Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

You guys are going to die when they release She Hulk.

In the meantime, for your entertainment:

Variety: Marvel’s First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, ‘Shang-Chi,’ Finds Director.

Just to mix things up.

Already getting whiffs of something there. What is that smell?

Seems a lot of current entertainment fare is getting moved past Desperate Housewives on the list of things I might watch in a dentist’s office if there are no loose handguns laying around with which I can partake of a lead sandwich first.

Just relax, take some soma, and let the intersectionality flow through your body. :grin:

Is Desperate Housewives still on? Now that is something I always refused to watch. Along with most medical tv series. Or spies, with the exception of Chuck.

It is just answering the call of the market kachin kachin!

Takeshi should have been the first Asian superhero. His K-20 is awesome.

https://youtu.be/O-h6C7LI1sY

In the West at least they know Jet Li.

https://youtu.be/LiFZM4huHi0

Desperate Housewives wrapped up in 2012 and it was quite entertaining.

Grey’s Anatomy on the other hand is still on.

Like a recurring nightmare that just never seems to end.

True. That show is awful.

Heard more feedback from people. Most just said it’s ok, not the worst marvel movie. But not really great. Lame antagonists and average plot. Definitely feminist undertones but not over the top like super girl. It’s a pass for me until it comes on Netflix or something. The only English showing in movies is 40min away so I’m not making that trip to see this, especially since I wasn’t that excited from the previews.

I suspect it’s not going to be a favorite once the dust settles. A lot of these movies with ideological undertones get some hype but feel forced.

It’s not gonna. You can get a subscription to catch it on Disney+

It’s weird, I wouldn’t have had so much to say if there aren’t such loud yet grossly inaccurate wails, since I’d put this movie just above the middle of the Marvel movie rankings. Which is still a f-u-n ride. Character wise, Cap Marvel’s charm probably vaulted her up to just behind Iron Man in the Avengers line up. Tony as a character will always be the trailblazing standard of all Marvel heroes.

Curious which other ones did you have on your list

1 Like

I think around the middle of the pack isn’t bad and is probably fair. I haven’t seen it myself, and of course some just wanted to hate it for other reasons other than the quality of the movie. But so far most of the feedback was it’s ok to decent. Won’t bore you to watch and won’t kill you to miss.

Frozen from Disney comes to mind. They really tried to make it a classic and got amazing reviews from critics. But it’s not a classic, very ideologically driven movie. It’s not bad, I even liked it as a grown adult. But it’s no Disney classic. Not even close.

I’m not very happy in general with Disney. Really poor job with the star war IP. Made everything none cannon outside of the movies and clone wars cartoons basically.

Agree that it’s pretty life lesson-y, but also Frozen is straight up a Disney children’s movie. It’s not even PG-13, it’s straight up PG. What seals the deal is that it’s an outright fairy tale (and pretty much all classic fairy tales have morals).

Because they’re for different audiences it looks a bit out of the blue to compare the two. I meant (and :100: thought you did too) Marvel superhero films.

If you did have a list of those, curious to hear about them.

Disney wise… I have complicated feelings too. But on the whole (thankfully) no strong emotions about it.

I’m not familiar with this

Not with marvel. I’ve enjoyed everything so far as entertainment goes. Are some of them bad movies, yeah. But I still enjoyed them as entertainment since I’m a comic book fan and like most of their characters. I can overlook a sub par plot, I think I’m more critical of Captain marvel because she’s not a character I like. She’s new, and I needed to be sold a bit more. Plus it’s a long trip to see English movies here in Italy so.

Yeah, I really love Star Wars. I love their books, video games and rest of that universe. Disney made all of that non cannon when they bought it. Which is ok, but Disney has not really let other people do much with the Star Wars IP so far. And when they did, the directions of them like the Star Wars games are awful and money grabbers.

But it feels like an ideological thing instead of morals. It doesn’t feel natural to me. Other stories felt to me sincere and speaks to something innate in us. And it is not just a sexist thing. I loved Mulan and still do. I have zero shame singing to the songs. Mulan is a classic. The difference is mulan just does things. It’s not like oh look at me! I’m a woman and I’m oppressed and look at me smashing the patriarchy. Mulan just does it. Same with Wonder Woman and black widow. They’re just bad ass.

Well then, on the list of ideological movies (and even ones with heavy political ideas), having seen all of them I can confidently tell you that tbh on the ideology scale, movies that rank ahead of the Cap Marvel film are (in (very) vague order):

Civil War/BP
Black Panther/CW
Winter Soldier
First Avenger
Age of Ultron
Iron Man 1

And then comes CM.

Oh man, if you do typically watch these types of movies and are a comic book fan, then this post is probably more suited for you (click on the :arrow_up: arrow for the full post):

You didn’t like her in the comic books? (I’m kind of a base-level MCU fan haha) Bc as a character in the movie she comes off as pretty chill. Doesn’t take herself too seriously. Likes beer, enjoys a good time. The Jude Law character who trains her was even like be more serious stop cracking jokes.

Yeah must be a b****.

Are we talking Frozen? You lost me. Mulan I don’t have much recollection of, I think I’ve only seen it in bits and pieces (shame on me, I know) – but my impression is that it was pretty f’n ideological and even (dare I say it) political.

That’s pretty much Cap Marvel. Except the main villain in Mulan was that large bald man with the eagle; in CM the main villain is (without spoiling too much, but I’ll tag it jic) a sex-less, alien “being”. Cap Marvel’s fight is human VS alien.

Actually (don’t hate me @ranlee), I feel like WW deals with the female issues way more, and even head on, compared to any other superhero movies. Not that it’s a bad thing to deal with it, because if that’s the story it chooses to tell then it’s their prerogative. Just pointing it out.

Honestly at this point I think you owe it to yourself as a comic book fan to catch it (refer to my post on 2nd viewing), esp if you find yourself wondering what to do on a weekend. Look, I’m not aware what you’ve read on the interwebs from people who may or may not have watched it. But you seem like a real fan, and you say you are a fan. So just go in with tempered expectations and a good faith and I think you’ll walk out feeling at a minimal “cool, can’t wait for endgame.” It’s simply not gonna be a bad time, surely a few fun and entertaining moments even, and you get a nice little candy in the form of a mid-credits teaser at the end. You can’t lose.

Otherwise, you can subscribe to Disney+ later to get your completionist nerd cred, along with Loki’s new show.

__

Side note on Cap Marvel film in general: It’s low key unfair to Nick Fury that comparatively, people barely talk about how much of a highlight it was to see his backstory, including how he got his eyepatch, and how much fun their buddy-cop dynamic is. Under-appreciated.

This is fair. I liked the antagonists–Jude Law and Ben Mendelsohn were good, and looked very much like something pulled right from the comics. Actually most of the supporting actors had more charisma than Brie Larson (although I liked her in Room). Not sure how much is her acting vs. the script or direction.

The animation was very good, and some of the Broadway-style songs, but it feels like it was written by people who know next to nothing about Chinese culture. (Hugging the emperor?) I don’t want to call it a minstrel show, but we came this close from having a fortune cookie figure into the plot. Disney obviously wanted a story about girls’ empowerment, not filial piety.

In the comics, Shang Chi (yes, that’s really his name) is basically Bruce Lee crossed with David Carridine, and has basically the same powers as Iron Fist. The main twist is that his father is revealed to be Fu Manchu–later retconned to the Yellow Claw, a Fu Manchu lookalike or expy, for rights reasons. I suppose they will either drop this part, or change the character to the Mandarin, who was revealed to really exist in one of the Marvel short films. Dunno how this will go over, or if they’ll just drop it. Other than that, what have you got? A kung fu guy. Fine, we’re getting a kung fu movie. The miracle would be if they had an Asian lead in an MCU movie, and didn’t ask him to do kung fu.

Wonder Woman’s biggest problems were misc. annoying plot holes (e.g. sailing from the Aegean to Britain in one day, WW having learned every human language but never having heard of WW1, the fate of the Indians, or marriage) and the pointlessness of having a villain in it. Why not just reveal that her beliefs were wrong, there was no Ares, and that the “enemy” was just as human as the Allies she befriended? I guess that wasn’t considered sufficiently toyetic. Or else they thought they needed the gods to exist for Aquaman or something. But the movie was very rousing, and the leads were good in it.

So, this was unexpected. Hung out with the fam this weekend and they wanted to watch Cap Marvel. So now I’ve seen it three times. I refused initially – I didn’t want to do it because I didn’t want to get tired of it – but the uncle was persistent. I’m slightly surprised by how rewatchable it turned out to be.

Just one takeaway this time – People really, really don’t talk enough about how this movie is actually very much also Nick Fury’s (and, by extension, The Avengers’) origin story. What were the catalysts that compelled him to start The Protectors Avengers Initiative? How exactly did he come into possession of an Infinity Stone (the Tesseract/Space stone) to lead to Loki’s theft of it?

While some of the other Marvel origin stories don’t directly tie into The Avengers’ narrative, so you could arguably not watch them and still get the full history of the Avengers (such as Guardians 1, which is probably my second favorite origin film after Iron Man 1. Or Ant-Man, Black Panther, etc), you can’t really not watch CM and not have a noticeable gap in your chronology of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes – Specifically in the cause for formation/genesis department.

I get why Cap Marvel is celebrated and has 99% of the spotlight, but tbh fans should give Fury more credit on his half of this buddy-cop film (because the filmmakers sure do).

2 Likes

Dr House MD is Godlike, though. Not watching it = absolutely haram (apart from the last two seasons that start dragging on and on forever)

The One was a really cool movie, I wish it had a bigger budget because the concept was interesting and the action scenes were well done. With some more money spent on production (better cgi, more time spent developing characters and the plot pushing the movie close to 100 minutes) and a director like Paul Verhoeven it could have been a cult movie rather than a dumb action flick.

In terms of rewatchability, I think Marvel movies pass the test easily. I think I have watched Infinity War like 20 times. It is the one I have watched the most - even though I had to acquire it by, ehem, alternative means, and it is not the best quality. Then I rented the DVD… about the same quality. :cry: Hope I can buy a decent blu ray and appreciate then the special effects properly.

They have the Marvel movies on heavy rotation in cable here in Taiwan, especially Iron Man 1, 2 and 3, followed by Thor 1,2 and maybe 3, then Captain America 1 almost every weekend, 2 and 3 ocassionally, and Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly 2 recently. Ant Man and Black Panther I have not seen on tv. That they play them a lot and you still sit troigh them says a lot.

I mean, I stop anything I am doing if Band of Brothers is on, even though I have the DVD. And I play the DVD when I am reminded of how good it is.

1 Like

Frozen not a classic? It’s THE computer animation movie that saved Disney’s entire theatrical animated features line up. I’m not talking about Pixar here, just Disney.

Their last real hit was Lilo and Stitch in 2002, and you can argue if that was even a hit. Otherwise their last hit would have been Mulan in 1998.

Since then, every single one of their computer animated and 2D animated series were mediocre at best. Their first in-house computer animated movie Brother Bear was also the last movie Disney-MGM Studios did before it closed down.

The Princess and the Frog, Tangled all weren’t huge hits. Aside from Wreck it Ralph, which was more of a cult hit for grown ups, it was Frozen that put Disney back on the map.

Come to think of it, having a strong female lead or a strong lead of minority ethnic groups, has been a trend for Disney since Mulan. Tangled, Moana, Zootopia are all like that. The female lead is the one that ultimately resolves the crisis by themselves.

Frozen is going to be a classic regardless of its message. People in Japan are especially crazy about Frozen.

1 Like