Car Runs Red Light, Almost Hits Me, Cusses ME out?!?

I was turning left at an intersection, thinking I was good to go, as the light was green. A car traveling on the street I was turning onto went right through the red light and almost hits me. She honks at me and stops a couple hundred feet down and waits for me. I roll down my window as I pass her and tell her she “traun hong deng” but she was yelling something at me so I doubt she heard me. Then she follows me and comes up next to me at a red light and continues her yelling. I ignore her and watched her go her merry way.

From my perspective, she was clearly in the wrong. I had the green light and she had the red light. It wasn’t even the case where the light had just turned red.

So what could she have been angry at ME about?

Sounds like she got a fright, and of course would much rather blame it on you.

Some people think “might is right” and small vehicles have to get out of the way of big ones. Other people think pedestrians and bicycles are invulnerable and always right, and deliberately look the wrong way while pulling out into traffic on the wrong side of the road and, magically, they never seem to get hit.

I almost got in a fistfight in Madrid when a similar thing happened…guy was a short obnoxious prick driving a BMW that almost ran over my kids. Despite his lack of concern for pedestrians with families, he swore at me. Telling my family to walk ahead out of earshot range, I then proceeded to tell him it was his fault and that pedestrians have the right of way. Told me to fuck off again. With the cockiest smile I could give, I told him to go %^$ his mother with a wooden spoon while asking if she was also a prostitute for republican troops (the leftist side) during the Spanish civil war. :laughing: There was a staredown for a few minutes with some bystanders watching…he then got angrily in the car and sped off. I laughed and smiled at everyone watching as if to infer if all Spaniards were such pussies when a potential battle occured.

I then said in English “I can see why your nation and PSE government left Iraq–shameful.” (inferring that it’s a country of pussies) Some of the Spanish people watching broke out into applause when I said that. :laughing: :laughing:

It was your fault. You’re a foreigner. You shouldn’t be in Taiwan. If you had been where you belong, she wouldn’t have almost hit you.

agreed 100%. What the hell were you thinking, being in Taiwan so she could almost hit you?

Yes, everybody knows if you want to get hit by a careless Taiwanese driver you do it in Richmond BC.

[quote=“Taigottawanna”]So what could she have been angry at ME about?[/quote]Taiwanese never accept responsibility for wrong doing. It’s always someone else’s fault, never theirs. Ever. They also use an irrational and explosive anger/rant tactic to cover up when they are at fault to indimidate others to drop the issue when they see no other way out of being culpable for wrong doing. On the off chance that a Taiwanese says, “Sorry”, it’s just another way of ending a conflict and actually means, “I’ve apologized although I’m not actually remorseful, but you now have to STFU”!

I’m gonna get myself in serious trouble over things like this.

Last week on highway 3, the traffic was backed up going into one of the tunnels so a few cars decided to drive on the shoulder cutting the line in front, making the rest of us wait even longer. I got pissed off and straddled my lane and the shoulder so they couldn’t get by. Honking, flashing lights… whatever…

Then yesterday at a T-intersection, I was driving on the straight-through lane and some yutz turned in front of me from the T without stopping, slowing down or even looking. I almost nailed him. Flipped him the bird and we got in a yelling match at the next light over it until the light changed.

I don’t know why I can’t get past this rude, unsafe driving stuff. Makes me nuts. I’ve become a road-rage poster child. Getting upset about it isn’t going to change a damn thing, because people here will continue to run red lights, pull into thu-traffic without looking and nearly mowing down pedestrians.

I wish they’d teach something other at driving schools than driving a backwards S.

it’s your fault, of course: you almost made her look like a foreign driver in a Mercedes in a hit and run accident.

On an entirely separate topic, I hear air rifles with pellets are freely available in Taiwan at your local parish church, and they can apparently teach feral animals a lesson…

Perm your hair, chew beetlenuts and look like a TW gangster and you will be fine.

Once with my mobdoll I stopped at a red and then when it was green i forgot to drive off until it was almost red again. So the driver behind me technically ran a red.

He was pissed and came up to me at the next light. He was a TW gangster, but when I rolled down my window he just said “hey boss how come you dont go when its green and go when its red” I said “red? I thought it was green” And he just walked off. The perm does the trick. Or maybe it was the evil stare my GF gave him?

Anyway, ya, look tuff and you get in less shit. NObody wants to mess with you if you look like you shouldnt be messed with.

She was obviously in the wrong for running a red light, but I think you were too. Aren’t you not supposed to turn left on scooters? (assuming you were on a scooter of course) You’re supposed to cross the intersection and wait on the right side until the lights change and then go… FWIW

Good point, when I first got here and started the Grand Scooter Experience, I did that a few times until I realized the rule, and got a large number of mean looks IIRC. That’s a definite no-no and asking for trouble.

Having said that, running a red light, while extremely common, is far worse.

The O/P wasn’t … unless it’s somehow a scooter with windows. (“I roll down my window as I pass her…”)

No necessarily. If you are on a single lane road (two ways of course), you can legally make a left hand turn. It’s when you’re on a bigger multi-lane street or road that on scooter you’re supposed to go to “the box” and wait for your light to proceed onward.

You are not alone. Same thing with me. Whenever it happens I immediately try to calm my mind and tell myself “it’s not worth it…” but sometimes it’s hard to suppress getting really fucking pissed off and saying or doing something, which usually gets a guy nowhere, or worse, trouble.

[quote=“Taigottawanna”]I was turning left at an intersection, thinking I was good to go, as the light was green. A car traveling on the street I was turning onto went right through the red light and almost hits me. She honks at me and stops a couple hundred feet down and waits for me. I roll down my window as I pass her and tell her she “traun hong deng” but she was yelling something at me so I doubt she heard me. Then she follows me and comes up next to me at a red light and continues her yelling. I ignore her and watched her go her merry way.

From my perspective, she was clearly in the wrong. I had the green light and she had the red light. It wasn’t even the case where the light had just turned red.

So what could she have been angry at ME about?[/quote]
Why do they never shout at me? Are you female or a very skinny male(no offense)? I’d tell her to go and feuk herself as she nearly crippled or killed you!
Perhaps watch a few BBC wildlife documentaries on Chimpanzees and learn how to show your teeth while screaming and waving your arms around :roflmao:
Or go for this look

By the way when the red lights go green I suggest everyone who drives here waits a few seconds and checks clearly as there are always a few stragglers that jump the light (going very fast). :thumbsup: Also when stopping at a red, do so gradually or else they will slam into the back of you.

The intersection safety rules are:

Stop.
Read.
Think.
Then post.

1. The OP wasn’t on a scooter.
  2. If he or she were, crossing the intersection to wait on the right side would have put the OP on the same collision course.
  3. This wait-to-turn sequence is not required at all intersections.
  4. Even if failing to wait to turn on a scooter, in this scenario the fault would still be with the person running the red.

No necessarily. If you are on a single lane road (two ways of course), you can legally make a left hand turn. It’s when you’re on a bigger multi-lane street or road that on scooter you’re supposed to go to “the box” and wait for your light to proceed onward.[/quote]

Not necessarily either case. You can turn left anytime the road lines either indicate you can or there’s no ‘di tswan’ sign on the right. Just remember however that in some cases you will be ticketed as the police will insist you can only turn left on a left turn signal when you have no clue that there is one because there are no signs indicating so. And sometimes you can turn left without a left turn signal as there isn’t one, even though there is no sign indicating so. Its fairly simple really. Of course if you go to the Dazi bridge intersection you can just follow the police making illegal left turns when they should be waiting for the left turn signal; but that’s okay because they are ‘proffeshunuls’.

Only when it’s marked with the little blue circular sign showing a scooter with arrows indicating the go right before you go left maneuver.

One of the side-effects of this driving technique, which I find kind of funny in a dangerous sort of way, is that cars and trucks use this maneuver to make u-turns from the far-right lane, crossing multiple lanes of traffic which may at any moment get a green light to go forward… :loco: