Cap Marvel, Endgame & the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2019

In interviews Brie said she is allergic to cats, that’s why she only has dogs as pets. So when she was filming with Goose, it was probably CGI. SLJ can work with those real cats, but doesn’t really have a thing for them.

And it would have been an absolute violation of the source material to change the cat into a dog.

They already changed its name :man_shrugging:

Also, in the comics Chewie is Captain Marvel’s cat, but in the film you don’t really get that feeling. I guess it’s implied that Chewie was a part of Carol Danvers’s past as Goose showed up in her memory fragments. However, Carol never particularly warmed up to Goose even after regaining most of her memories.

For me it goes like this (not counting the Hulk):

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Iron Man
Captain Marvel
Captain America: The First Avenger
Doctor Strange
Thor

Frankly many of them are tied at the middle pack. I really enjoyed Spiderman Homecoming. I think the twist of the villain being closer to him than he thought is brilliant. I was scared off my seat when Vulture answered the door, which is probably the only time an MCU movie managed to accomplish a surprising villain reveal. It also has a great message, and Tony Stark was brilliant in the film, juggling mentoring Peter and reflecting on what happened in Age of Ultron and Civil War. Peter doing his best but just fell short of saving everyone also seems to be in character.

I enjoyed Ant Man a lot because of the family aspect of Scott Lang and Hank Pym. Worrying about their children while taking dangerous missions isn’t something that other super heroes have to worry about. It was also hilarious and bumped the movie up for me.

Foul :checkered_flag:

:point_down:

Well… if that’s the case, technically Black Panther and Thor also weren’t origin stories :stuck_out_tongue: Both of them were already Black Panther/Thor prior to their first solo movies, wearing the uniforms and all that.

Just a random thought. My theory to this whole Marvel fad is that the world is such a piece of shit now that everyone just wants superheroes to rescue us. It’s sad.

Why should that matter even if it is true. I like stories that build an entire universe, and it doesn’t have to be based on our reality at all.

You can make fun of any fictional universes with that logic, in fact for a long time most people did. You like Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star War, well those worlds aren’t real and you just want some hero to save you from your misery, so let me make fun of you.

Perhaps sometimes people just like a good story not set in the real world because the story can then discuss any subject or issues without being tied down and examine the issues and topics from a brand new perspective.

1 Like

I agree. It’s behind the attraction of science fiction and some fantasy fiction, too.

I’m not a fan of superhero movies, but I too am entertained by fiction about alternate universes and alternate realities.

LOTR is pretty good but I’ve never seen the other 2 and have no interest to ever see it.

And no, Marvel is set in the real world. LOTR isn’t.

You…can…exclude them…?

Though in Thor’s case, it was the character’s first theatrical film appearance and introduction to the character, which give its case a boost. Also, the Thor movie wasn’t able to circumvent all that backstory and character introductions that Homecoming was able to shortcut through.

So guess you can exclude BP if you so choose, but not so much Thor.

Basically every wish fulfillment movie. Every song. Every good dish of food. Every piece of fictional literature. It’s all escapism. And temporary distraction/numbing from the sadness.

Where aliens invaded ten years ago, and the US president is named Matthew Ellis?

That would leave Guardians of the Galaxy for my no. 1 origin story MCU movie.

Perhaps, but the popularity of superhero movies takes it to a new height.

It still is set in the real world unlike the Middle Earth or a spaceship like in sci-fi operas.

In other news I see the opening date here in Taiwan cinemas as April 24th, while in the U.S. is April 26th. Hmmmm.

Yup, common for the Marvel movies too. Captain Marvel I think was 2 days early as well. The first two Avengers movies we got 2 weeks to a month before the US. It makes it way easier to avoid spoilers.

Less than a month to go!

I watched Infinity War earlier today in anticipation. I think it was my… let’s say 5th full viewing. But I’ve watched it in bits and pieces plenty of other times.

I still hold the record! :banana:

Eh from the LOTR fans in the house, any tips on how to survive 3 hours glued to the seat?

Choose the middle seat on long-haul flights to practice holding it in?

3 hours sounds like a lot but I don’t think it’s going to be that bad. Avoid fluids and go before it starts, I guess. Infinity War is 2.5 hours but it FLIES by even after multiple viewings.

Lord of the Rings extended editions are close to 4 hours a piece - but there’s a disc change in the middle so you get an intermission. But the theatrical cuts were a breeze too.

I barely survived Captain Marvel without an accident. And Infinity War I did go out midway, in spite of not having anything to drink since the previous day.

Does anyone know if salty popcorn helps retain liquids?

When I saw Infinity War just to trash it afterwards I went peeing in the middle.

It’s not as if these productions were full of attention to details that you couldn’t miss 2 minutes of it. :roll: