Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

I agree with this assessment. It’s so incredibly basic.

Yes. It was a story worth telling, and they just turned it into a cartoon.

Except that CM is smashing in the box office department. It made >150 mil on the opening weekend in North America and close to 500 million globally, which makes it the 6th largest opening release in history and 2nd largest in MCU so far, only behind Infinity War. It will likely end up being one of the top grossing films of the year.

And speaking of preachy, you know who is preachy? Steven Spielberg. That guy is literally a preacher.

But it’s only been out one weekend. The marketing, however misguided, seems to have worked for opening weekend.

That’s not surprising given that evidently its schtick is to convince PC moviegoers that a super hero who is male can have its sex switched and still make $$. The more toxic the marketing, then, the more successful its opening weekend.

For a plurality of millennials, who believe wholeheartedly in identity politics and the virtue of victimhood, this works fine. Now that it’s past its opening weekend it’s all down to word of mouth anyway.

Would be surprised if anybody over the age of 35 sees it, though. And I would be shocked if anybody over the age of 45 is even remotely interested.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

For those of you who saw the movie, did Carol ever actually assume the superhero name “Captain Marvel”? Mar-Vell was the Kree name of her mentor, Dr. Lawson. I vaguely recall Fury mentioning the Marvelettes, so it might have happened then. Was Carol’s military rank even revealed?

Btdubs, re: powers —

Yes, Air Force Captain. In her file and printed clearly on the side of her fighter jet: CAPT CAROL “AVENGER” DANVERS

I was looking at the seats available for next weekend to watch the movie again. They are halfways sold, not bad.

One issue that may affect box office is that we have Shazam coming in between Endgame and CM. Zachary Levy is very charismatic and if the movie is funny enough, it will draw audiences as it is in a similar vein. Oh and Hellboy is going to come in the heels of Endgame. Audiences will be spread out with similar offerings and it is not vacation yet, so, only weekends to watch a 3 hour marathon.

1 Like

Just saw it for the second time. First time I was busy taking in all the new information so there was a lot I missed. And I wasn’t in “the know” on the internet chatter about it. So, having seen it for the second time, this time going in with context sensitivity—

There is nothing preachy about Cap Marvel, except the ol’ traditional “heroes are good, villains are bad” human civilization-years old common sense.

It’s not The Godfather, it’s a superhero movie. And as far as those go, this one’s a blast. It’s fun, funny, and includes a cute pet. I actually looked out for the preach you mentioned and legit found none. My single flaw for it was one specific hallmark commercial-ly moment that was pure character based and not social or political commentary. If you judge it before you even get to watch it with your own eyes then you’ll be depriving yourself of fun entertainment. If you do typically watch superhero movies, it’d be pretty sad for you to miss it.

Not aware of Brie Larson’s behavior during the press junket, but in-movie Cap is uber charming, doesn’t take herself too seriously, and I’d be down to chug beers with her at a highway dive bar.

Anyway, to summarize: Based on the actual movie, Cap Marvel first and foremost comes off as entertainment.

2 Likes

He sang mr postman lolol

Dude I have no idea what type of “misguided” marketing you’re on about. Example?

In America our marketing have been the pretty standard Marvel-Disney blitz. Which, one can argue the consistent money dump aspect can be interpreted as misguided (but I suspect that’s not what you’re talking about).

Shazam! is probably going to skew younger. Plus a lot of MCU fans may just skip it. I don’t think very many people will be confused as to which Captain Marvel is in which movie.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that.

Well, it went a bit heavy on the “girls can do anything!” theme (or perhaps it was a “get up when you’re knocked down” theme). The other main Aesop was to not judge by appearances / not be a Space Nazi. Still, it was a fun movie. Fun and stupid.

Yeah it’s the latter dude. But also, girls can do anything (personal opinion :smirk:). But the movie’s optimist POV was more like if you put in the time and effort you can conquer anything (similar to The Rock’s motto of blood, sweat and respect; or our longstanding faith in the American dream), and in this instance as a woman she could’ve only been a girl*. Kind of a rule of life that if you really want to find cause for hysteria, you’ll find it. Right?

Actually, when they first announced her casting, I sort of low key doubted it. She’s kinda really small for a superhero. Like, I’ve met her a couple of times during her Oscar campaign for Room and obviously she wasn’t physically daunting. I wish she worked more on those Steve Rogers glam muscles. Like even 12 extra lbs or something woulda been good. But eh, I can live with it I guess (lol).

*Even during the climax fight when the Supreme Intelligence insults her as only human. If Marvel really wanted to wave a social issue flag it would’ve been prime opportunity to be like “yo, you’re just a wimp-ass girl” or whatever.

1 Like

Also, look dude: Who the F cares even if they did do that (which they didn’t)?

It’s wish fulfillment. A PG-13 movie. Give our girls hope. God knows there are plenty of “boys can do anything!” movies out there – And I’m gonna go on a leap and say the ratio isn’t even close. You didn’t have ladies throughout cinema history going “golly, ugh, such heavy handed encouragement for boys.” I’m pretty sure the vast majority of them were just like “that’s nice” or even were able to step into their shoes, because comic book superheroes are fictional characters who are just designed to be vessels for us, to experience their comic book world.

Like, be happy for the girls who get to see it and get empowered or uplifted. Not shaming you or saying you, specifically, are bitter or salty, but just saying that some people apparently might be (and who loudly, desperately need people to know… for some reason). [And before anyone jumps to whine that I’m referring to them – no dude, not you – check your vanity]

In the grand scheme of things it’s honestly just another Marvel movie in a long list of Marvel movies.

And if that’s not enough for those who are fixated and hating on her vaj – There’s been like 20 movies lead by dudes before one lady solo film came along. So take solace in that cool stat because in your world, you still win. Yay!

There’s a full-frontal scene in the movie?!? :hushed:

Churchill should sue!

The Supreme Intelligence presented as female, although in the comics it was a male-looking head with tubes coming out of it, in a big vat. Mar-Vell was also gender-flipped, and the Rambeaus didn’t really need to be in the movie, based purely on its plot. So yeah, there’s a girl-power thing going on.

Yes. Buy your ticket now

Somehow, I don’t quite believe you.