Canadians turn 30% of Afghan prisoners over to torturers

Damn lying Afghanis. Always claiming to be tortured. We all know there’s nothing really going on.

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006 … 55-cp.html

Canada’s top general defends prisoner policy
By SUE BAILEY AND BOB WEBER

OTTAWA (CP) - The chief of defence staff vigorously defends the practice of Canadian troops handing over Afghan prisoners to local authorities despite one estimate that about 30 per cent are later abused or tortured.

Gen. Rick Hillier stands behind an agreement he signed with the Afghan government last December. It obliges Canadian soldiers to turn prisoners over to local police or the army.

It’s their country, Hillier said of Afghan authorities after a ceremony Saturday for about 240 new Canadian Forces recruits.

"Under their laws and their government, we hand the prisoners to them.

“It’s the right thing to do and we take steps to try and ensure in all the best ways we possibly can that their treatment is absolutely right and appropriate. We’re confident in that.”

The Kandahar office of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission isn’t so sure. It estimates that about one in three prisoners handed over by Canadians are beaten or even tortured in local jails.

Spokesman Abdul Noorzai says his organization has photos of victims who were repeatedly hit in custody, sometimes for hours. He estimates there are about 200 Taliban suspects in Afghan jails.

Canadian soldiers have stepped in at least twice to prevent the executions of prisoners captured during operations with the Afghan army. In those cases, Canadians held on to the detainees until they could be safely delivered to calmer officials.

“In the heat of the moment, after an action where perhaps some of those locals have lost their colleagues . . . or their buddies in a firefight, we’ve detained somebody who perhaps was the cause of losing those soldiers,” Hillier said.

"The emotions run high and sometimes in history, as you know, bad things have occurred.

“I think the professionalism of our soldiers has been demonstrated during those incidents. And they’ve done the right thing to help ensure that detainees are treated with all our Canadian values, and treated appropriately.”

Canadian troops also alert the International Committee of the Red Cross to track treatment of such prisoners, Hillier said.

Abdul Rahim Wardak, the Afghan minister of defence, flatly denies that detainees are at risk.

“Those reports (of Afghan soldiers wanting to kill prisoners) are totally rejected,” he said in Afghanistan. "It is not true. We will never do that. Even in the old days when we were fighting the Soviets, we would never do that. We were always nice and kind.

“Sometimes I think there might be some misinterpretation in the translation. I think someone has taken it wrongly that they wanted to kill.”

The most recent incident occurred last week in the Panjwai district, the scene of intense fighting since mid-May.

Canadian troops feared that Afghan soldiers would kill a detainee on the spot after a raid at a compound where a Canadian vehicle had been ambushed the day before.

“They want to execute him here,” a Canadian soldier said in a radio conversation recorded by a CTV News crew.

“I am obviously not for that. He’s probably of low (military intelligence) value, but either we take him or he gets executed.”

The prisoner was taken to other Afghan authorities.

Minister Wardak said such reports will be investigated.

Mohammed Farooq, an Afghan police officer, talked about the challenge faced by police and soldiers dealing with those suspected of fighting against them.

“We have to keep our emotions calm and we have to try to work through minds, not hearts.”

CP reporter Sue Bailey is based in Ottawa; colleague Bob Weber is currently embedded with Canadian troops in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

What, is something wrong with my title?

Shouldn’t this title be Canadians not Americans?

The title was something like “more torture allegations” for a couple of days with no country mentioned. Six people viewed it.
On Friday, I changed the title to “Afghans allege torture charges against Canadians” or some such. Five more people looked.
On Saturday, I changed the title to what it is now: “Americans turn 30% of Afghan prisoners over to torturers” View count has skyrocketed. Suddenly, everybody wants to read it. American dirty laundry is a popular headline.
My conclusion: nobody cares about tortured Afghans.

You really need to brush up on your English if you can’t tell the difference between Afghans allegedly torturing prisoners handed over to them by Canadians, and Afghans alleging Canadians are torturing them. Either that or you were deliberately being dishonest.

“Canadians turn 30% of Afghan prisoners over to torturers”. It’s still a dishonest title. The allegations have yet to be proven.

You want 17 Muslim men who attended the same Mosque in Toronto (one of whom was ejected from a Muslim youth group for preaching hate and intolerance), and who had a remote detonator in their possession at the time they purchased three tonnes of explosive from an undercover cop, to be given due process (ie: assumed innocent until proven guilty). I agree.

Why then do you not afford the same courtesy to our soldiers in Afghanistan? What mitigating factors preclude them from the same assumption?

[quote]The most recent incident occurred last week in the Panjwai district, the scene of intense fighting since mid-May.

Canadian troops feared that Afghan soldiers would kill a detainee on the spot after a raid at a compound where a Canadian vehicle had been ambushed the day before.

“They want to execute him here,” a Canadian soldier said in a radio conversation recorded by a CTV News crew.

“I am obviously not for that. He’s probably of low (military intelligence) value, but either we take him or he gets executed.”

The prisoner was taken to other Afghan authorities.[/quote]
So, when Canadians feel the prisoner might be in danger, they hand him over to someone else. It actually sounds like they’re doing a good job.

It is the Red Cross’ responsibility to track prisoners. What do they have to say about all this?

You really need to brush up on your English if you can’t tell the difference between Afghans allegedly torturing prisoners handed over to them by Canadians, and Afghans alleging Canadians are torturing them. Either that or you were deliberately being dishonest.

“Canadians turn 30% of Afghan prisoners over to torturers”. It’s still a dishonest title. The allegations have yet to be proven.
[/quote]

Titles on Forumosa can only be so long. I tried to make a more accurate title, but I couldn’t think of one that fit at the time.
Anyway, my sole comment shold have clued you in:

Damn lying Afghanis. Always claiming to be tortured. We all know there’s nothing really going on.

Yeah, anyway, my point here is not to accuse Canadian troops of anything they didn’t do. But let’s face it, if this was an article about American troops, people would have gone on and on about it for pages. Look at the shaky threads that get posted here. It’s very telling that nobody was interested in this thread until it appeared to say something negative about Americans. I think the desire for that is what fuels a lot of political opinions here. It’s kind of getting old.
Anyway, if you want my opinion, I think the Canadian troops are probably giving the Afghan prisoners more rights than they’ve ever had in their lives.
I don’t care much about how people who might be affiliated with Al-Quaeda, terrorist groups,etc. are treated. My point is that nobody else does, either.
It would be nice if they could extract some information from them, though.

I dare say you are right. Bashing Americans, especially Republican Americans, is the favourite pastime of many.

I dare say you are right. Bashing Americans, especially Republican Americans, is the favourite pastime of many.[/quote]

It’s ok. Most of us adore the attention. :rainbow:

Heh, the mods changed this thread title to read “Canadians” instead of “Americans”

Watch this thread sink like a rock.