Canadians looking to transition to public schools

My alternative licensure classes were all online. I worked in public schools no problem. I do think if you have a BA from a physical university you are good to go. I heard there is also an American university that is operating in Hsinchu.

bear in mind, a teacher license with TEFL as a subject, and maybe ESL too, is not accepted in Taiwan.

These classes were for an American teaching license, but not through Moreland?

If I were to get an American license, I’d likely have to get it authenticated by a TECO, hopefully in Taiwan and not in the States, but then surely at some point when interviewing for a public school position the question would come up as to how I have a Canadian uni degree, an APRC, eight years of buxiban teaching experience in Taiwan and an American teaching license despite having never lived in the States. I guess if the school was on board with it and the MOE didn’t question the license, it could work.

What they care is if you have a right passport, accredited degree, and a valid license. They don’t care how you got the license.

1 Like

Is that true? I know two people that got their US license in ESL K-12 through Moreland. One of them is now at a public school in Taipei and one is working at Kang Chiao. They didn’t encounter any issues.

1 Like

What makes you think you’d have to do that?

I think you are way overestimating how serious an interview for a public school position would be. With you having an APRC and so many years experience, once you get your license you could have your pick of public school jobs. They’re desperate for people. (Hence why they take people with sub licenses that can be obtained online by just paying $50)

My licenses are in ESL and teaching Chinese. The only nightmare I had was the schools not accepting the fact that in the US, you look up a teacher’s license online and there is no official, stamped piece of paper to prove someone is a teacher. Because it’s public record so why bother. Which would be harder to forge than a piece of paper. But that’s Taiwan for you!
If a state offered licenses in teaching underwater basket weaving, Taiwan’s MOE would accept it for EFL, as long as the passport was from an English-speaking country.

1 Like

Taiwan public schools?

As I remember from those who have had public school jobs, the MOE is able to check online if your name is in the database of certified teachers from each state.

I have seen job listings that say specifically “a teaching degree from your home country” though that could just be the way they’ve written the ad rather than a specific policy. I’d get clarity on that before going through the course.

1 Like

I taught in Taiwan. They also say that it needs to be valid but most recruiters will work with a teacher that had their provisional license run out. Am I wrong to think that the Taiwanese view Canada and America as the same country? Perhaps the OP should just try getting a sub license and seeing how far he gets.

1 Like

I think we’re getting subjects missed. Are you saying you did your teaching practicum in Taiwanese public schools?

Practicum in America.

The school will likely pitch a fit when you don’t have a beautiful, original piece of paper printed on cardstock and stamped and signed by ten different people. My first school literally told me the website was not a sufficient way to prove my licensure. They did not want to accept my license number + passport featuring the same name as the pdf certificate + their own search from google into the state database, until I told them they will never hire another teacher from the US if they can’t come into the 21st century like everyone else. I’m not sure that was the MOE so much as the school admin experiencing 404! Error! It took my leaving and waiting a few days, assuming I’d just end up private tutoring, before they finally accepted that. Not sure if schools have gotten over themselves yet.

They can pitch all they like, but some states simply don’t offer a printed certificate, especially for sub licenses. Whatever the school asks for, the MOE might only glance at it before they follow the actual procedure, which is to check the proper database. Again, I’m speaking as an American.
As you say, anything else they ask for is their own ignorance of the requirements, or a desire to put something on the wall next to your smiling picture.

Which is hilarious, because I think anyone with my license number can download a PDF of my license certificate off of the state department of public instruction site and print it themself :joy: