Car Runs Red Light, Almost Hits Me, Cusses ME out?!?

Happens all the time, people cuss you when they’re in the wrong. an idiot (with a super gigantic van of a car) was once driving at mad speed in the Costco car park and had to come to a screeching halt when another car rounded the corner, we were just at the side loading up our car, but the speeder had halted at an odd angle and needed space to maneuver. He honked, and started cussing my husband to get out of the way who was emptying the cart…the husband just ignored him. I showed that guy a finger and told him to shut the yelling and the honking. Worked! Ofcourse ignoring is a good thing, but I like to flex my fingers once in a while :wink: :laughing:

Some folks are just bullies…

[quote=“divea”]Happens all the time, people cuss you when they’re in the wrong. an idiot (with a super gigantic van of a car) was once driving at mad speed in the Costco car park and had to come to a screeching halt when another car rounded the corner, we were just at the side loading up our car, but the speeder had halted at an odd angle and needed space to maneuver. He honked, and started cussing my husband to get out of the way who was emptying the cart…the husband just ignored him. I showed that guy a finger and told him to shut the yelling and the honking. Worked! Ofcourse ignoring is a good thing, but I like to flex my fingers once in a while :wink: :laughing:

Some folks are just bullies…[/quote]

Good for you! :thumbsup: What did your husband say after you did that? Did he think it was funny or was he all worried that the guy would come after him? Ah wish my wife was more like you instead of all this negotiation stuff. However I guess the consequences of escalating could be bad so she always tries to calm me down, after all prison is such a bummer it really puts the shackles on a man’s behaviour! :roflmao:

Thank God for contact sports like Rugby and boxing they really are very therapeutic :popcorn:

I don’t think the husband was worried about escalation. I showed the finger to the guy when he started cussin but when I spoke to him, it was one of those teacher tones not mad xiaojie. No wonder he waited till we made our exit…ofcourse you have to understand this is not sth. that happens all the time. The guy gave us quite a scare when he pulled off his stunt. if he hadn’t started yelling at us, I would have given him the ignore too.

what do you mean “teacher” tone ? Like “I’m (or my hubby) really going to give you a serious beat down if you escalate” or “stand in the corner for the rest of the class” ?

You meant you scared him or made him feel like a naughty little kid?

Confession time. :blush:

A few weeks ago I went up the wrong side of the road (for about 30m) and turned left into an alley. As I turned into the alley I almost collided with a Taiwanese guy on a scooter, got a fright, and shouted, “Look where you’re f***ing going!”

About two minutes later I realised: Shit. I was driving on the wrong side of the road and just crapped all over some poor guy.

I think they can give me my Taiwanese ID card now.

I bet somewhere on some Chinese language forum there was a post about that.

:smiley: :roflmao:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“bismarck”]
A few weeks ago I went up the wrong side of the road (for about 30m) and turned left into an alley. As I turned into the alley I almost collided with a Taiwanese guy on a scooter, got a fright, and shouted, “Look where you’re f***ing going!”

About two minutes later I realised: Shit. I was driving on the wrong side of the road and just crapped all over some poor guy.

[/quote]

I bet somewhere on some Chinese language forum there was a post about that.[/quote]
:roflmao: Wouldn’t surprise me.

[quote]You meant you scared him or made him feel like a naughty little kid?
[/quote]

My tone told him, he is being a pest…can teachers scare kids these days??? :laughing:

Anyway my point was, you get idiots who cuss around (not you Bismarck, you are justified, you are a forumosan and you thought you were right :smiley: ), when they do sth. stupid.

[quote]I was turning left at an intersection, thinking I was good to go, as the light was green. A car traveling on the street I was turning onto went right through the red light and almost hits me. She honks at me and stops a couple hundred feet down and waits for me. I roll down my window as I pass her and tell her she “traun hong deng” but she was yelling something at me so I doubt she heard me. Then she follows me and comes up next to me at a red light and continues her yelling. I ignore her and watched her go her merry way.

From my perspective, she was clearly in the wrong. I had the green light and she had the red light. It wasn’t even the case where the light had just turned red.

So what could she have been angry at ME about?[/quote]

she was angry because you almost hit her. it is that easy.
I think that is her perspective on that event.

red light? who are you to tell her that it is wrong to pass the red light?
Don’t you know that in Taiwan a red light, like all other traffic sign, regulations and all rules are nothing else but optional and that the enforcement is optional as well? It all depends on the situation.

If this woman never experienced traffic outside Taiwan (of course we don’t know about that), she most probably felt being the victim of your dangerous maneuver.

Thank you, kind lady. :bow:

[quote=“touduke”]she was angry because you almost hit her. is it that easy.

Don’t you know that in Taiwan a red light, like all other traffic sign, regulations and all rules are nothing else but optional and that the enforcement is optional as well? It all depends on the situation.

If this woman never experienced traffic outside Taiwan (of course we don’t know about that), she most probably felt being the victim of your dangerous maneuver.[/quote]

:roflmao:

citi k
I am not joking :slight_smile:

[quote=“touduke”]

.[/quote]

This reminds me of a quote I saw in the paper when i was a kid, by an Exxon spokeswoman after a minor accidental release of toxic chemicals.

“Who is to say what is toxic? Fire warms you, but if you get too close to it, it burns you.”

That was bigger bullshit than the above, but it’s close :slight_smile:

so what is your idea about the woman’s assessment of the situation?

[quote=“touduke”]she was angry because you almost hit her. it is that easy.

If this woman never experienced traffic outside Taiwan (of course we don’t know about that), she most probably felt being the victim of your dangerous maneuver.[/quote]
Nice psychoanalysis, but in my unscientific surveys of various business students in a number of different classes, they all knew you are supposed to stop for red lights, yield the right of way when turning into traffic and most all the other driving rules I asked about. Few of them had ever been out of the country and I don’t think any of them had ever driven a car in another country. Bottom line, they know right from wrong. They know what is dangerous. When they get a little confused is when you ask them why they ignore the law and drive in a way they know is dangerous and illegal… :loco:

I large number of engineers from my company went to the US on a work/holiday trip. Every SINGLE one who rented a car was involved in an accident of sorts. :noway:

I did of course advise them not to drive overseas, but they all thought the gwailo was insane. :no-no:

IMO it’s the “they all knew you are supposed to” that is the problem, because it doesn’t mean the same for you as for them.

I think people in Taiwan react according to the momentary assessment of a situation and do not assume that other people on the road just drive blindly according to traffic regulations.
If the intersection was not crowded, maybe just those 2 cars in question around, the woman’s behavior makes absolutely sense… she figured it’s not a dangerous situation, she can relax, only one car at the side there, and she probably not thought about stopping because of the red light. I am quite sure that the red light does not mean the same thing for her as it means for you and me.

and about asking students, sorry, they figured out a long time ago how to answer questions, but this has nothing to do with real life.

sure they get a little confused. You are not supposed to ask this kind of questions. it is probably a non-sensical question to them.

[quote=“touduke”]I think people in Taiwan react according to the momentary assessment of a situation and do not assume that other people on the road just drive blindly according to traffic regulations.
If the intersection was not crowded, maybe just those 2 cars in question around, the woman’s behavior makes absolutely sense… she figured it’s not a dangerous situation, she can relax, only one care at the side there, and she probably not thought about stopping because of the red light. I am quite sure that the red light does not mean the same thing for her as it means for you and me…[/quote]
Well, she figured wrong, didn’t she. Running red lights is dangerous no matter how many cars are in your field of vision. Red light means stop on any road I’ve ever been on in more than a couple dozen countries, including Taiwan.

And specific to the OP, the OP had the green light. Period.

You reminded me I did have one student once who drove in the US. She didn’t have an accident, but said she was terrified by how fast people drove. I told her the difference was that they could be fairly confident no one would pull out in front of them from a blind intersection without stopping, run a red light, or otherwise cut them off.

[quote]Well, she figured wrong, didn’t she. Running red lights is dangerous no matter how many cars are in your field of vision. Red light means stop on any road I’ve ever been on in more than a couple dozen countries, including Taiwan.

And specific to the OP, the OP had the green light. Period.[/quote]

she will probably not agree with the first sentence here, and that is why she got upset with Taigottawaana.

Traffic regulations are clear, red light means stop, no argument here.

The point I’m trying to make would be that the way people in Taiwan deal with the law, including police men, judges, lawyers as well as beetle nut ladies and noodle stand laobans is that they reserve the right to override the law according to the situation or their own feeling or needs.