Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

Just want to add, why would championing a female lead be called ideologically driven? I would argue having every movie championing male leads is also ideologically driven.

After all, Frozen is a Disney movie about princesses. I would imagine it would appeal to girls more than it does boys. So having the protagonist that saves the day be someone their target audience can identify with seems like a sound decision.

Itā€™s notā€¦ having a female is not why I said itā€™s ideologically driven. The entire movie has strong feminist undertones. Itā€™s not hard to see it is based on a certain ideology.

:joy: I watched seasons 1-10 (I left it when Sandra Oh left it). It was my guilty pleasure :black_heart:.

I watched it until the plane crush. That was enough to make me finally stop watching.

The official 2D blu rays are all standard qualityā€¦ Thereā€™s no decent or less decent actually.

Wow. I can never do that, itā€™d wear me out and I would never like it the same again. Iā€™ve seen Iron Man probably 6-7 times, but over 11 years. You get the :1st_place_medal:.

@hansioux Would have to agree with this. But also, based on my limited knowledge of feminism they do incorporate a lot of positive ideas like be good to your sibling and other people arenā€™t crutches so donā€™t be a weak dependent person. Which Frozen does have a lot. And as a fairy tale those are among the morals they aimed to instill.
(I would also say that they werenā€™t even undertones. itā€™s for children so Frozen honestly made no effort to hide their moral(s) of the story)

I liked frozen, but itā€™s just not a classic to me. Some people enjoy the feminist ideas incorporated into the films. I just personally donā€™t like it, it feels preachy and forced. But I donā€™t think itā€™s a classic. Now that some time has passed, I donā€™t see as many kids walking around with backpacks or pencil boxes of Elsa. But I see toy story, lion king etc all the time. Classics are like Beauty and the beast and lion king. Frozen is not. lilo and stitch, as much as I love it isnā€™t a classic either.

I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s ever called Frozen a ā€œclassicā€. People call WALL-E or Toy Story classics.

Thatā€™s a nice barometer. But whatā€™s also extremely telling are the kids costumes at Disneyland/Disney World. The first 3-4 years were definitely Elsa dominated with a side of Anna, and their appearances have certainly slid a bit in the last couple of years. But thereā€™s absolutely still an undeniable abundance of Elsa costumes at the theme parks even today.

(PSA: Yes, guys, I have an annual pass. Sue me.)

Thereā€™s been a lot of talks of frozen being a classic or not.

I think they did well with their demographic, which is young girls for these princess movies and did a good job marketing to the parents which is who will ultimately decide of if the kid watches it or not. Time will tell, I think itā€™s a classic when you grow up and still would watch it. Iā€™m not so sure Frozen will pass that test.

I hope everybody realizes that Frozen 2 comes out this Christmas. No word on whether Elsa will get a girlfriend, as fans have been demanding. I always thought she should end up with that goofy Lapp guy, since heā€™s crazy about ice, and she makes the stuff with her mutant powers.

Perhaps the most controversial aspect was the use of a yoik (a type of singing considered pagan) to introduce a Christian hymn.

Toy Story 2 is maybe a classic, canā€™t say the same about the rest

In any case, those are Pixar films

Frankly, I donā€™t see it. I see it being preachy about love between siblings and tell the truth that itā€™s not always love at first sight.

To @Andrew0409, any medium featuring a (or several) female lead(s) has strong feminist undertones, but any medium featuring male leads is fine.

I guess you can apply that to many users around here and to media centering anything other than straight white men. Any medium featuring gay men is preaching, any medium featuring a black cast is too politically correct. Etc. etc. etc.

Ahh cā€™mon now. Unless andrew personally agrees with you, perhaps allow him to detail his definition of it himself, lest you shove words in his mouth.

The movie may not have been a cult classic, but this line was enough to make it a classic in my mind.

Image result for jet li the one meme im nobodys bitch

1 Like

and then he proceeded to kick everyoneā€™s ass for eternity.

<3

Uh, yes please?

Image result for jet li the one gif

2 Likes

But what would they call the sequel?

The Two?

Hopefully there wonĀ“t be one, but in these days, where everything is reclycled, I wouldnĀ“t put it past them. I mean, remake Papillon!!??

In other news, 37 days to Avengers 4ā€¦ wonder when they will open ticket sales in Taiwan? I was thinking about splutging for 4D for this movie.