Can't fit in Taiwanese cars

I’m only 6’2" and can’t seem to get enough room in any car to drive safely, even the SUVs. The problem is the steering wheel is touching my lap, even adjusted to highest setting. Can’t get good access to the brake pedal. Only car I’ve had success with was the imported VW Golf and I don’t want to go down that road. Would a smaller boy racer wheel help? Only need an inch or two. I’m not unusually tall, so other guys must be experiencing this problem.

The mini is suprisingly big inside and so is the Fiat 500 if i recall properly.

Taiwanese cars? Hmm don’t know. The March seems not small when I rented one for a day last year.

Yeah. The driver’s position is different over here. Otherwise, the cars are roomy. Thought about moving the brake pedal over, lowering the seat or smaller steering wheel.

in most cars my knee would be caught between the steering wheel and the car when I try to switch my foot from gas to breaks, so I eventually picked TIIDA… because when I put my chair in the lowest postition, I can move my legs freely. 182.7, so almost 6’. Don’t know if that would work for you… and don’t know about the new TIIDAs, they seem a bit smaller.

Thanks for your advice. I’ve overlooked the Tiida. Looks like a nice car. Has it been reliable?

What is your budget and what sort of car/suv/jeep/van do you want? I (6’5"/195) find the Suzuki Solio surprisingly roomy for a ultra compact car. I’ve sat in other new compacts Yaris/Fit/Fiesta, and they all felt quite cramped. For mid-size, the Mazda Isamu / Ford Tierra has lots of leg room. They’re a bit older, so cheaper. Nothing else locally made in that size fits me (Sentra, Civic, Tiida, Corolla) Can’t think of anything else comfortable until you size up to a Camry or larger sedan.

I could stretch my budget to $400,00 for the right car, but cheaper is better. It’ll be a city car shared with my girlfriend, so it has to be as small as possible. Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the Focus, but no luck. I’ll check out the Protege/Tierra.

Tiida are reasonably reliable and predictable but horrible to drive fast, if that’s your thing.

I’m not into driving fast, but I appreciate a car that handles well. I heard the Tiida has a stretched Clio chassis. Someone must have made that up.

I’m thinking about picking up a Yaris and going with a smaller deep dish steering wheel. No worries about seeing the instrument cluster. No airbag though.

yaris should have two or three airbags, ours did (japan spec).

yaris is not good for large people in the back. Seriously: two adults at most, unless they REALLY like each other.

Something to consider. If it was just me driving, I’d have no problem removing the airbag.

I can’t help but think there must be some sort of factory solution to this. I’ve never had problems driving any cars back home. I even rented the new Fiesta “world car” last summer back in Canada. It was fine. The steering wheel just needs a spacer.

[quote=“cukaracha”]I’m not into driving fast, but I appreciate a car that handles well. I heard the Tiida has a stretched Clio chassis. Someone must have made that up.

I’m thinking about picking up a Yaris and going with a smaller deep dish steering wheel. No worries about seeing the instrument cluster. No airbag though.[/quote]

The Tiida uses the Nissan B platform, which is used amongst a few models of the Nissan/Renault range.
The Tiida is a large car and happens to be one of my personal favorites in terms of value for money, as it has the space, great comfort, a good stereo, and suffers quite strong residual loss within the first three years, which is a used car purchaser’s dream come true in some cases. The suspension can be a little crashy on Taiwan roads, but can be improved after changing the dampers. Nissan’s components are cheap and plentiful.
There may be one issue in your case, concerning the Tiida and that is that it doesn’t have a telescopic steering wheel adjustment. The leg room is quite good though.

I may also suggest the Toyota Camry and Nissan X trail for leg room and comfort. I have a few tall customers, and at least two around 7 feet tall who drive both of those cars without issue.

i drove my car at 135kph on the freeway, and frequently above 70s on the mountain roads… is it horrible to drive? maybe, but it makes it more fun.

I’m also 6.2 and had the same problem. I ended up buying a second-hand Nissan Cefiro which has lots of legroom. There are quite a lot of them on the 2nd hand market, so I’m sure you can find one as well.

I test drove a VW Touran. That was the only car that I could get in without having to squeeze past the steering wheel. I wanted to buy it but my wife wanted the Honda CRV.

I hate to say it, but you should listen to your wife more often, judging her by her car savvy-ness.

When I bought a cefiro a few years back, I had the same problem. However, the one that I got had the massage chair, which is a few inches higher and I had to tilt my head and my ear would touch the headliner. “No problem” says the sales guy, “just open the sunroof when you drive” :loco: :noway:

Ended up changing the massage chair with another one and it solved the problem.

I am also way above 180 but have no issue with CR-Vs. They have the most ample headroom of any compact SUV here in Taiwan. Ford Kuga on the other hand feels more cramped than a Nissan Tiida for some reason, with non-adjustable back seat.

Definitely would recommend the CR-V. You should be able to get a used 2007-2008 model with 400,000.

I managed to drive the second generation CRV barefoot, but still didn’t have proper access to the brake. My neighbor drives the 3rd generation and he’s around my height, so I’ll give it a try. However, it’s creeping over my budget. If you hear of one for 400k, let me know.