Car crash - what to do

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]

I have no idea what to do if they’re truly crazy and call your bluff, but I doubt they will.[/quote]

That is a definite weakness in your strategy.[/quote]

If you think for a split-second that the person described above sounds even REMOTELY likely to be “intimidated” by a loud-voiced foreign youth brandishing a CD, then you definitely need your heid examined! :roflmao:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]

I have no idea what to do if they’re truly crazy and call your bluff, but I doubt they will.[/quote]

That is a definite weakness in your strategy.[/quote]

If you think for a split-second that the person described above sounds even REMOTELY likely to be “intimidated” by a loud-voiced foreign youth brandishing a CD, then you definitely need your heid examined! :roflmao:[/quote]

Point. Most of the people I know who do this are gangsters. I think I hang around too many gangsters, now I think about it.

On that note, if OP has made any male friends in bars, he should definitely be calling for their assistance. THEY should do the negotiating for you.

[quote]Point. Most of the people I know who do this are gangsters. I think I hang around too many gangsters, now I think about it.

On that note, if OP has made any male friends in bars, he should definitely be calling for their assistance. THEY should do the negotiating for you.[/quote]

Do not get the local drunks to handle your legal matters. Furthermore, most males that hang out in pubs are not necessarily gangsters. So what gang are your friends from?

One of them I have no idea, I just know he’s getting heavily involved in one. We’re not good enough friends that I would pry into his personal life like that but we’re good enough friends that I’d ask for his help if I needed it!

The other is the Anping area gangs from down here, I’m not sure which temple is theirs though - I’ve never asked. I know the big boss and some ‘previously-heavily-involed-but-not-anymore-honest’ members very well. I also frequently cook dinner for someone from the Annan area gang. It’s never brought up that ‘Hey, you’re all gangsters’ though; it’s kind of something you pretend not to know.

I said bars because it’s actually fairly common down here to know a LOT of gang-folk if you go out to the local bars (particularly talking bars), though I suspect most foreigners don’t realise that their drinking buddy is or was a gangster. It’s very much still a neighbourhood thing with certain areas - if you’re from between XX Street and XX Street, you will have been involved with the XX gang at some point in your life. Even the ones who have ‘left’ are all ‘good friends’ who they’ve known ‘all their lives’ so they can’t just ‘leave something like that behind completely’.

EDIT: You wouldn’t want 20 people with you at a negotiating table @.@; Take one person who’s a good friend. Someone on that side of life is good because they know how to talk the talk and stop the crazies from being crazy, plus the crazy won’t consider setting twenty men upon you the next day if they think you might have the ability to do it back to them.

Also, taking a drunk to a negotiating table is a bad idea also. As is being drunk there yourself.

Don’t you know that’s
ILLEGAL
, urodacus? :no-no:

God forbid we become so assimilated![/quote]

But it’s
EXPEDIENT
. Urodacus has gone native.

Well, the conclusion to this story is as follows: went to court last week and that was a waste of time as they just told us to sort it out ourselves (which is what we’ve been trying to do all along). So we finally met the guy today in a local police station. Well, it was pretty tense as you can imagine - seeing some bastard sit opposite smirking because he openly admitted that he’s only trying to screw you because he knows he can, not because he genuinely feels aggrieved. Anyway, after a short slagging match, he asked for 220,000. We went with 50 and ended up meeting at 80,000. Personally, I wasn’t happy at giving him more than 10k because I was still so angry, but my relatives (Taiwanese) insisted that the legal route is incredibly lengthy and more expensive so I reluctantly agreed. The good news is that there’s nothing on the legal record - the court said that if we could come to an agreement then they would drop the police fine for driving away from the scene of an accident. All in all, I’d say it was a score-draw in this instance. Don’t drive off!

That’s a better result than you could have hoped for. Congratulations

Man, the legal system over here :laughing: . It’s certainly different.

Compensation is some arbitrary figure based on negotiation. Nothing to do with damages or injuries - just haggling. Fines are dropped for offences that would probably see you doing time in the UK, because it’s convenient to drop them.

Oh well, you shell out 80k but probably save 60k in fines and have no record. Sounds like a fantastic result to me. Much better than a score draw. Going to get a license and insurance now?

So I hand over 80k to the guy in the police station (still seething a little). One last handshake and I’m thinking ‘at least that’s over with anyway.’ Then he says, ‘Do you fancy eating dinner? My treat!’ Unbelievable. :astonished:

Hope you didn’t go. Only thing I can think is that he wants an excuse to make up some shit and sue you more. O.O;

What about getting a licence? Maybe you should be angry at yourself because you rode illegally then fled.

You are correct in that the other person rode across you, but you shouldn’t have been there in the first place. You were made to pay for the error of your ways.

What about getting a licence? Maybe you should be angry at yourself because you rode illegally then fled.

You are correct in that the other person rode across you, but you shouldn’t have been there in the first place. You were made to pay for the error of your ways.[/quote]

So endeth the lesson! What sanctimonious BS. Honestly give the man a break.

[quote=“StuartCa”]
So endeth the lesson! What sanctimonious BS. Honestly give the man a break.[/quote]

Killjoy. That’s no fun. :laughing:

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“StuartCa”]
So endeth the lesson! What sanctimonious BS. Honestly give the man a break.[/quote]

Killjoy. That’s no fun. :laughing:[/quote]
:slight_smile:

I heard in Tainan there is a group of gangsters headed by a few foreigners who can sort out your woes. They allegedly run pubs and are known heavy hitters in the gangster world I am told.

I was in Tainan the other day and this expat dude at the Hangout area of pubs swore he was well known locally in the gansgter scene and all his local bussies would help him out any time for anything. The OP went to the wrong court it seems.

Thanks for the post as this is actually what happened after all. I guess the OP’s friend was screwed either way. Driving without a licence puts you in the wrong before anthying else.

I heard in Tainan there is a group of gangsters headed by a few foreigners who can sort out your woes. They allegedly run pubs and are known heavy hitters in the gangster world I am told.

I was in Tainan the other day and this expat dude at the Hangout area of pubs swore he was well known locally in the gansgter scene and all his local bussies would help him out any time for anything. The OP went to the wrong court it seems.[/quote]

A group of gangsters, in Tainan, HEADED by foreigners ? As told to you by a bloke in a pub ? Pray, tell more !

I was in Tainan the other day and this expat dude at the Hangout area of pubs swore he was well known locally in the gansgter scene and all his local bussies would help him out any time for anything. The OP went to the wrong court it seems.[/quote]

A group of gangsters, in Tainan, HEADED by foreigners ? As told to you by a bloke in a pub ? Pray, tell more ![/quote]

Get with the programme, dude!

Have you not heard about the Tainan turf wars between the “Kindy Krew” and the “Buxiban Posse”? There was then a serious escalation when the “Shut it I teach adults, motherfuckers” got involved. It looks like the “I’m not an Engrish Teechur, Gang” are now in charge.

A group of gangsters, in Tainan, HEADED by foreigners ? As told to you by a bloke in a pub ? Pray, tell more ![/quote]

Get with the programme, dude!

Have you not heard about the Tainan turf wars between the “Kindy Krew” and the “Buxiban Posse”? There was then a serious escalation when the “Shut it I teach adults, motherfuckers” got involved. It looks like the “I’m not an Engrish Teechur, Gang” are now in charge.[/quote]

I look forward to the movie trilogy coming out- Big Nose Wars 1,2 and 3 :slight_smile:

Look on the bright side, OP. At least you didn’t get hit with community service as well. At best, having to pick up trash or clean up rivers. At worst, teaching English to the deserving. :laughing: