Cancel Culture Victims

If you cancel yourself after being cancelled, do you get to just start all over again ?

:joy: Snakes on a Jumbo jet.

Cancel Child Abuse?

And the org that is behind the let us work this out in the community because we know best, despite overwhelming drugs, guns and violence in our communities that the police and low level community job non-profits haven’t been able to stop.

The child welfare system is predicated on the subjugation, surveillance, control, and punishment of mostly poor Black and Native children and families. We more accurately refer to this as the family policing system.* The system and its supporters portray family policing as a legitimate, supportive helping system—one that protects the safety and well-being of children through necessary state-sanctioned interventions. But the history and reality of the system’s impact on the lives of children, families, and communities underscores the ways in which the system functions to maintain anti-Blackness, White supremacy, racial capitalism, and colonialism. We can collectively do better.

How We endUP puts forth ideas about how we can, in community, improve support and care for children, youth, and families as we move towards the abolition of family policing. These ideas are intertwined and address what must be dismantled as well as what must be created and supported. This is not a prescription with detailed policy and practice recommendations—we believe that work must be done within communities. Our intention is to contribute to work already occurring and provoke new actions and innovations from others. We invite you to build on these ideas, share with us the actions you are undertaking, and let us know ideas we missed.

*We use the term family policing system to refer to what has more commonly been known as the child welfare system. We believe this term more accurately captures the roles this system plays in the lives of families, which include surveillance, regulation, and punishment, all roles associated with policing rather than children’s welfare. These roles are used to maintain the control and oppression of Black, Native, and Latinx families, which is also consistent with the practice of policing.

As long as I’m here, let me see if there’s anything in the news about why this is a bad bad bad idea:

1 Like

Discipline in ‘the system’ (school and judicial) is certainly skewed, so I have no problem with the idea that mandatory reporting is likely skewed as well, and that this is worth looking at. Looking at the site, it calls for the “complete elimination of the existing family policing system and a fundamental transformation of the ways in which society supports children, families, and communities” and 'replacing them with resources and supports designed by families and communities that promote the safety and well-being of children in their homes. In this way, abolition is not about simply ending the family policing system, nor is it about ignoring child safety; it is about creating the conditions in society where the need for family policing is obsolete" Doesn’t say anything about mandatory reporting per se, but I guess one could lump that into the current child welfare system, and frankly, once you get past some of the rhetoric, doesn’t seem it should be all that controversial.

Obviously horrible failures all around there, but that happened under the system as it exists, so bringing that up as an example of why a change to the system is a bad idea doesn’t seem to make much sense.

the really lousy nypost article concludes with:

When gold medalist Simone Biles testified before Congress earlier this year, in a hearing about the mishandling of sexual abuse claims against the US women’s gymnastics doctor, she explained: “To be clear, I blame Larry Nassar and I also blame an entire system that enabled and perpetrated his abuse.”

Well, yeah, that doesn’t exactly support that the system doesn’t need change.

1 Like

If left-wing justice authorities handle this as well as they have bail reform, with America’s more than ample supply of criminally-minded people taking full advantage to the maximum extent possible without fear or much in the way of consequences, it sounds like a catastrophic idea to treat kids in such a cavalier fashion as to have a “complete elimination of the existing family policing system" or not require doctors, police, and teachers have to report abuse when they suspect it. The latter certainly makes total sense for the sake of protecting children from abuse. Has it been demonstrated this is being implemented unfairly in some way? Any of our teachers, cops, or doctors reporting such cases willy-nilly? I guess I’d well likely support politically anyone less likely to implement such an insane scheme, if it becomes an issue (and easy enough to believe it could these days) for the sake of protecting children.

2 Likes

How do you think it is skewed in the schools? Not the whole too many kids of color are being suspended for not doin nothing, is it?

It might if you think about it a bit more. Not every case is so bad. Usually it’s something minor and by working with the schools, teachers, doctors families and lawyers, it gets sorted. In some cases more and worse abuse is found and horrors like the Texas case are prevented long before they occur.

Not that they’re suspended for doing nothing, but they’re disciplined for things that white kids aren’t, starting waaay back in (pre?)kindergarten.

Yeah, I doubt it. Most kids who are suspended in my district, from my experience, deserved it. And most suspensions are handed down after multiple incidents, and usually with at least one violent incident.

I’m glad your district seems equitable. But surely you’re familiar with zero-tolerance policies at many schools these days (so multiple violations aren’t relevant in those case), and you’ve heard stories of pre-k students kicked out for kicking off shoes and having tantrums, or having too many accidents (whaaat, 3-4 year olds having tantrums or accidents? shocking. i know).

Exactly why they should be home playing and not at school,

Oh no, that is not how the district is seen at all. It’s just the reality.

Keep the cancel train rolling.

Let’s target Buddhist imagery and call it Nazism.

Let’s lump in discrimination against POC, queer, etc. just to put an exclamation point on it.

Hidden Villa appears to be a very progressive entity. I guess no organization is safe anymore.

They should have a slogan.

The Woke Mob - We eat our own!

Hidden Villa Facebook Page

1 Like

Are all the farm animals gay?

Do NOT assume the gender or sexual orientation of any of the farm animals.

“some individuals experienced harm from their presence on the building”

Who are these people? How do they cope with everyday life?

2 Likes

Who says they do? That’s probably why they were at Hidden Villa.

2 Likes

By shutting down community camps.

2 Likes

Amazing,

Protesting racism and intolerance whilst claiming to be inclusive and accepting of other cultures by being intolerant and unaccepting of other cultures (in this case Buddhism)

Bunch of wet wipes.

1 Like

Any pain that our current and former staff, especially any Staff of Color, have felt during their tenure at the organization, deeply saddens us

Especially staff of Color.

Why even add that line?

1 Like

In general, a large number of species display bisexual behaviour. And that’s before we get to those who can impregnate themselves, and those born already pregnant. And then there are species which change gender during their life cycle. :astonished:
You can blame the Industrial Revolution and Victorians for the current state of vanilla attitudes towards sexuality.

1 Like