Cannabis

Let me first stress that I am not interested in hearing the negative effects and dangers of using cannabis,
and if you are such an individual who want to give that lecture I suggest you to google the truth about cannabis.
Now that’s outta the way :slight_smile:

I use cannabis, not just recreationally, I also find it helps me tremendously in dealing with depression.
I have been prescribed antidepressants in the past, worked to a certain extent,
but I would always be tired, hungry, zoned out and ill temperd :bluemad: , all side effects of the drug.
whilst i believe that some sufferers from depression, with proper knowledge and understanding about the mental disease,
are able to cope without any medication(by keeping mood/thought diaries, recognizing triggers and so on),
cannabis just has that special quality to take the edge off.

I currently reside in London, and will be moving back to Taiwan in few months,
& i have a few questions about Taiwan&the sacred herb

1. How hard is it to find in Taipei?
  2. What’s the current law regarding cannabis?
  3. What’s the price in general?

Thanks!

[quote=“KenNabise”]Let me first stress that I am not interested in hearing the negative effects and dangers of using cannabis,
and if you are such an individual who want to give that lecture I suggest you to google the truth about cannabis.
Now that’s outta the way :slight_smile:

I use cannabis, not just recreationally, I also find it helps me tremendously in dealing with depression.
I have been prescribed antidepressants in the past, worked to a certain extent,
but I would always be tired, hungry, zoned out and ill temperd :bluemad: , all side effects of the drug.
whilst I believe that some sufferers from depression, with proper knowledge and understanding about the mental disease,
are able to cope without any medication(by keeping mood/thought diaries, recognizing triggers and so on),
cannabis just has that special quality to take the edge off.

I currently reside in London, and will be moving back to Taiwan in few months,
& I have a few questions about Taiwan&the sacred herb

Thanks![/quote]

Welcome to Taiwan. As you enter the gates you’ll find this waiting for you:

Have a nice day. :bow:

P.S. You can debate all you want. But do a search and you will see the Taiwanese don’t play well with drug dealers. Particularly “Big Nose” ones.

Ummm, it is against the law and I am pretty sure it is in the class as uber-hard drugs here (Herion,etc.) . Asking a question about acquiring illegal substances is going to (most likely) get this thread shut down real fast.

If you are looking for the “sacred herb” as you call it, I would recommend moving to Canada, where it is looked upon much more kindly. If you come to Taiwan and engage in such activity, you are courting some serious jail-time - these things are not looked upon kindly here. It is against the law, and seriously so.

Excellent first post.

Have you considered Amsterdam, if you have a depressive problem? Taiwan will in all likelihood only make it worse, especially a Taiwan jail.

1 Like

Not surprising, though, if he’s a hardcore pothead. I’ve been there, know what it’s like, I don’t hold it against him at all, but when you’re a serious stoner, that IS the single most important thing in life, so it’s natural it would be post number 1.

As for pot helping to deal with depression, that’s complete BS too. I know the OP didn’t want criticism, and I don’t mean this as such, but I know from decades of use, including too many years of daily experience starting before breakfast and ending slumped on the couch late at night that it definitely leads to depression more than it helps alleviate it. Not that I wouldn’t be thrilled if someone offered my a hit right now; I would definitely take it without hesitation. I don’t have the least bit of disrespect for those who smoke dope, even hopeless hardcore stoners. But one of the best things about living in Taiwan for me has been I’ve gone 10 years now and only smoked once or twice, an amazing long stretch that has helped clear my lungs, my brain, improving my wind, my motivation, my career, and so many other aspects of life. I love the stuff and, as I said, I’d still jump at the chance to get stoned. But I’m not afraid to admit the sad truth – regular dope smoking is NOT good for ones health. That’s just rationalizing ones desires.

But, as I said, I’ve got nothing against pot or pot smokers, I just felt a need to state my opinion on a substance I, too, love (but am thankful to be free from due to living in Taiwan).

I’ve never been hardcore anything, but I appreciate the pleasures of a good smoke as much as the next man. In Taiwan, though, I’ve got too much to lose to risk it.

I won’t lie to you, OP. There is dope in Taiwan. There is also heroin, crystal meth, ketamine, cocaine, hash, amphetamines, firearms, etc. If you want a gun, asking about it in a public forum isn’t probably the best tactical decision. Same goes for drugs, even the lowly maryjane. If you suffer from depression, and if marijuana is a regular part of your life, don’t come to Taiwan. Chances are you’ll regret it.

I think that the risks far outweigh the benefits. If it works for you, fine, I’m just saying that there are many countries with laxer narcotics laws than Taiwan. Is it worth the risk to spend a year or two in a Taiwan prison?

Edit: And I hope that’s not your real name you’re using.

1. Somewhat easy to get, just find Canadians
  2. The current laws are pretty tough as the previous posters have all mentioned.
  3. $600NT-$1000NT a gram, $32NT=$1US so prices are quite high here

there is a website for travelers who like this sort of thing, its like webehigh.com or something silly like that. Really though, when you goto a foreign country you have to follow the local laws.

The “TRUTH” about cannabis is that if they catch you with it or in your system you WILL get royally fucked deep in your arsehole. ROYALLY.
THAT, my friend, is “the truth.”
Come here, find a Canadian and hope like hell his phone isn’t being tapped.
I don’t give a fuck what YOU think the “truth” about being a stoner is. Them’s the facts, Jack.

Gosh, reading this thread I feel so depressed I think I need a joint. Any about? :laughing:

HG

1 Like

Thanks for the responses all, your reactions have been most insightful.
i will be moving back to taiwan.
i take breaks from weed all the time, it will just be a super long break :slight_smile:
my symptoms don’t just go away whenever i use cannabis,
most of the time they’re moved to the background,
i’ll just deal with it the way i used to.

Mother Theresa, there is a difference between use and abuse, please think about that.
smoking IS bad for health, but that is not the only means to cannabis intake.
i’ll admit that stoners don’t have the best memories though.

[quote=“urodacus”]Excellent first post.[/quote]back off buddy! that was MY first post to do as i saw fit! just kidding :stuck_out_tongue:
i just didn’t wanna beat around the bush.

sandman, you are absolutely right! when it comes to the law that is.

[quote=“KenNabise”]I currently reside in London, and will be moving back to Taiwan in few months,
& I have a few questions about Taiwan&the sacred herb

Thanks![/quote]

Are you trying to follow your brethren UK Citizens? I’d suggest a quick trip to China with your 4.4 Kilos stuck safely away.

The Chinese sure did put the cure on that recent UK chaps Bi Polar disorder, and he for sure aint suffering from depression no more.

If you are moving back then surely you have lived here before and know it’s illegal. Most recently some furriners got busted… ( stupidly some of them were growing on an open balconey ). Supplies might be in short supply. There’s alos now a reward system to dob in a mate. You don’t have any friends still here do you that are not doing too well financially I hope.

Taiwan Authorities maye be thinking of doing what Japan does. Mandatory drug tests for foriegn residents.

One way or the other I dont care if people smoke pot, as long as it isnt in my garden.

Really? :doh: :doh:

Link.
Or do you mean the dope testing they do for the ARC health check? They’ve been doing that for years.

I used to use copious amounts of booze and sex with strangers. It was ok short term, but left me feeling used, empty and harassed (jimipresley still wont stop calling!). Not to mention broke.
Reading Dr. Phil’s Life Strategies: Doing what works, doing what matters was very helpful. Regular exercise, a healthy diet and adequate sleep also works wonders.

[quote=“KenNabise”]I have been prescribed antidepressants in the past, worked to a certain extent, but I would always be tired, hungry, zoned out and ill temperd :bluemad: , all side effects of the drug.
whilst I believe that some sufferers from depression, with proper knowledge and understanding about the mental disease, are able to cope without any medication(by keeping mood/thought diaries, recognizing triggers and so on), cannabis just has that special quality to take the edge off.[/quote]
I’ve heard that one before. Alcoholics, smokers and heroin addicts plead the same case…

[quote=“KenNabise”]I currently reside in London, and will be moving back to Taiwan in few months, & I have a few questions about Taiwan&the sacred herb

1. How hard is it to find in Taipei?[/quote]
    I’m told, by an acquaintance who uses the stuff, that he doesn’t have to look for dealers, they seem to find him. :idunno:
    An Aussie girl in Tainan once asked me if I had some or knew where to get some. I was rat arsed at the time and told her I’d introduce her to my aforementioned acquaintance if she’d have sex with me. She was none to pleased a few hours later when I told her I didn’t have his number.

Where to buy marijuana in New Taipei: Since marijuana smoking is not very popular among Taiwanese people, getting marijuana in Taipei isn’t a very easy mission. The way to go about it is to ask only friendly foreigners around the nightclub scene.

[quote]Our reporter who hung around Taipei reported the following:
”There is a bar called Carnagie’s in Taipei. It’s the in place for non Chinese ex-patriots to hang out in. on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday the place is hopping with a DJ etc. I went there and met some white guys who after some conversation helped me get some real good hash the next day. It wasn’t expensive. I think I paid about $50 for a nice piece. The trick is to go about it gently and patiently. The white folks that hang out at Carnagies are nice and helpful to visiting fellow Europeans/Americans etc. these are not dealers, just people who can help you around Taipei.”
You may also want to check out a lounge bar called Woodstock right next to the infamous Roxy 99. Ask any foreigner in Taipei how to get to Roxy 99 and u can’t go wrong.
This bar has giant ice-cooled genuine brass hookahs, with a variety of flavored tobacco pastes, for NT$500 (about US$15) a session, which is enough for a tableful of people. The other night, we popped some weed in there. Nobody noticed and/or cared.

and our most recent report is: “It’s very difficult to find dealers if you’re just in Taipei for vacation, there are no street dealers. The best bet is to visit bars (not sports bars) that expats frequent and ask around…there are many of them, just pick up a English newspaper or publication.”[/quote]

Cannabis is a schedule 2 narcotic in the ROC, and possession can result in up to
3 years imprisonment

Legislation: Marijuana use is listed as a Schedule 2 narcotic, in the same league as codeine, ecstasy (or MDMA) and LSD and is
punishable by no less than seven years in prison
, according to the Statue for Narcotics Hazard Control. Cannabis is Illegal,
punishable by death for trafficking

This (badly) translated article may also have some relevant info for you:
Foreigners held for possession and production of Marijuana
If you can read Chinese, the original article is HERE.

Seven years to life. Nice.

Taipei Marijuana Prices: Price varies depending on quality…local pays about $10000nt for 10g for top quality imports, or really nice domestically grown. That’s about $300usd for 10g, it’s extremely expensive. Southeast asia imports sells for about $700nt for 10g, but it’s very bad stuff.

No worries. But I think The Netherlands might be less depressing.

[quote=“bismarck”]

This (badly) translated article may also have some relevant info for you:
Foreigners held for possession and production of Marijuana[/quote]
I really feel for those poor sods, but reading that article was better than drugs.

They must have missed that sign at the airport. :smiley:

I never once knew a guy here who grew the stuff in an old wardrobe. Strangely this fictional man had a hard time growing the stuff in the open, but according to him it shot up in his tin foil lined, wardrobe, ‘light box.’
He only used it for himself and his non existent wife and neither of them had any run-ins with the law as nobody, including myself knew of it.
I wouldn’t suggest of course that you do anything of the sort.

Are you saying that getting caught with one joint in Taiwan, or evidence of cannabis use in your system, is punishable by a minimum of 7 years in jail? That’s hard to believe, it just seems so extreme. I mean in Canada, if you get caught dealing heroin for a first offence you’re unlikely to get 7 years. I’ve heard about famous guys getting caught with cannabis here and getting off with a few months of rehab.

How does the whole thing work here? Let’s say two dumb-ass foriegners get caught smoking a joint in a park in Taipei. What happens to them? How 'bout if they’ve got JFRV’s/APRC’s? Do they need guanxi, a great lawyer, a kind judge, loads of cash for a fine or a bribe, how does it all work? What happens to them? Deportation probably. But if they are permanent residents, what then? 7 years in jail? Sheesh! That sounds nuts.

I guess these Chinese guys must have some kind of emotional baggage about foreigners and drugs, because of HK and all that!

Anyhoo, good thing the beer is cheap and you can drink it anywhere!! :slight_smile: