Car accident

Hi guys,

I and my wife had a car accident 3 weeks ago.
We were driving on the road (4 ways, 2 go, 2 come) and the blue track which crashed us were driving on the road (2 ways, 1 go, 1 come). There was no traffic lights or signs. I know that I have priority to pass first. But that driver did not stop and crashed from the side my wife seats. Traffic rules in Taiwan says that the road which has more lines has priority to pass first and lesser lines shoukd stop before they pass.

But the policemen say that they cannot say that is the other driver’s fault.

That driver’s insurance company contacted and they said they will pay for my car, only 30% of the costs!!

Now, the driver says that he also wants me to pay for his costs!!

Firstly, I and my wife decided to get agreement with that driver and pay for our lose. But now, we decide to sue him.

What should we do now? Do you guys know any lawyer who speaks English in Taoyuan? If I sue him, how much could I get and how long will it take?

Btw, my car’s value is around 200K. Repairing the car will cost around 200K. My wife stayed a night in hospital. She still cannot walk and move easily, also she has blood in her brain. I am also injured my knee and fingers.

Thanks guys!

Please explain the accident with a bit more detail, and include info about:

-Your car insurance coverage
-You and your wife’s nationalities
-Who has been negotiating between parties so far

It sounds like you and your wife are not native speakers of Chinese and not Republic of China citizens.
You will need one (preferably both) on your side for this to go well for you. A dedicated party who will fight for you through to the conclusion.
The courts have changed here, but the people have not. Blue van man, if he was at fault, still assumes his bronzed tan skin and red stained teeth will get him a victory because you are a foreigner. Not so fast! Taiwan courts want none of this sort of justice anymore. It is very bad for business.

If you are not at fault, you will probably win, but to do so, legally, you need to be on level ground with Bing Lang Wang. This might involve getting an expensive lawyer, but start with your local consulate and/or Taiwan foreign affairs. They might offer low cost solutions.

Good luck

T

[quote=“achdizzy1099”]Please explain the accident with a bit more detail, and include info about:

-Your car insurance coverage
-You and your wife’s nationalities
-Who has been negotiating between parties so far

It sounds like you and your wife are not native speakers of Chinese and not Republic of China citizens.
You will need one (preferably both) on your side for this to go well for you. A dedicated party who will fight for you through to the conclusion.
The courts have changed here, but the people have not. Blue van man, if he was at fault, still assumes his bronzed tan skin and red stained teeth will get him a victory because you are a foreigner. Not so fast! Taiwan courts want none of this sort of justice anymore. It is very bad for business.

If you are not at fault, you will probably win, but to do so, legally, you need to be on level ground with binglang Wang. This might involve getting an expensive lawyer, but start with your local consulate and/or Taiwan foreign affairs. They might offer low cost solutions.

Good luck

T[/quote]

Thanks for reply.

My car has only basic insurance which I need to have. Since it is 13 years old car, insurance companies are not willing to do better insurances.
I am Turk and my wife is Taiwanese but she does not have any idea about the laws, sueing with the lawyer who speaks English will be better for me.
My wife’s parents had phone conversation with that guy once, insurance company is contacting my wife.
I was the driver and the car is my wife’s.
Traffic rules say that it is his fault, not mine.
He did not stop and he crashed us.
I know that it won’t be easy and fast :confused: