Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

Ooooooooohhhhh booooooy

Cannot wait. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/0LHxvxdRnYc

Endgame:

https://youtu.be/hA6hldpSTF8

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Each year I get less excited for the MCU. The movies are always good I guess, but once youā€™ve seen the same formula play out more than a dozen times on the big screen it starts to get stale. I did think Black Panther kicked ass though. Infinity War and the other recent ones didnā€™t do much for me though. Iā€™ll probably skip this one or catch it on Netflix.

Up to you, but if you look at the writers alone for thisā€¦ One of them wrote the first GOTG, the other wrote the incredible (even by Pixar standards) Inside Out. Sure itā€™s a Marvel movie but honestly weā€™d be kidding ourselves if this doesnā€™t feel like something special.

Alsoā€¦ Isnā€™t this one the last one released right before Infinity War: Part 2? If you wait you wonā€™t get to see the mid-credit and post-credit tags before the Avengers resolution.

I will say thisā€¦ the worst MCU movie is still miles better than the best DCEU film (excluding Wonder Woman).

Oh for sure, at this point Marvelā€™s perfected the formula for passable movies. I donā€™t think other than Thor 2 or Iron Man 2 has any other Marvel movie been straight up bland.

WW is the exception for everything. Although I think it now also suffers the same fate of all high expectations ā€” (high risk of) not reaching them.

Btw:

A nice trivia for ya.

Captain Marvel looks great, and I canā€™t wait for an Avengers trailer to drop. At this point, I guess itā€™ll be aired during the Superbowl.

Interestingly, one of the directors of Infinity War was recently asked about Chris Evans tweeting about being done with Captain America and he said, ā€œI think it was more emotional for him than us. Only because heā€™s not done yet. I donā€™t want to explain what that means but the audience will soon understand what Iā€™m talking about.ā€

Very little interest in most of what DC is doing. Shazam may be okay. I like Zachary Levi. I will go see Aquaman, but since theyā€™re seemingly done with Superman and Batman, Iā€™m not really invested in it.

People have just been whipped into a frenzy so no matter how mind blowing it is -and there is no way it is not gonna be- there will be those who will be dissapointed.

I trust these guys as so far they have mantained a very strict line, eyes on teh goal. Lots of crumbs to follow over 10 years of movies, that is no small feat. Actually, I am going to be sad when this chapter closes. Even though the movies are based -but not copies- of the comics, they are currently the most energetic original thing on the screen.

And in a tiem when they have resurrected so many mommies and zombies from tv, movies, books and beyond, that is so refreshing.

Superhero ā€˜caped crusaderā€™ movies are seen as original?:grin:

MarvelĀ“s take is. Compared say, to all the resurrections we have seen lately taht have failed so catastrophically. By comparison, I mean. The genre was dead and they revived it. Something like what GOT did to fantasy.

Now we need a new Star Trek to push sci fi into a better realm.

They all seem a bit childish to me, I gave up believing in superheroes when I was 12 :sunglasses:.

Ooh look special effects :grin:

Ready Player One was very good in the ā€˜sci fiā€™ genre I thought, it felt like something new to me.

Yawn. Whatā€™s new.

Fuck superhero movies.

A lot of them are formulaic, yes. But thereā€™s nothing childish about Logan. Iā€™d suggest checking that out before you paint too wide a brush. You may be surprised how much you like it.

Logan wasnā€™t bad. I liked Spiderman 1, kind of goofy angle is funny. I also enjoyed the Batman with Heath Ledgerā€¦

1 Like

More like all of them are formulaic.

But thatā€™s just not true. Yes, many of them are. But Deadpool, Logan, The Dark Knight are all examples of comicbook movies that were different or unique.

I donā€™t understand superhero movies, either.

I mean, I grew up watching The Adventures of Superman, which I loved when I was an adolescent. By the time I was twelve or thirteen, and we had a brand-new color television set, I concluded the Batman TV series was the most idiotic thing Iā€™d ever seen on television (although I watched it). I kinda liked the 1978 Superman movie when I was in my early 20s, but I had zero interest in the sequels. That was it, though.

Iā€™ve never watched a single Batman movie, and the idea of watching a ā€œuniverseā€ movie today is something Iā€™d consider if the paint had dried thoroughly first in a freshly painted room. My wife likes them - and she loved Logan - but I have no interest in them at all.

Iā€™ve tried, though. I sat through about twenty minutes of Logan once. Iā€™ve seen Heath Ledger as Joker on television, but I couldnā€™t stick out the whole thing.

Iā€™m not going to say theyā€™re silly, or run down people (like my wife) who like them, but I just donā€™t get it, not at all.

1 Like

I mostly enjoy them. But the new aqua man movieā€¦Iā€™m not sure about

I thought you liked Force Awakens?

I also really dug Avatar (I know what I said!)

Hey Andrew, I was too slow to rsvp for an aquaman screening this friday. Can your sister hook me up? :joy: