Car Sharing Co-ops?

I have seen this in the US, UK, and Canada. Anyone seen it in Taiwan?

"Car sharing reduces vehicle ownership expenses. It’s great for people who need a car once in awhile, and don’t want the hassles associated with owning a car. People who share cars tend to drive less, so car sharing can reduce traffic, air and noise pollution, as well as other social costs, such as health and welfare. If you are environmentally-minded, car sharing could be for you! The idea started in Europe, where there are over 50,000 members of car share organizations.

According to victoriacarshare.ca/pages/links.html its in Singapore.

Would be great if they’d tie in parking spots and GPS, since Taipei’s policy is to reduce traffic by reducing parking spots.

Considering no-one gives a cuss about the environment here, and running a scooter costs next to nothing… I don’t think so somehow. (What would you do with all the toilet paper and mineral water if you didn’t know whose car it was? I could see people coming to blows)

Mopeds… point taken. However, there are still many people
(many families) who simply have to have a car. Notice how many of these
cars are parked, empty and unused 95% of the time. Seems like a big
expense for a tight family budget. Also, Taipei being one of the 5 or 10 most
densely populated cities in the world argues in favor of car sharing.
I wonder how its working out in Singapore? Interesting that Japan has
not tried it; probably their auto industry put the kabosh on it.

I just can’t see it. The cars are always much bigger than they need to be, and more expensive – there are few budget cars around. I think having a car gets you big face, but that that would depend on having exclusive rights to the car.

Anyway no-one shares anything here, unless it’s with their own family.

So you’re saying that too many big people here want big cars as status symbols,
and too many small people here just use mopeds.
I can’t say I understand the psychology of the locals,
however, how do you explain the fact that its working in Singapore?
Also, maybe the word share is lost on the locals, its more like a rental club.

I think if you have good roommates then spliting a car is a great way to go. That’s what I did with my roommate. We both own half of a VW Polo. Repairs are half-priced, upgrades are half-priced. Anything you want to do with the car costs half the price as long as your roommate agrees. We also keep track of the mileage and since he drives it twice as much as me…when it needs repairs now, I only pay 1/3 of the cost. We’ve had no problems so far. And I couldn’t justify the price of a car I only drive when it rains by myself.

[quote=“Shenme Niao”]
however, how do you explain the fact that its working in Singapore?[/quote]
Perhaps it’s something to with the fact that you can only drive a given car on certain days of the week, depending on whether the reg is odd or even. Everyone buys into two cars, one odd one even, then they have a better chance of being able to drive when they want to (I think?).

Anyway S’pore has a sense of community spirit (even if it’s one imposed from above).

[quote=“Shenme Niao”]
Also, maybe the word share is lost on the locals, its more like a rental club. [/quote]

Yes, that might do the trick!

Mordeth, didn’t you both always want the car when it was raining?

[quote=“smithsgj”]

Mordeth, didn’t you both always want the car when it was raining?[/quote]

No…my roommate works downtown…so no parking. He tried it once but it was expensive and a HUGE waste of time with traffic. What takes 5min on a scooter can take 30 in a car.

I work in the country…so no problem there. He mainly uses the car on weekends to party or travel. I don’t party…well, rarely. And if I travel I’d rather be on my bike.