Can't rename the country; Rename the companies

[quote=“tomtom taiwan”]China Airlines that would have a paperwork fiasco overnight[/quote]… but it could have a bonanza in ticket sales if the stigma of CI’s crash history just went away overnight. Remember how the British atomic energy industry ‘erased’ the nasty leaky history of the Windscale power plant simply by quietly renaming it? It could be win-win for China Airlines.

Well that’s it; I’m going into the printing business tomorrow and cash in on this idiocy.

Try domain squatting while you’re at it :wink:

Well actually I think China Airlines is one company with the most to gain with their current name. They estimated big losses for a name change acording to some Zhongtian news report I saw.

I read the same article. As I said…they would lose in the short run. I am sure a lot of companies would. But in the long run, the name change would not put them under. The article sounded more to me like it contained “woe is us…look at all of the stuff we would have to do and contracts we would have to change, and routes we would have to reapprove, etc.” rather than “this is a change that could throw us in crisis and threaten our business” article. You can change contracts and change routes. It is a pain in the @$$, but it can be done. Plus, since there are no routes with China as of yet, they should not have any major issues in getting them all reapproved. Short-term headaches, long-term health.

But who pays for all this? Where does this money come from?
There should be some fiscal discipline to this plan, shouldn’t there?

ac_dropout wrote:

[quote]But who pays for all this? Where does this money come from?
There should be some fiscal discipline to this plan, shouldn’t there?[/quote]
You mean changing the plaque on the wall of the Central Bank of China? Or the cost for the new stationary?

This issue, albeit brought up now as an election ploy, is an interesting one. Even someone as azure as ac must agree that having the largest carrier out of Taiwan named “China Airlines” is confusing. Let’s face it, regardless of the politics of the issue, most people understand that Taiwan is a place and China is a place. China is the really big one that doesn’t have a carrier called “China Airlines.”

I’ve got an idea. Let’s just sell China Airlines to the PRC and adopt Evergreen as the national carrier. I mean sell in the sense that it moves to China, not that it stays in Taiwan under PRC control. That way we get rid of one dodgy airline with it’s dodgy staff and unpatriotic name, AND adopt a much better run/equipped airline to replace it. Throw the money from the sale into a new issue of Evergreen stock to fund a round of expansion to fill the gap.
I think China deserves China Airlines, it’s a great match. We should hurry up and sell it before they splash another plane.

Sounds good to me, but I have interest in Evergreen, so it not like I’m impartial.

But seriously if you repaint airplanes, buy stationary, re-write contracts, change signs and logos to all the suggested companies, …that’s a lot of tax dollars.

China, the really big place, has a carrier called Air China.

The govt internal agencies and depts should change its name to Taiwan. The public companies can be assessed on a case by case basis.

In my view, China airlines should keep its name but create a separate brand (eg Taiwan Airlines) to complement its current services.

I think thsoe sound like creative, helpful suggestions.

I do hope that 台中 will never be a 台台

I wouldn’t put it pass the Taidu leadership to try to convince people that this the the only way to express one’s love for Taiwan.

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but in the very recent past there was indeed a “Taiwan Airlines”:

timetableimages.com/ttimages/wg.htm

Taiwan Airlines was a subsidiary of EVA. In 1998, EVA merged subsidiaries Great China Airlines, Makung Airlines and Taiwan Airlines into a single carrier called UNI Air. I assume that EVA still owns the Taiwan Airlines trademark and China Airlines would have to buy it. The fact that EVA abandoned the name (presumably because it has no commercial value) would seem to speak volumes.

There was also a Formosa Airlines, which was another subsidiary of China Airlines. It was merged with Mandarin Airlines in 1999. Visit at this web page for some photos of Taiwan’s defunct airlines/aircraft:

edward-lee.com/air/taiwan.html

regards,
Robert

AND …what if the Americans went off and started a daily newspaper in the New World called THE BRITISH POST?

Oh, I mean THE CHINA POST.

www.chinapost.com.tw

Dumb name for a newspaper in Taiwan if I ever heard one.

The .tw give more than enough indication where the news is coming from.

I know nothing about the reasons for the merger, but it would seem the fact that they abandoned the Great China Airlines name, by your assumption, would mean that name also has no commercial value. In plain speak, China=no commercial value, Taiwan=no comercial value, Conclusion=probably not a political name issue. Since they abandoned both names at once for Uni air (a name that makes sense after the unification of three airlines), I doubt that the marketablity of the Taiwan Air name was the reason it was abandoned.

In a separate note, China Airlines would not really have to pay for a Taiwan name. There would be many possible names to choose from that are probably untaken. Taiwan Airlines isn’t Air Taiwan which isn’t Greater Taiwan Airlines, which isn’t Formosa Airlines, etc., etc., and so forth.

ac_dropout wrote:

More so if you are in China, since all URLs prefixed .tw are firewalled.
Meaning everything on the Internet with TAIWAN at the end is blocked.

I bet the KMT .tw site is not blocked in China.