Cannot change the Taiwan law? Change your own country's law!

Since Hertzell tried to sue the Taiwan government on it’s unfair immigration law, which doesn’t allow foreigners to immigrate here under similar conditions that Taiwanese can immigrate to USA.

I suggest to send a letter to governments around the world and ask them to treat Taiwanese immigrants the same way as Taiwan treats it’s immigrants from respective country.

I’m Swedish, and to date there are only TWO Swedish people that have passed and applied for the Permanent Alien Residence Certificates (PARC). Next step would be a citizenship, but we are denied this.
However every year there are several hundreds (I’m getting the exact figures next week) Taiwanese immigrating into Sweden.

I intend to send a letter to the Swedish government to treat these Taiwanese immigrants the same way as the Taiwan government treats me. Sweden is a country where equality is valued extremely high and I’m sure my government will be perplexed hearing about how the Taiwan government treats Swedish emmigrants here.

I urge all foreigners in Taiwan to push your governments to do the same until the Taiwan government realizes that “we” are a small insignificant increase to the Taiwan population and allowing us to immigrate will not cause a major flow of immigrants from all over the world.

Another suggestion would be for all foreigners who wants to change the immigration law to pick a date for a small rally. We could kiss the Taiwan soil to show our love to Taiwan, in the same fashion as the presidential candidates. This was regarded very highly among the population.

WANK WANK so other countries like Australia can be called racists again… forget it… your idea is a pipe dream…

damn… where’s my weed

The fact the our countries give better treament to ROC nationals than we get here shouldnt mean that we reverse our policies of treating everybody equally. This is in effect what you are asking your governments to do… to stop treating people equally based on race and nationality…

Have you actually applied for ROC nationality and been refused? t seems not… Many people don’t undertand that policies can be challenged thru on ongoing application process. I get the same crap from so many people that they have been refused this or that when they actually have not yet applied for anything… cause they were told this or that by a friend or someone who knew a lot about the laws here or there.

I don’t agree. I still believe controlled immigration is beneficial for a country and so I would have to say as a matter of principle I couldn’t ask my government to treat Taiwanese the way they treat us.

Hartzell applied, was refused, went to Court . . . . . lost.

You can download a copy of his case off of local Taiwan legal websites . . . . . MOJ, Judicial Yuan, etc.

His case was not about applying for citizenship perse… he wanted to avoid having the renunciation of of his US citizenship. Too much of a coward to give it up. Just proves hedidnt really want ROC nationality to live here anyway.

[quote]His case was not about applying for citizenship perse… he wanted to avoid having the renunciation of of his US citizenship. Too much of a coward to give it up. Just proves hedidnt really want ROC nationality to live here anyway.
[/quote]

I presume that you think that all those Taiwanese with US or other citizenships are also cowards who should be made to give up one of their passports (although what this has to do with cowardice, I just can’t see).

Brian

You’re speaking out of your ass. :wanker: Hartzell is a lot of things, but a coward isn’t one of them. :aiyo: Switch to a topic you know something about. Hartzell’s bulldoggishness in facing down the Taiwan establishment is well-known. :thumbsup:

Yeah, thats true… but I don’t think the gov’t here gives a hoot… There are a number of people who acquired ROC nationality and gave their own up… and we all still live here

But the minute you gain ROC citizenshio, can’t you re-acquire your other nationality(ies) back? What is the big deal?

Not quite… Depends on what country you gave up your nationality from.

For Australia it’s 12 months and then you can get your citizenship back by providing evidence you intend to resume living in Australia within 3 years of resuming citizenship. You’ll also need a Taiwan Police Certificate as part of the process.

And NO, I havent resumes Australian citizenship

But why would anyone want to be a ROC citizen? The only reason I can see would be to be allowed to vote. But then again, what does your one vote count and what can you vote for in Taiwan anyways? Not a lot…
Or because you think as a ROC citizen, people will finally take you for serious? Even with a ROC passport, your face is still white, black, green, yellow, red or what ever, just not Chinese enough to be taken serious…

Mesheel, this has been my point all along…why are some people complaining about not being able to get ROC citizenship? PeiAn claims he can’t get it but then again as Satellite TV said, that is not necessarily the case. PeiAn just doesn’t want to give up his Swedish citizenship…being denied citizenship is totally different from not wanting to meet the requirements for citizenship.
BTW has PeiAn given up and gone back to Sweden…his last post was in April…?
As for the mention of being a coward, it is my understanding that the U.S. doesn’t allow a person to regain citizenship after renouncing it; therefore, I can understand Hartzell’s reluctance even after living in Taiwan more than 20 years. Why should he give up one of the most sought after passports in the world for one that is barely worth the paper it’s printed on?
Maoman, IMHO, “Hartzell’s bulldoggishness in facing down the Taiwan establishment” is a combination of his desire to be a big fish in a little pond, the thrill of playing amateur lawyer, and it helps fill his free time. :smiley:

[quote=“mesheel”]But why would anyone want to be a ROC citizen? The only reason I can see would be to be allowed to vote. But then again, what does your one vote count and what can you vote for in Taiwan anyways? Not a lot…

The reason is that because I was a single divorced father with my son living with me I wanted to be able to live life freely without the need for work permits, so that I could buy my own home and have things in my own name. I didnt want to have to work for somebody just in order to stay here.

Becoming a citizen just for voting purposes would not appeal. I will live here until I die I suspect. So having ROC nationality enable me to do things that people on ARC’s can’t. I get government contracts in my own name to teach. I can hold multiple jobs without fear of being deported by some overzealous cop or by being dobbed in by some nutter.

I can get bank loans, credit cards, my drivers licences are valid for 6 years at a time. Recently I did a sat install for a customer in Taichung. Turns out that his friendly resident neighbour who chatted away six to the dozen with me as I was working was a Foriegn Affairs Police officer. When I finished the job he wants to see my ARC. I asked him if he had one
( after all he may well have been an ABC ) and he laughed saying he was Taiwanese. I told him I also was Taiwanese, then he got a bit churly… so I produced my ID Card. The bugger probably would have deported me for doing installs.

So having ROC nationality certainly works for me. For others who cares what their reasons are… ?

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Recently I did a sat install for a customer in Taichung (Taizhong). Turns out that his friendly resident neighbour who chatted away six to the dozen with me as I was working was a foreign Affairs Police officer. When I finished the job he wants to see my ARC. I asked him if he had one
( after all he may well have been an ABC ) and he laughed saying he was Taiwanese. I told him I also was Taiwanese, then he got a bit churly… so I produced my ID Card. The bugger probably would have deported me for doing installs.[/quote]

Oh, I would have loved to have been there to see that!

Yeah, that’s a good enough reason, not having any kids yet, I haven’t thought of that. But then again, I think I’ll take my kid back home instead of letting it go through taiwanese school system…but that’s another story…

[quote=“mesheel”]But why would anyone want to be a ROC citizen? The only reason I can see would be to be allowed to vote. But then again, what does your one vote count and what can you vote for in Taiwan anyways? Not a lot…

The reason is that because I was a single divorced father with my son living with me I wanted to be able to live life freely without the need for work permits, so that I could buy my own home and have things in my own name. I didn’t want to have to work for somebody just in order to stay here.

Becoming a citizen just for voting purposes would not appeal. I will live here until I die I suspect. So having ROC nationality enable me to do things that people on ARC’s can’t. I get government contracts in my own name to teach. I can hold multiple jobs without fear of being deported by some overzealous cop or by being dobbed in by some nutter.

I can get bank loans, credit cards, my drivers licences are valid for 6 years at a time. Recently I did a sat install for a customer in Taichung (Taizhong). Turns out that his friendly resident neighbour who chatted away six to the dozen with me as I was working was a foreign Affairs Police officer. When I finished the job he wants to see my ARC. I asked him if he had one
( after all he may well have been an ABC ) and he laughed saying he was Taiwanese. I told him I also was Taiwanese, then he got a bit churly… so I produced my ID Card. The bugger probably would have deported me for doing installs.

[/quote]

You can also get all this with an APRC and open work permit. And I’ve never had trouble getting credit cards here, even when I had an ARC.

You can also get all this with an APRC and open work permit. And I’ve never had trouble getting credit cards here, even when I had an ARC.[/quote]

Try leaving for 1 year and coming back then. I won’t have any problems but you’ll need to re-apply for an ARC with all the medicals and required docs again.

All the contracts I get stipulate native speaker with ROC nationality… sorta rules you guys out. You can still be deported even if you have a PARC…

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

Try leaving for 1 year and coming back then. I won’t have any problems but you’ll need to re-apply for an ARC with all the medicals and required docs again.

All the contracts I get stipulate native speaker with ROC nationality… sorta rules you guys out. You can still be deported even if you have a PARC…[/quote]

There are also exceptions you can apply for if you are gone more than 6 months, such as school, medical care, etc.

I was just pointing out another option for people who might consider staying here for a long time. What’s up with your defensive tone? Good Lord. I’ve considered the passport, but can’t at the moment because of some family issues. I point out the credit cards because I’ve never had troubles with that here, even with an ARC and it truly baffles me when I hear other foreigners complain about not being able to get cellphones, phones, cards, the police’s attention, etc.

And since you’ve got an ROC passport, would you ever consider running for any sort of office here? That would be a refreshing change. :sunglasses:

There are also exceptions you can apply for if you are gone more than 6 months, such as school, medical care, etc.
And since you’ve got an ROC passport, would you ever consider running for any sort of office here? That would be a refreshing change. :sunglasses:[/quote]

So if your not an exeption then your screwed again.
I was commenting on the general case that perhaps you wanted to travel or spend a few years away in another country. With ROC Nationality I can always return. It doesnt expire like an ARC or PARC.

As for running for office… not likely… voting I have enjoyed already.
Most banks refuse to give a credit card to a foreigner who does not have some sort of guarantee or local spouse. Usually they apply in the spouses name if they have one. As for me I don’t use any cards from Taiwan banks. A couple of years back when visa card fruad was being carried out in the VISA processing office many people got bilked a lot of money.

I had a NT$110,000 restaurant bill for a place I could prove I never went too. Forutunately my bank in Australia wouldn’t charge me as the signature on the slip wasnt even close to mine. At least a contested bill has no interest charged. First complaint I’ve had to my bank and I’ve been with them for 25 years. People here were forced to pay first and get refunds later on… not very good.

I would like to be a Taiwanese citizen. I may spend the rest of my life here, but I don’t know yet. I may also return to NZ. So there’s no way I’ll give up my NZ passport.

What annoys me is that my wife could get NZ citizenship in less time than it takes to get permanent residency here. She wouldn’t have to give up her ROC passport either. The ROC Government allows her to have dual citizenship, but they won’t allow me to. That’s patently unfair.

Brian