Canadians of Forumosa, I have a question

As you may know, with dual citizenship a bit out of reach for us and with Brits and Ozzies able to re-attain their nationalities with a simple application after renouncing…

I have a meeting with my MP on Thursday to try to get reacquisition of Canadian citizenship at least onto the desk of the immigration minister and hopefully with a similar law to the UK and Australia. If anyone would like to get in touch with me to share your story and don’t already have me on LINE, feel free to PM me. I could not care less if we’ve argued or had intense debates in the past. This is for us.

The reasoning behind this is that the response was ‘We’ve never encountered this request before’ So perhaps if I could share a few people’s stories to back up my statements… it could make things just a bit easier on us.

Admittedly, it is niche compared to other problems, but I think this is something I can convince them to be not politically risky.

7 Likes

Tell him I’d be interested to hear the stories of people on the other side of this issue

I guess my simple story is that if I’m still here when I’m eligible for citizenship in Taiwan, and the rules haven’t changed, I’ll know that the UK and Australia value their citizens more. It’s a shame that I have to choose between citizenships, when other people get to have both without the headache, simply because i was born in Canada

But at the end of the day, I value my Canadian passport more. Taiwan is the one shooting itself in the foot here. They want people like us and they need immigration and it would be helpful to have a stronger connection to Canada.

7 Likes

great to hear you are pushing this. something that certainly should change. and as TT says, taiwan needs to change too.

have support here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Right. But if I can make things a bit easier while focusing on the main target goal, then we can change this.

Totally right. As much as I hate to say it, the only people who are naturalising are people with shitty passports, and we know how the Taiwanese view SEAsians. They can either attract the people they don’t really like or they can attract everyone. That’s their only choice.

1 Like

You and anyone else is welcome to literally PM me for my LINE ID and call so that there is a real connection. A few people to show this is a thing can help bring home the adage; if one person is complaining, then 10 people think this way.

1 Like

Or they could attract the people they want using reciprocated laws. Canada makes it easy for Taiwanese to become citizens and thousands have, why not reciprocate?

Vietnam and Indonesia don’t allow dual citizenship, so the rules can stay the same for them.

maybe a quick public conversation first so people can brainstorm and think about what or how to write?

it’s a hard thing to do out of the blue without writing a book, divulging too much info etc.

maybe a quick list of points people can keep their story directed to?

this is absolutely something that has needed to happen for far too long. but seems some organization would go a long way, tomorrow is a bit rushed.

taiwan generally does this but citizenship is one of the great double standards for sure.

I asked our canadian embassy years ago, and said maybe I should renounce then try and become a citizen later. the woman simply said, you shouldn’t do that. she followed up by saying in a couple years they should have better options available for this issue. that was a while ago, no options changed.

I assume the embassy has heard this issue brought up many times. perhaps @Marco can bring that up with his MP and let the government connect some dots and they can also converse amongst themselves as well as with the public.

so far the only time I have gotten anywhere with the canadian government (federal or provincial) was with the intentions of business and trade. otherwise they have largely done the polite fuck off. perhaps getting some Canadian businesses in Taiwan on board will add some weight.

Well… That’s the paradox. Isn’t it? It doesn’t negatively affect the locals directly in a way that is visible, thus not an election issue. It’s a holdover from the dictatorship times. It’s just not on their minds, and as one member privately mentioned to me, they don’t see us as important either. Since we don’t have constituents standing up for us… it is a difficult position to be in. A bunch of ozzies, brits and hopefully Canadians becoming citizens and reattaining it might start get a ball rolling. My plan is multipronged.

Another thing, reciprocity doesn’t really change much, if another country doesn’t allow dual citizenship…they’re gonna revoke it anyways.

Vietnam allows dual citizenship.

We will get to that, I just want people to explain their sob story, for lack of a better term to show that other people like me exist.

Would be like.

Hi, I am explant, I’m from City in Canada, I’ve lived in Taiwan for x number of years, this is my job, I am stuck because Taiwan won’t give us dual citizenship but will give it to us if we become Taiwanese first.

Then list excuses. I have family in Canada that i won’t be able to take care of if they get sick… I can’t maintain ties with Canada and be a vector for job growth and creation if I renounce… Express Entry is hard…

Etc…

The MP asked me for a copy of the UK and Australian law so I will be bringing in that.

2 Likes

According to this, must renounce to become vietnamese

Conditions For The Foreigners To Apply Vietnamese Citizenship.

Yeah. As I get older, Express Entry gets harder.

The problem is, the CTOT or any embassy has no lawmaking powers.

You, a Canadian citizen, have an MP as well. I would be contacting the one residing in the last place you lived.

It’s hard with businesses, because what’s in it for them? But a bunch of MPs getting calls from people?

Maybe we should start asking locals what other ways is Taiwan basically a SEA country?

Ah, I remember now cause I had a Vietnamese girlfriend at the time, if you marry one, you can keep your old citizenship.

Kinda a weird policy :idunno:

I always say Taiwan is the adventure of Vietnam with the safety of Japan :rofl:

1 Like

But, a better policy than Taiwan, from a western liberal democratic perspective

That’s right.

They also mention special contributions, but I don’t know where the bar is for that. I heard it’s lower.

good points. what I meant by business was Canadian citizens with businesses doing trade, that also gives them financial issues. for example. the business I run cannot be done as a foreigner, I must use a Taiwanese ID to accomplish anything. as a person with ties (be it real estate, business, family and otherwise) in Canada this directly affects trade. albeit tiny, it is still far from nothing, and can be expanded rapidly if one were able to have basic rights.

I see your point, just not sure if the son story is really cared about unless on scale. on scale, sure, and I am with you on that. but if we spent some time in long form discussion working out all the possibilities and “arguing”(in good faith and a common goal) and go at it pragmatically through all the different MPs that may represent members here.

I think the biggest elephant inthe room is as TT mentioned. why would they care if we just renounce and want it back? especially from a countrythe government does not have the gonads to even recognizeasa country. I think this may be a very hard sell.

that said, Iagree your idea on pushing Australia has more "compassion " angle and people can get it back. that seems a good angle to fight in canada, but I feel we might be better served if we organized our thoughts collectively and had a strategic plan.

just my thoughts, but really would like to do something in an organized fashion! as I am sure most other would, regardless of political and etc beliefs.

all the vietnamese people I know that became taiwanese have had to renounce their citizenship to become Taiwanese as well :frowning: mostly women of a certain age. the men I know and work with are often slaves or runaways :frowning:

Right. This is obviously a difficulty you have to face with a decision that provides no winning options.

There is no scale. But, I’m in Canada right now and I am going to make a good faith attempt while I am here temporarily.

Cause I’m a constituent right now and all of us are constituents right now since we won’t renounce with no easy way to get it back. So… They agreed to listen and hold a meeting with me so I am going to take this short notice opportunity to make a case and maybe add some of our stories on how this decision greatly increases the difficulty for us to live normal lives

I will definitely have something organised when it comes to fighting the Taiwanese government. I actually think my MP will try to make a good faith attempt to relay our concerns to the immigration minister and MPs on the committee for immigration reform or whatever it’s called now.

1 Like