Cannabliss

The guy lauwais in the talk shows (most of them) are building quiet a presence in taiwan, I wouldn’t call that very successful if they are continuous breaking the laws here. But hey, opening a coffee shop and selling image is the deal now.
I wonder how come they can buy the greens being ‘famous’ and not get caught …

Not naming names either

Victoria, BC?
great small town and lovely water-plane airport/harbor

Worked and lived there for many years, but this property is mid island (Nanaimo).

3 posts were split to a new topic: Thanks for the input

Excellent analysis here. A nanny-state type of involvement that any libertarian (Toe`s political stripe in another thread) should shudder at.

That old regime, in which pot was illegal but widely used, sired many negative social consequences, but responsibility was diffused, because the situation wasn’t anyone’s particular idea. By contrast, the lofty rhetoric Trudeau has used to justify this new regime of legalization — a cure for marijuana-related crime, persecutions and (most preposterously) consumption — presupposes a government prepared to own all the problems of a society in which pot is now explicitly condoned by the state. Hence so much fresh concern over matters such as stoned driving, pot-related ER visits, the attractiveness of edibles to children and the difficulties marijuana users face entering the United States. None of these are new phenomena, yet through legalization’s stamp of approval, Ottawa has abruptly become far more accountable for their existence. https://cbdmagnates.com/2018/10/19/justin-trudeau-now-owns-canadas-marijuana-mess/

1 Like

Having left Canada when it was very illegal and returning when it was finally legalised, I find the whole legalization of cannabis to be weird at best. On the one hand you have government departments frothing at the bit over increased revenues - talking about their customer funnelling strategies, store experiences and etc. Then you have other departments sounding the alarm for the consequences to youth, and holding large community education sessions at schools on how to keep cannabis from youth.

It should be legal and heavily regulated but I don’t really see any role for government in selling a substance that, outside of medical uses, has negative health benefits.

You understand the concept of a maximum penalty, right?

Let’s see:

• stoned driving
  • pot-related ER visits

Not new.

• the attractiveness of edibles to children

They have long existed, but the situation is changing, with mass production and snack industry-style marketing tactics. Certain American states have seen increased problems with this, iirc.

• the difficulties marijuana users face entering the United States

The difficulties users face are not really new. What’s new is that you can be an investor in a perfectly legal business and for that reason alone be denied entry to the US. Even if you’re an indirect investor, that makes you officially naughty.

I’m not seeing anything about boats in the federal law, so I assume you’re talking about one of the provincial laws (for which Justin isn’t responsible btw).

I don’t know what Toe actually said in the other thread, but that sounds like a false dichotomy.

2 Likes

Does that not give a lot of discretionary power to the judiciary? As the article suggests, Ottawa has abruptly become far more accountable for their existence. In addition, many of the provinces (such as in boating — 4 provinces as a matter of fact) are mirroring Ottawa`s increased accountability by increasing their oversight in many areas of subnational jurisdiction (e.g., deciding no grow ops outside etc.). You almost need to be a lawyer to navigate through it (as the Cat in the Hat cartoon above suggests).

1 Like

Yeah, I’m with CD on this.
The much ballyhooed legalisation, a prime cornerstone of Prime Minister Selfie’s® campaign which mysteriously ceased to be the slam dunk it was originally represented as once he actually had to make it happen, is nowhere near the sweeping beacon of progressive post-millenial enlightenment the Twitterverse and #iheartjustin types would like it to be.

More of a pandering concession to pacify potential Orange splittists than any kind of actual step forward.

Standard Cannanny State message of “OK, we’ll make it legal, but we’re still not saying it’s OK

1 Like

Another stupid thing with this combination of nanny-state federal and provincial regulations is that in some instances they go against progressive policy, especially with regards to green initiatives.

For example, in BC, under a Green/NDP centre-left government. A provincial law says that plants must not be visible from public spaces off the property. So basically, you can grow limited amounts, but do it indoors (away from windows), where such growing requires province-controlled hydro energy (high priced even for residential non-commercial areas). Doing it outside au natural is a bad thing!:roll_eyes: Better for the enviro but bad!!!

Think of government in Canada as being like parents (the Feds) and kids (the provinces). If the Feds enhance their involvement in oversight, the kids will follow. It is monkey see, monkey do!

No, because Canada uses common law. Even Quebec does, outside of civil matters.

Fourteen years is more severe than one year + $200,000, which is the maximum fine for giving alcohol to a minor in Ontario. (I don’t have time to check the other provinces.) Also, some provinces (including Ontario) allow minors to consume alcohol as long as it’s served by their parents at home, which apparently is not permitted by the Cannabis Act.

That’s federalism for ya. :idunno:

Fify.

That doesn’t mean they need to be indoors. You basically just can’t put them in the front yard. Nudism is under stricter control than that – you can’t be nude in your back yard if the neighbors can see you, but you can grow cannabis there.

Huh? It is a minority NDP gov with only a majority status with Andrew Weaver and the Greens. Right? How is my original label wrong? It is a Green/NDP centre-left government.

And another great read here. How the new laws impact immigrants and newcomers. Not very friendly. You could be removed for impaired driving!

“The impact of these new penalties on permanent and temporary residents could be significant,” the Immigration Department advises in a statement.

The Immigration Department quietly posted a statement on its website this earlier this week advising permanent and temporary of the upcoming penalty changes, noting they could be particularly affected.

The posting is the first part of a multi-pronged education campaign to be rolled out in the coming weeks to ensure newcomers to Canada are informed of the impact that Canada’s new impaired driving laws could have on their ability to remain in Canada.

There’s only one party “in government” i.e. in cabinet. It’s not a coalition in the formal sense, like what some European countries consider normal.

A coalition government is a more formal arrangement than a confidence-and-supply agreement, in that members from junior parties (i.e. parties other than the largest) gain positions in the cabinet, ministerial roles and may be expected to hold the government whip on passing legislation.