Cancel Culture Victims

I can’t sing, much less rap, so I avoid that problem completely.

Ok, but I’ll bet you avoid that word and its use.

I never find myself in situations where I’d feel any need or desire to use that word.

Likewise.

Do you agree white people should avoid using it altogether?

No. I think everybody needs to make their own decisions.

I cannot think of a situation where it would be appropriate for a white person to use the N word.

Can you?

I’ve heard it used in a friendly way by white people with black friends. No offense was taken. As with most words, context is everything.

in other words, in the context of Af Am using the word amongst each other and those they trust and feel comfortable with.

Isn’t that what I just said?

I still dont use the word for any reason, even among friends.

I don’t either, but I stop short of making blanket statements about who should and shouldn’t use it.

1 Like

Whats wrong with saying it’s off limits to white people?

Given the words history and etymology it seems like a logical decision.

Because that’s not your decision to make.

1 Like

Correct. That was my point in my reply to MalcolmReynolds.

Hmm, if that was your point, it wasn’t very clear.

Not to you :slight_smile: .

If you had a kid and he/she was singing along to his/her favorite rap song full blast using that word. would you set him/her straight? What would you do?

I would definitely provide some context, but I’d let them make their own decision on whether to use it and in what situations. But I suspect they’d probably be smart enough to know these things on their own anyway, and they’d probably roll their eyes at goofy old dad stating the obvious.

Don’t assume that. It depends where you live and go to school. My kids hear that word daily on the block where we live and among their friends. This has been a real situation in our life. My kids best friends are Af am and they use thst word at home. no eye rolls when I broke it down, he knew not to use it again even if his friends do.

How would kids know the etymology and history of a word on their own btw?

1 Like

I would take a different approach, but this sounds like legitimate parenting.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have to do anything about it. Rap and/or hip hop “music” would never be allowed in the house.

1 Like