Cant find the amount of tax due past 183 days when there is no income?

People tell me i need to pay tax for just hanging out in taiwan.
I see percentages when there is income but cant find any info on the amount for not working
Is it common knowledge like to hangout in taiwan you need to pay 6000nt a year fee? I havent seen anything like this in moving to tw websites

I have been searching , am i missing something?

I have been here 2 years and nobody is asking me about delinquent taxes.

I do think taiwan is better than usa :us: about taxes(meaning i dont think its a good idea to call the IRS and ask them can i you tell me what i need to pay) In taiwan is it safe to just call?
I really just want to learn about this tax

I haven’t files taxes in :us: for over 10 years and not planing on filing. They are not after me

Thanks for the information if you know
If im stupid for not seeing it i will admit im stupid ok no need to bash

How do you support yourself if you have no income?

1 Like

He has an under-the counter job replacing broken SHIFT keys.

8 Likes

Savings, tw is so cheap and i have a gf that likes to take care of me, We lived for over a year with free rent( courtesy or someone’s divorce agreement)

I want to work but with the china sickness im in a holding pattern to change visa…

Absolutely never worked it’s illegal

If you declare income, that can be used as evidence that you worked illegally. What visa are you here on?

I came exempt ,when the china sickness came on strong i paid and got a regular tourist visa.
Im currently on the free extension each month

I havent declared any income

If you’re not making money, why would you owe any tax? :thinking:

Thats what i would think, is that the rule then ?

It’s not ‘pay tax’, it’s file tax.

If you made nothing. Then you can file 0 income and pay no tax. Done.

2 Likes

Ok Sounds good!

So is it true that i only really need to file is for a residence visa or for government assistance.

Am i ok not filing?
Thanks for help with My stupid questions

As @Marco says, you should file.

Just file. You just show up at the tax office. They will take care of you unlike Canada.

1 Like

If your income is less than 208000 NTD, and you don’t have to file based on Income Basic Tax Act, you are exempted from income tax report.

https://tax.nat.gov.tw/irxw/pages/desktop/basic/introduction.html

什麼人應該辦理綜合所得稅結算申報?

1. 凡納稅義務人、配偶及受扶養親屬全年綜合所得總額不超過免稅額及標準扣除額的合計數(如下表)者,除有下列1、2的情形仍應辦理申報外,得免辦結算申報(於計算時,有薪資所得者可再減除薪資所得特別扣除額;年滿70歲的納稅義務人、配偶及受扶養直系尊親屬,每人可再減除免稅額44,000元)。

A.有扣繳稅款或股利及盈餘可抵減稅額依法可申請退稅者,應辦理申報才能退稅。
B.依所得基本稅額條例規定應辦理個人所得基本稅額申報者,應填寫「個人所得基本稅額申報表」併同一般申報書辦理申報。

免辦結算申報標準
受扶養親屬人數 0人 1人 2人 3人 4人 5人
無配偶 208,000元 296,000元 384,000元 472,000元 560,000元 648,000元
有配偶 416,000元 504,000元 592,000元 680,000元 768,000元 856,000元
Iiuc

Tax office can tell you certain thing.

I never file. I made nothing. I mean I heard from an aunt who works in the tax office that if I didn’t make over 500000 a year they won’t tax me anyways.

If you’re a US citizen they are going to ask for 1040 forms after you file, so make sure it matches up

Which also ties in with what is written on this website (with the difference in amounts presumably just being due to indexing 2019/2020):

Q: *What is the amount for tax filing exemption? If my salary is low enough do I not have to file taxed in Taiwan?
A: For tax year 2019, if total annual salary was 175,000 NT times the number of dependents and the taxpayer, then you are exempted from filing taxes for 2019."

Dang that complicates things…

Just tell them you haven’t filed taxes in the US in 10 years because you’re below the filing threshold.

I’m sure that won’t raise any suspicions about your situation!

2 Likes