Capital Letters

This has been discussed before, so I know I’m wasting my time with this. But I will say it again in the vain hope that the more lazy and inconsiderate among our users will understand. Capital letters were not invented to make life hard for the less intellectually-gifted. They are there to make life easier for the reader. They serve a purpose, and neglecting to use them shows a lack of respect for the person reading your comments. Please observe the basic niceties that have been agreed upon by millions of people over hundreds of years so that we can communicate more effectively.

Thank you.

[quote=“urodacus”]Taiwanese woman gets Best Job in the World? - #32 by urodacus
maybe because enough of the baby boomers already go to Hamilton Island, and they want to attract the younger ones. I wouldn’t go to Hamilton, personally: it’s too big, too developed, and it’s not even on the reef proper but in the Whitsunday islands, a different geology altogether. there IS coral around the island, but its just isolated bommies rather than a reef with a coral atoll and lagoon affair as one expects from all the publicity photos. the reef itself is a bit further off shore and accessed by seaplane or boat.

if you really want to see the true reef, as in all the dream photos, go to Green Island, or Lizard island. Heron Island is one of the easier ones to get to, as it is at the southern tip of the reef, and it too is a true atoll with lagoon, but its coral is dying off unfortunately.[/quote]

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHY WRITING TITLES IN ENTIRELY UPPER CASE IN THE EVENTS FORUM IS OK? :cactus:

I am a sinner. Please, pass my wakizashi, so I may commit seppuku.

This has been discussed before, so I know I’m wasting my time with this. But I will say it again in the vain hope that the more lazy and inconsiderate among our users will understand. Capital letters were not invented to make life hard for the less intellectually-gifted. They are there to make life easier for the reader. They serve a purpose, and neglecting to use them shows a lack of respect for the person reading your comments. Please observe the basic niceties that have been agreed upon by millions of people over hundreds of years so that we can communicate more effectively.

Thank you.

[quote=“urodacus”]Taiwanese woman gets Best Job in the World? - #32 by urodacus
maybe because enough of the baby boomers already go to Hamilton Island, and they want to attract the younger ones. I wouldn’t go to Hamilton, personally: it’s too big, too developed, and it’s not even on the reef proper but in the Whitsunday islands, a different geology altogether. there IS coral around the island, but its just isolated bommies rather than a reef with a coral atoll and lagoon affair as one expects from all the publicity photos. the reef itself is a bit further off shore and accessed by seaplane or boat.

if you really want to see the true reef, as in all the dream photos, go to Green Island, or Lizard island. Heron Island is one of the easier ones to get to, as it is at the southern tip of the reef, and it too is a true atoll with lagoon, but its coral is dying off unfortunately.[/quote][/quote]

if you have a problem reading english because it don’t have capital letters then you is prolly retarded…communicate effectively my arse…this is the internet age and we is writing in a chat forum not carving our life stories in granite…i know it’s a tired example but do you really think e.e. cummings was disrespecting his readers by not using capital letters?

you might just as well upbraid dylan for droppin’ “g’s” in his lyrics…linguistic conventions are made to be twisted and broken especially in ephemera such as Internet fora…

Hard to read, crap English, didn’t make it to the end, even though it was short. Think ‘eye hooks’, young Ursula.

As a matter of fact, a cursory glance through that post shows that i DID use capital letters where necessary, for emphasis rather than as a signal that a new sentence has started. do you use capital letters when you speak? No, you concentrate on the tone of the spoken word, and i feel that in a web forum, giving the tone of the language is far more important than a convention to use capitals at the beginning of a sentence. that’s what the full stop and the double space are for, as ‘eye hooks’ and they do their job very well…

I spend all my frikkin days hunting down and eliminating erroneous capitalisation, hyphenation and italicisation from places where it is crucial to do so, so i feel no desire at all to extend my agony into the realms of Forumosa where i post for fun.

Though I thought you’d have been ecstatic that i have been using the shift key much more than i did previously. We have been through this before, and whilst I am so sorry to see that my style still irks you, I have little to no inclination to change.

…as is your prerogative…i mean who gives a toss either way…OP however is trying to make the point that the lack of a couple of capitals in urods post renders it an insult to the intelligence of the flob community…i beg to differ…

…as is your prerogative…i mean who gives a toss either way…OP however is trying to make the point that the lack of a couple of capitals in urods post renders it an insult to the intelligence of the flob community…i beg to differ…[/quote]

But if people don’t really read your words, why post? Don’t you want people to look? Studenty English is a big turn-off for many expats in Taiwan, for obvious reasons. I really and truly only got to ‘way’ before my eyes crapped out and I stopped reading. It’s just so much harder to skim. If you really aren’t interested, then never mind, but experiment a little with larger chunks of texts, if you are.

Troll. That’s his usual modus operandi. Complain about something trivial, usually involving someone else’s English skills. Then disappear and laugh at the argument.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]

Now you’ve trolled and complained about something trivial that doesn’t bother anyone else, and started an argument, it’s time for you to ignore this thread, and completely disappear from Forumosa for a few months. That’s your usual modus operandi.[/quote]

It bothers me. A little. Not wasting huge swathes of time on a website full of weird old guys is a good thing, surely? :laughing:

[quote=“Buttercup”]It bothers me. A little. Not wasting huge swathes of time on a website full of weird old guys is a good thing, surely? :laughing:[/quote]Starting arguments and then running away is a bad thing. I remember his “Taiwanese with less than perfect English shouldn’t be allowed to post on Forumosa” threads.

Where else am I supposed to spend my time exactly?

And?

See? It’s working.
You made my point for me.

Bye.

Have a nice day!

:cactus: I’m still confused about the use of the cactus though. :cactus:
:cactus: Where exactly should I put it? :cactus: And in what circumstances? :cactus:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]:cactus: I’m still confused about the use of the cactus though. :cactus:
:cactus: Where exactly should I put it? :cactus: And in what circumstances? :cactus:[/quote]

YOU CAN ONLY PUT THEM NEXT TO CAPITAL LETTERS :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

[quote=“Buttercup”]Have a nice day![/quote]You too, even thought you’ve got a crap job with crap people. I’ve just got my hamster.
Talking about cute but vicious animals that that otherwise rubbish, I saw the pandas yesterday.

You cheeky cunt.

The interval between the first reply and your comment was three hours. Am I supposed to be permanently logged in to avoid being accused of running away?

Urodacus, I spend a lot of time reading crap English written by people who don’t know any better, and this is where we come to get away from it. If you feel that ‘the internet’ is where you go to get away from all those unfair and pointless rules then perhaps you should consider that the internet is a big place. There is no shortage of sites where semi-literate retards can have their fun away from the pesky adults. On this site specifically there is a clearly-stated policy that we do things the old-fashioned way. There are places where you can go and play, but apparently you would prefer to play in places where other people play to different rules from the ones you like.

On this site we use proper punctuation. If you don’t like it then discuss it with the administrators. But until they rule in your favour, please do everyone a simple favour and observe the protocols you have been asked to observe in the past.

Alternatively, why don’t you just change your signature line to something like “I don’t give a fuck about the stated policies of this site and I’m going to do my own thing even though other people have told me they find it annoying, and fuck you if you don’t like it.”

And who the hell is ee cummings? Quoting obscure exceptions to accepted practise may succeed in proving that you have read some books that I haven’t read, but it doesn’t change the fact that most widely-read writers do things in the same way that I was taught. I’m pretty sure that all of you were taught the same, but somehow a few people have somehow decided that centuries of consensus no longer matter, just because any idiot can get his scribblings in front of a bigger audience.

My initial thoughts too.

Oh, never mind. Stay in forever and play with your ‘hamster’ then.