Car free day

Does anyone know anything about Taiwan’s car free day on 5th May? Is anyone involved, or want to be?

I don’t know what is happening that day but would like to know more and get involved in some way.

I can’t see the World Naked Bike Ride going down well in Taiwan, though if anyone wants to organise one, that would be cool. Call me conservative, but I’d be wearing swimming trunks, and no less.

worldnakedbikeride.org/

A car-free day sounds like a great idea. Where is the event? Is there SUV parking nearby?

All I know is that Taiwan’s government has created its own Car Free Day, separate from the international one held in September.

My information came from here
taiwanderful.net/event/2007/ … r-free-day

I got rid of my car last year and bought a van. I’m doing my part!

I took part in last year’s event:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=53833
It was fun while it lasted, but way too short, in terms of both time and distance.

Scooter free day makes more sense.

[quote=“fruitloop”]Does anyone know anything about Taiwan’s car free day on 5th May? Is anyone involved, or want to be?

I don’t know what is happening that day but would like to know more and get involved in some way.

[/quote]

since you don’t have either a car or a scooter, it’s not much of a sacrifice on your part. I think the only way to keep cars and scooters off the street is to sound the air raid signal. The other day the streets were quiet for about 30 minutes. I will consider walking to work on that day.

No problem here. I haven’t had a car or scooter for the past 7 years and don’t have the faintest idea what gas costs.

But a taxi-free day, now that would hurt. Is one aloud to ride taxis on the car-free day?

That’s a great question, MT. I was very excited when I saw this thead, and clicked on it hoping to find out which day it was when I would be able to take taxis without paying. But at the same time I was also wondering how it was that the organizers got the taxi drivers to go along with the idea seeing as they are set to lose to much money.

I think you may have discovered the catch here though. I bet the trick is that while taxis may indeed be free that day – no one is actually allowed to ride in them. Damn fine print. :s