Nelly…I ain’t takin no southern comfort in that…say wah?”

WOOOOHOOOO…fuckery.

introduces friend of darker skinTaiwanese woman becomes shy and reservesredneck from god knows where becomes enraged and insecure due to his penis size

Oh Lord…don’t get me started…

We should worship TV…forget King James…flip on the idiot box!

I doubt also that many white folks who listen to and dig reggae understand what they are hearing. I doubt they have much of a clue as to what Rastafari teaches, or as to how it influences reggae. Babylon.

I doubt also that many white folks who listen to and dig reggae understand what they are hearing. I doubt they have much of a clue as to what Rastafari teaches, or as to how it influences reggae. Babylon.[/quote]

Oh I do…and I feel the ‘power’. But I also admire it. :wink:

Back at you Sandman. Scots, English, Aussies … pretty much the same to me. Marbles in the mouth are slightly different.[/quote]
Precisely. Which proves what a childish, small-minded, small-town, provincial kind of argument it is. Listen up. Nobody gives a fuck. Amarican, Canadian, Scottish, English, whatever. Its good for a lighthearted joke or two but apart form that?
A load of silly shite.
Except for people from Carlisle. They really ARE beyond the pale.

How about the obvious?

Canadians say “oot” and “aboot” and sew Canadian flags on their backpacks.

But Americans don’t know what Bloody Caesars, poutine or Tim Hortons are.

Canadians are further north. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“jdsmith”]I’m an aboriginal New York Adirondacker. :slight_smile:

(But now I wear shoes.)[/quote]
I thought so. But your a stand up guy in my book, with or without shoes anyway. BTW, last time I saw you you were wearing slippers. Is that a Canadian preference? :unamused:

Yawn!! The most interesting about this thread is going to be seeing how long before it gets
temped.

Canadians have a tolerant drug policy.

America is still fighting the war on drugs, with more drug users(legal and illegal)today than ever.

Them Cannucks are smart.

As for me, I believe that Canada and the U.S. have so much in common, with some geographical exceptions with the French folks, that I firmly believe that both would stand united against an adersary. “Dont’ Tred On Me” and don’t fuck with my neighbor either. It is these kinds of non-political emotions that will protect North Amerca in the future. It will come and we should choose our friends carefully. Our enemies, as has been widely reported, should be chosen with much greater care.
Canada and the U.S. will always stand together regardless of the Bushist metality that presently prevails.
More to the point, considering the worldwide concept of unification, should Canada become part of the U.S. or should the U.S. become part of Canada. I know, I know. But what do you think, and more importantly, why?

[quote=“Enigma”]
More to the point, considering the worldwide concept of unification, should Canada become part of the U.S. or should the U.S. become part of Canada. I know, I know. But what do you think, and more importantly, why?[/quote]

Would you want to become apart of your husband or wife after marriage? Or vice versa? Nope. I like Canada to have their stuff and we have our stuff. Besides, when you look at the movies today, America is already becoming apart of Canada, since we film so much there. :slight_smile: