Car Driving Around with Huge Chinese Flags blasting music

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]Taiwanguy: The ROC flag and KMT emblem are all over the SYS mausoleum in Nanjing, and the former Presidential Office there as well.

My understanding of the unwritten rules are: “It’s OK to fly the Republic of China flag except when it isn’t.” Or maybe that should be: “It’s never OK to fly the Republic of China flag, except when it is.”[/quote]

You’re probably right. I think it largely depends on which 公安 officer sees it, and his mood on any given day.[/quote]

which means it isn’t ok to fly that flag, and those that do either get arrested, their flags confiscated, or have connection with the authority which allowed the display for the flag so people like you can say it is ok.[/quote]

Again…I have personally seen plenty of ROC flags displayed in China…most of which were not at an official event. You are exaggerating things.

[quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]Taiwanguy: The ROC flag and KMT emblem are all over the SYS mausoleum in Nanjing, and the former Presidential Office there as well.

My understanding of the unwritten rules are: “It’s OK to fly the Republic of China flag except when it isn’t.” Or maybe that should be: “It’s never OK to fly the Republic of China flag, except when it is.”[/quote]

You’re probably right. I think it largely depends on which 公安 officer sees it, and his mood on any given day.[/quote]

which means it isn’t ok to fly that flag, and those that do either get arrested, their flags confiscated, or have connection with the authority which allowed the display for the flag so people like you can say it is ok.[/quote]

Again…I have personally seen plenty of ROC flags displayed in China…most of which were not at an official event. You are exaggerating things.[/quote]

Where exactly have you seen ROC flags on display in China outside of museums/monuments/historical sites related to the Republican era? Because I’ve lived here for three years and have never seen such a thing. Please provide pictures and links.

[quote=“Taiwanguy”]
Again…I have personally seen plenty of ROC flags displayed in China…most of which were not at an official event. You are exaggerating things.[/quote]

Selective persecution/punishment is the worst type of oppressive tool of an authoritative state. It gives those in authority absolute power, because people can get away and ahead for doing many things until they pissed off someone. It’s the type of thing that encourages self censorship, because no one exactly knows where the line is, and do their best to suck up/bribe those in authority to keep themselves from being punished.

My wife and I saw it on Xinyi Rd. and she (who grew up here) said the banner on the side of the car was something about the Diaoyu islands. I think it’s some solidarity against Japan thing - which, of course, plays well on either side of the Strait.

All the same, I doubt very much anyone driving around Beijing waving an R.O.C flag and blasting “Sānmín Zhǔyì” (with or without the anti-Japanese banner) would get very far before being gaffed by the police.

[quote=“peger”][quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]Taiwanguy: The ROC flag and KMT emblem are all over the SYS mausoleum in Nanjing, and the former Presidential Office there as well.

Where exactly have you seen ROC flags on display in China outside of museums/monuments/historical sites related to the Republican era? Because I’ve lived here for three years and have never seen such a thing. Please provide pictures and links.[/quote]

Mostly at tourist shops and outside KMT offices and such. Next time I’m there, I’ll take some pictures.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Taiwanguy”]

Selective persecution/punishment is the worst type of oppressive tool of an authoritative state. It gives those in authority absolute power, because people can get away and ahead for doing many things until they pissed off someone. It’s the type of thing that encourages self censorship, because no one exactly knows where the line is, and do their best to suck up/bribe those in authority to keep themselves from being punished.[/quote]

Agreed.

What KMT offices are there in China?

What KMT offices are there in China?[/quote]

I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn I’ve seen party offices there before. I was surprised to see KMT symbols and such so I asked my brother-in-law and he said that it’s not officially connected to the party in Taiwan, but there are offices in mainland. I think it was this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution … Kuomintang

EDIT: I’m looking at their webpage right now, but don’t see that they use the KMT symbol there…I don’t know.

Well there is this KMT office in Beijing:

kmtgrinding.com/contact/china/

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Well there is this KMT office in Beijing:

kmtgrinding.com/contact/china/[/quote]

lol…I don’t think that was it.

[quote=“Meekogyansai”]My wife and I saw it on Xinyi Rd. and she (who grew up here) said the banner on the side of the car was something about the Diaoyu islands. I think it’s some solidarity against Japan thing - which, of course, plays well on either side of the Strait.
[/quote]

exactly why it’s so interesting that he drives a beat up white Toyota.

Saw one today Anhe Lu, Taipei

1 Like

I saw that too about a week ago at Heping and Fuxing intersection. Nuts!

Saw again near Zhongshan MacKay Hospital. They must be ramping up for the Chinese New Year. I wonder if they go the same route at the same time everyday.

20190123_152040

1 Like

Aha. Saw this bloke a month or two back also.

Regardless of the message, I think all of the noise polluting trucks should be banned. Ditto for those megaphones with recordings. I’ve asked friends when we walk by one of those if it makes them want to buy whatever it is they are pushing… The response is almost always the same in that my friend doesn’t even notice the noise. I’m going to go on a campaign and walk around the city just to turn them off just to see if anyone cares.

I wonder what the consequences will be if I took as lighter to those flags.

You’d be in the Taiwan News and the rest of Taiwanese media! If you wanna be famous and you’re already planning on leaving…

Then how will the old ladies buy their new brooms or get their windows fixed, and kids get their ice cream?

1 Like

20190315_155014

1 Like