Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

I don’t think the movie does any actual “current year lecturing”. On the other hand, they had the BRILLIANT idea of marketing it in a similar way to Ghostbusters 2016, thus alienating a lot of people who don’t feel like spending money to watch a movie just to avoid being called sexists.

If they focused the marketing of the movie on the character, and if the buttless chick didn’t make some of the dumbest remarks since Justin Turdo’s “current year” speech, the shitstorm would have been avoided.

Their options were:

a) Play the misoginy card and get a lot of free advertisement due to the controversy
b) Actually promote the movie and the character

They decided to go with a), while a (far better) movie like Alita went with b).

Ps: Since I’m not an american there are many US-based companies I’m not aware of. Today i learned that rotten tomatoes is owned by Fandango, a company that sells cinema tickets and has all the interest in the world in hyping up movies and hiding bad reviews, especially for the big blockbuster movies. And Fandango’s CEO was an executive in Disney.
But I’m sure all the negative reviews filtered by rottentomatoes were just trolls.

download%20(39)

2 Likes

This is a good point.

RT reviews are like wine reviews. Nobody in Asia will buy a wine that’s doesn’t score at least 90 points somewhere, and it seems like nobody will pay attention to a movie unless it’s certified fresh. If you try to talk about a western movie in Asia that’s not fresh enough (according to Rotten Tomatoes!), then it seems like you will be ignored by the vast majority of your audience.

That’s a shame. Brokeback Mountain is an excellent movie. Probably my favorite from Ang Lee. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you give it a chance. It’s not preachy at all.

1 Like

I like Ang Lee a lot, and I like Annie Proulx a lot. I think Brokeback is the only one of his movies I’ve never seen. I read Proulx’s story when it came out in The New Yorker magazine back in the day.

I agree, it’s a shame. I have no intention of watching it, though.

eta: Never watched Sense and Sensibility either. I’m not a big fan of Jane Austen.

Nor is The Imitation Game lecturing on gay rights, not to mention it’s a true story.

Perhaps you can argue that a work of fiction on such topics might be trying to package a lecture in forms of entertainment, but you can’t even tolerate people telling true stories of intolerance? Next you are gonna say Hidden Figures is too PC as well…

It’s just a really lame movie. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, some people like movies about scientists, some don’t. I enjoyed the Hidden Figures more than I did the Theory of Everything.

That wasn’t the problem at all. It was formulaic, sterile and preachy. I did like Janelle Monáe though. I think she has some star potential.

1 Like

it’s exactly how i’d imagine NASA in the 60s though

The whole film was completely Disneyfied. You may need to up your imagination. :sunglasses:

1 Like

And bingo. It is Disney pushing this kind of “preachy” sort of movies, to fill up itys bottom line firts and to wash off the stink of the uber mountruosity it has become. It controls way too many properties. And monopoly of creativity is not good.

BTW, the Fox deal went through. Expect Dr. Doom, the Fantastic Four, the XMen, as easly as they can milk money out of them. Some rumors say even Endgame may have some of these ex Fox characters.

Marvel has become Disneyfied.

Because it’s over hyped. It’s an Ok movie. People made it seem like it’s so amazing…probably because they are racist and feel guilty or something.

https://youtu.be/xA1ZU8LDpVE

1 Like

Uh, Cap was a man then. Carol was his love interest.

He was an alien. And she was Ms. Mar-vell.

Take that, patriarchy!

He was an alien. She was an Air Force security officer at the military base where Mar-Vell worked (under his human guise as Dr. Lawson). They became romantically involved. She gained superpowers herself about ten years later, by which time Mar-Vell had taken to wearing below-the-ears length, blow-dried hair (as was the style of the time). Also, it turned from white to blond. Carol’s hair was generally straight, shoulder-length, and blonde (until recently when she cut it short). Many Marvel women had similar hair, perhaps because the artists were used to drawing it that way. For the sake of comparison, Monica Rambeau sported a kind of afro for many years, probably because it was easy to draw.

There are no biopics that tell true stories. Zero. They tell stories “based on fact,” but they are never factual. That animal does not exist afaik.

Surely you don’t believe otherwise.

Or maybe you do. Good heavens.

Or it was the fashion at that time. You should see my cousins in the 70s with afros…

Not sure I follow Disney’s motivation here.

The reason that a major Hollywood production company like Disney would push preachy movies is because they are rewarded financially for them, and at very low risk. If millennials will pay to attend Disney’s preachy lectures, then not only does it enrich Disney it also strengthens the brand. So Disney is strengthened in the short term by today’s revenue and in the long term by increasing its share of expected future revenue.

If you want to watch a movie that echoes the kind of identarian values held in Hollywood today - as well as held by the world Hollywood sees as its audience - then you and your wallet give Disney the benefit of the doubt on Saturday night. Disney is guaranteed a positive expected value of each entertainment dollar spent on all movies, especially blockbuster movies (where that expected value is larger).