Cans of peeled tomatoes?

If you just eat a lot you won’t be able to see your prostate area … :ohreally:

Tomatoes, but not any kind … the ones with high lycopene are the better fot the pros…

I can’t imagine EVER wanting the texture of canned mushrooms. In anything. Back when that’s all I knew, I was under the impression that I hated mushrooms. But I guess that’s another topic, eh?

Hahaha… well, I guess we have different taste then :smiley:

Also, I just remembered that Matsusei tended to have at least reasonably priced tinned tomatoes, but haven’t been there for a while either, so not sure how it is now.

I think people here often overlook the slightly less obvious places as everyone seems to be shopping in either Wellcome or Carrefour, but there are actually a fair few other supermarkets here that are price competitive and offers products you might not find elsewhere.

I get the small cans of peeled, cubed, with Italian seasoning tomatoes at COSTCO -think they are organic, too. One person, little time. :smiley: Great for stews -add to pok meat, garbnanzo beans and voila, lunch; or to franks/roasted chicken, beans, corn and easy dinner is ready.

Don’t forget to add a tablespoon or three of Extra Virgin olive oil. :lick:

What’s yer problem with even numbers, Sleepyhead?!

I’ve heard that half the olive oil sold as “extra virgin” is really just “virgin” olive oil.

Kinda disappointin’, huh? :frowning:

If you can tell the difference, you’ll find (and repeatedly buy) the real stuff. If you can’t tell the difference, well, does it matter? :laughing:

Now, where were we? Oh yes, tomatoes, canned. Costco’s sliced pear tomatoes stewed in herbs are $259 for eight cans of 14.5 oz each, or $32.375 per can, for comparison. That’s a good price IMO.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
Now, where were we? Oh yes, tomatoes, canned. Costco’s sliced pear tomatoes stewed in herbs are $259 for eight cans of 14.5 oz each, or $32.375 per can, for comparison. That’s a good price IMO.[/quote]

Aren’t they–blurgh–American? I’d like to be proven wrong but I haven’t had good experiences there. Call me a purist but I don’t want any herbs except my own either.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]
Did you know that a high percentage of ‘Italian’ labeled tomatoes actually are grown and canned in China … go figure … and it’s not copy or fake … Italian canning factories have contracts with Chinese tomato growers and factories … :ponder:[/quote]

The “Kagome” ones say “prodotto in Italia,” I guess that’s for real, be funny if not so, but they taste good enough.

Now see, there’s my problem, why is the stuff with added crap cheaper than the plain stuff?
I saw some ready made tomato base for pasta sauce in Carrefour for far less than a can of whole tomatoes. That’s just plain wrong, I want to add my own crap, I don’t want someone else to have added crap to it already… :smiley:

So pretend they haven’t added the crap, and add your own. Everyone’s happy now. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“zender”]What’s yer problem with even numbers, Sleepyhead?!
[/quote]

I’m at odds with them.

[quote=“zender”]I’ve heard that half the olive oil sold as “extra virgin” is really just “virgin” olive oil.

Kinda disappointin’, huh? :frowning:[/quote]

Even so, I doubt the manufacturers can lie about the source of the product or its contents. As long as it’s of Mediterranean origin and not tainted with non-olive oils (or worse, completely counterfeit and made of soy or corn oils), it’s alright.

The German delis in my former city in Canada are one of the things I miss most: the meats and cheeses, the imported pastas and cookies, olive oils and flatbreads, etc.

“Italian recipe”. American product, yes, S&W brand. Decent for the price IMO, for the way I use them. $80 a can is way beyond my food budget given how much I use, and no one complains about my cooking.

If you don’t want herbs added (it’s just a dash of oregano and basil, anyway), they have a 2nd variety next to it, which are sans herbs, and diced rather than sliced. Similar product and price.

I hate to sound like a Dragonbones here, but I gave up buying canned toms ages ago. These days I just wait until the fresh ones from my local street vendor are looking good, (which is happening more and more often – gone are the days when you’d go months or years without seeing anything other than those awful green tomatoes).
I buy a huge great bagful of the things.
Slit the skins, blanch 'em, shuck 'em, dig out the seeds, chop 'em, cook 'em down in good oil with a bunch of garlic and a massive bunch of basil, cool, slop into a bunch of ziploc bags, freeze. Takes about an hour to do 10 kilos and Bob’s yer proverbial.

Yeah no way I’m paying $80. Maybe I’ll give those a try, but sandman’s way first i think

[quote=“zender”]What’s yer problem with even numbers, Sleepyhead?!

I’ve heard that half the olive oil sold as “extra virgin” is really just “virgin” olive oil.

Kinda disappointin’, huh? :frowning:[/quote]

And the other 45% is to acidic to be good EVO … cause, bad storage …

[quote=“sandman”]I hate to sound like a Dragonbones here, but I gave up buying canned toms ages ago. These days I just wait until the fresh ones from my local street vendor are looking good, (which is happening more and more often – gone are the days when you’d go months or years without seeing anything other than those awful green tomatoes).
I buy a huge great bagful of the things.
Slit the skins, blanch 'em, shuck 'em, dig out the seeds, chop 'em, cook 'em down in good oil with a bunch of garlic and a massive bunch of basil, cool, slop into a bunch of ziploc bags, freeze. Takes about an hour to do 10 kilos and Bob’s yer proverbial.[/quote]

How long can you keep em frozen in the fridge? I get very nice, ripe ones from the market near my place and make a mean, blended sauce but have never dared to freeze it.

ps.
is digging out teh seeds absolutely necessary? Me lazy.

and what does “shuck” mean? Sorry, Me no Native.

Tomato-based pasta sauce freezes well for several months, no problem. I don’t peel them, and have never removed the seeds in my life. I just wash 'em, core out the stem bit, chop and stew them. Shuck means to remove an outer layer, as when baring a corn cob, or oneself.

Dunno why I peel and de-seed, I just do, is all. Strange, because I never do it when I’m just making 'em for immediate consumption. Maybe its because they’ve been blanched and skinned, so you don’t really have to do anything to de-seed except hold 'em over the trash bin and give 'em a good hard squeeze.
It is nicer, though, without the skin, plus you can get away with chopping them much more roughly, while de-seeding also removes a good deal of the juice, so you get a much more concentrated result.

My impression is that the skins and seeds of many vegetables are healthy, and I recall seeing something about how the stuff you squeeze out when removing the seeds is actually really good for you, but I don’t have a link. Something about heart health I think.

Fascinating. Thank you for the info. :notworthy:

ps.
Gosh, how do these guys find time to do all this stuff?