Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

No. The fact that they were memorable characters made them so. Ripley is a character that every sci-fi fan loves not because “FiNaLlY a WoMaN!1!”, but because it’s a fantastic character, well developed across each movie (and the series as a whole, with some ups and downs, the last movie was quite trashy) and played perfectly by Sigourney Weaver.

A small side character like Vasquez who has maybe 2 minutes of dialogue during the whole movie became memorable not because “FiNaLlY a WoMaN!1!”, but because the character was interesting, well developed, and played perfectly by the actress (and whoever made the casting for that movie was God, by the way).

[Private Hudson ]: “Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?”
[Private Vasquez ]: “No. Have you?”

This line of dialogue, while she’s doing pull ups moments after waking up from her hyperbaric chamber, is absolute perfection. The way the scene is played, the timing with which she delivers the joke, her smirk…it’s fantastic, and claiming that people remember that just because a girl did it is reductive. It was a memorable performance.
See how long the new ghostbuster movie characters will be remembered for, outside of the:“it failed because of far right people who hate women” crowds.

I know, I even wrote it in a previous reply that the film didn’t seem preachy to me. The marketing surrounding it, months of “if you don’t go watch this movie day1 you hate women”, and the bad reviews being censored because clearly all done by trolls who hate women (but gave Alita 95%?) are something that I’ll gladly make fun of.

That could be interesting or painfully dumb. They clearly can’t recreate the “conclusion” of the whole Thanos saga in a single movie, even if they stretch it to three hours, and I think that the comic ending works great in comics but would have a massive blueballs effect as a movie.
Are we possibly going to see some Warlock shenanigans?

3 Likes

No. One thing that they have been adamant about is that the MCU story is different from the comics, that they will not be telling the same tale twice. Hence, expect the unexpected.

As someone wiser than me once sad:“Subverting expectations, in and on itself, is an accomplishment, regardless of how satisfying that it. I like plot twists that make a story boring”.

I’m now slightly worried about Endgame, but considering that I erased Rocky 5 from any memory cell in my brain, if Endgame turns out to suck I still have Infinity Wars.

As I said at the beginning, given the really good buildup, the movie carries way too heavy expectations and nothing they do will satisfy as much as Infinity War, for example.

Personally, I am concerned about the late reshooting. I understand the need for secrecy -and in spite all their efforts, there are all kinds of leaks- but sudden changes in script are worrisome. Plus the companies they fired over the leaks will do everything to spoil the party…

No one is denying that those were also great performances. However, for every Die Hard, Rocky or Raiders of the Lost Ark, there are 100 other crappy movies featuring the same archetypal male protagonists for most of the 80s and 90s. The same can’t be said for Aliens or … hmm… yeah, I can’t think of any, and that’s kinda my point.

Fear not: Cap Marvel is the final proof that women can be the protagonists of dumb action hero movies! Take that, patriarchy!

2 Likes

You are entitled to your opinion about the movie having watched it, but I’m not watching or reading criticisms about the movie based on dislike for the actress and having a female protagonist from people who haven’t seen the film at all.

2 Likes

Eh there was this pirate movie with Geena…or we do not talk about it?

Geena Davis was in a pirates movies?

Shhh, we do not remember that one…

I had to make a Google search because I really don’t know what movie you’re referring to…

Cutthroat Island - Geena Davis stars in this adventure saga as the most swashbuckling female pirate to ever lay waste to the seven seas.

Just from the recap I can tell it’s shite. Now I need to find it, I’m curious to see how bad it can be.

It was nice to know you…

Technically speaking it is not that bad. But it is the movie credited with sinking Geena´s career.

I really liked that movie where she played the assassin. After that, I totally forgot she existed.

Ah Long Kiss Goodnight… along with younger Samuel Jackson, who has some meorable quotable lines there.

See how it is all connected? 6 degrees and all that jazz.

Maybe the downturn in her career had something to do with the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media?

1 Like

That would be a far right conspiracy.

1 Like

She was pretty close to making the US archery team for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. If only there was a movie about female archers back then.

Finally got around to seeing Captain Marvel. It was a great ride. While not as good as Cap 2 or 3, but it is still well paced, and filled with fun 90s references.

I do wish they spend a bit more time on Hala, show how much she feels at home there. But as is, it’s already one of my favorite Marvel movies.

Young Samuel L Jackson is amazing. Given how much screen time he got, I never once noticed he was CG.

Also, loved the cat. It’s a bummer to know neither Brie nor Samuel L Jackson like cats.

1 Like

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT.

Origin films have the burden of setting up characters and (especially in Cap Marvel’s case) even world building. Kind of like pilot episodes of shows, it’s only after you do all that leg work (which must be done) can you start having fun. Which is why I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to CA2 or 3. If you have a personal ranking of origin films (sans hulk because sorry norton, you don’t count, and sans homecoming because technically isn’t a true origin), curious to hear it.

Agree, but also understand why they needed to get the plot going and get her to Earth as economically as possible.