Carb stuff split from Loretta's bike problem thread

[quote=“jaame”]Power is torque multiplied by engine revs divided by 5252 right?[/quote]Yes, 5252 is the constant based on Watt’s observations of one horsepower as 150 pounds, 220 feet in one minute.

[quote]Power and torque are always equal at 5252 revs.[/quote]Yep. See the graph below:

Note that below 5252 rpm any engine’s torque number will always be higher than its horsepower number, and above 5252 rpm any engine’s horsepower number will always be higher than its torque number. At 5252 rpm the horsepower and torque numbers will be exactly the same.

[quote]Torque is the twisting force at the crank and power is how much of this force can be achieved in a given time.[/quote]Pretty much, and the force achieved is calculated with the velocity or distance traveled in a given time.

I’m not sure Watt used a donkey, though. [quote]What type of horse was a brewery horse? In England at the time a work horse most likely would have been one of the three British “heavy breeds” – the Suffolk punch, the shire horse, and the Clydesdale. The Clydesdale is said to have originated in the latter 1700s, perhaps too late to be a common work horse at the time Watt was doing his horsepower calculations. So it seems likely the horse in question was either a Suffolk punch or a shire horse. Link [/quote]

Maybe Suffolk or shire horses are donkeys? I’ll google it later. I have things to do right about now.

[quote=“Dogma”]
Wow well done, you have so undermined yourself that I need say nothing further.[/quote]Man, you have SERIOUS difficulties dealing with people who disagree with you without being so fucking condescending. :s

marboulette

Why didn’t they ever refer to power in ferret power I keep wondering to myself. A ferret surely has a greater power to weight ratio than any horse. I think horses are timid compared to ferrets. Ferrets are far more superior hunters too. Horses simply much on grass and weeds. Horses aren’t half as intelligent either. Just try having a conversation with a horse and you’ll know what I’m talking about!
Indeed it was a mistake of incalculable proportions to not use ferret power as a reference to engine output power.
What were they thinking?! :unamused:
I think the world would have been transformed with much more efficient, greener, not to mention far more powerful and exciting vehicles should we have been using ferret power all along. Stupid bloody horses! Has nobody realized yet we are already in an altogether new century? We’ve already converted to metric, so what’s holding us up? I believe the conspiracy lies with OPEC and their ability to control governments, keeping the public in the dark and dumbing us down, to keep us filling our horse power driven engines without questioning the potential of an altogether new dynamic in the quest for a superior form of power. Ferret power!
Just take a look! You can see the potential with your own eyes!

Look at this mean bas**rd! Tell me you don’t want it!

Er…I don’t want to take a grand attitude (much) but I THINK you’ll find that was ME playing with semantics, and once again being condescending.

I think I’m quite GOOD at it, actually.

No, no. I was not talking about you. And I don’t think you were being condescending at all. But yes, you were talking semantics.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]…And I don’t think you were being condescending at all.

marboulette[/quote]

Damn! I must have been doing it wrong.

Ducked, you have so undermined yourself that I need say nothing further.

marboulette

Hi guys,

Sorry if I was a bit unfriendly in the thread about my bike. But let me offer the following explanation:

Before buying the bike I read the thread about it. I am not an enthusiast, and wading through twenty-odd pages of people arguing about stuff I don’t know anything about is not much fun. As a ‘resource’ this forum does not always function very well for people who most need advice. It’s more of a playground for people with strong feelings, and there seem to be a lot of agenda being aired that are not helpful to someone like me. I saw Sandman being petulant with people too, so I know I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Then I had a problem with my bike and a) I needed to vent, and b) feel that any newbie considering buying the same bike would like to know about this but may not get far enough in the original thread to find it. Too much bickering. So I started my own thread. Maybe that wasn’t such a great idea, but if you haven’t noticed previously may I remind you that I’m not perfect either.

Anyway, the bike got fixed and I was busy enjoying it. When I came back to the thread I found it full of people squabbling about what I should have bought instead. I might also add that a lot of the opinions being aired were no more than opinions. There wasn’t enough information available to justify the level of “I’m right” indignancy on display. The whole thing seemed like an exercise in obsessiveness, and as I don’t share your passion for these things I was put off from replying. I’ve bought the bloody thing. Telling me I should have bought or done something else is not helpful.

And really, who cares what the issue is if it’s a one-off? Someone supplies a bike with a unique problem, they fix it, end of story. It was stupid of me to have brought the subject up, but the cause of the fault is not really important either and going on about it also stupid. Hence, seeing repeated demands for explanations I don’t have - and squabbling with mods about my being too busy driving around to actually respond straight away - just pisses me off.

I hope that clears things up. The above may be construed as an apology if you need such a thing. I don’t expect anyone to reciprocate. Please feel free to continue with your discussions, but you’ll have to excuse me for not participating in future.

For anyone considering buying this bike, or generally interested in these issues, I’m having more problems and I think they’re mostly the fault of the dealer. In other words, the “one-off” issue has turned into an ongoing mess with new problems cropping up in a very tiresome fashion. I’m writing them up on my own site at taiwanchallenges.com/Stuff/C … Supermoto/ and I’m sure you’ll all find loads of things to talk about, but please don’t contact me with technical suggestions. The bike is under warranty, and I am not going to fix anything myself. Telling the dealer what you think may be wrong is unlikely to result in him suddenly starting to do his job properly. And it’s his job to fix the bike. All I can do is take it back again when it breaks.

Apologies again for inviting you into my earlier rant. I know better now. Have fun.