Career-wise, the benefits of our Taiwan experience are...?

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“rantheman”]
I think there is real drug paranoia in the states. and going to Asia brands us a loser. in fact, that’s what the locals (some of them) think about us here. if we’re not losers why are we here (in their minds).closed minded to the max. and nothing you say can sway them.[/quote]

I never knew that was the perception held by the locals. Well you learn something new everyday,eh??!? Well that’s unfortunate that they hold that perception, because most rather the majority of the foriegners I have met here have been more interested in learning about their lives, culture and language.[/quote]

Have to agree with Nama here…of course maybe I don’t hang with the reefer crowd.

And I don’t think any of my students’ parents think I’m a druggie loser!

“Paging Mr Type…Mr Stereo Type”

To be cynical…
I also think that if you stay here to long even in a field that is you career direction, you may get odd looks from potential employers

How long were you there again? 10/15 years?
Doing what? (be it Teaching Engineering etc)
Why so long? Were you not doing the same thing day after day after a while?
Then why did you stay there so long?
Do you not think you are out of touch abit with things here?
So you can speak Chinese and know the culture? thats nice to know but we have western customers so that is of no use to be honest, and we want a person that can do X Y and Z, and not a Chinese cultural expert.
And in your resume you say international experience? should that not be international limited to Taiwan??

For a different view…

Reading all these posts, I have to conclude it depends on the field/industry you’re in.

In the electronics industry it’s an absolute plus. Working experience combined with learning Mandarin. You can’t beat that right now as far as good career moves are concerned.

Until the world finds a new China, I guess.

We should all start lerning Vietnamese

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“rantheman”]
I think there is real drug paranoia in the states. and going to Asia brands us a loser. in fact, that’s what the locals (some of them) think about us here. if we’re not losers why are we here (in their minds).closed minded to the max. and nothing you say can sway them.[/quote]

I never knew that was the perception held by the locals. Well you learn something new everyday,eh??!? Well that’s unfortunate that they hold that perception, because most rather the majority of the foriegners I have met here have been more interested in learning about their lives, culture and language.[/quote]

Have to agree with Nama here…of course maybe I don’t hang with the reefer crowd.

And I don’t think any of my students’ parents think I’m a druggie loser!

“Paging Mr Type…Mr Stereo Type”[/quote]I think ran meant people in the US think that rather than people here. Edit: I want to KILL this post as I re-read what ran wrote after skimming it the first time and mis-reading.

i think people who come here are a really interesting lot. i think it’s unfortunate that employers in the states tend to look down on us, or if not that, be wary of us.
i think the best thing for any foriegner here is to save their pennies. put em in whatever’s paying good interest and you don’t have to worry so much when you get back. face it: we’re out of the loop.

The only teaching jobs (K-12) that will be recognized in the US are those of us that taught at the Taipei American school or Kaohsiung American school (yet to get hired at either school you would’ve had to have been a certified and endorsed school teacher in the first place).

TESOL/TESL/ESL teachers will have little to offer companies in the US. You might land a job at a local college. Pay is low, assuming you only have a Master’s degree, and jobs are few.

Those that studied the local language and worked for trading companies, electronics/computer manufacturers or publishing companies may have something to offer but also need to remember that they will be competing with people who have just as much or more experience and currently are employed in the country that you would like to move back to. Seriously though, employers are more concerned with your primary skill than your ability to speak Chinese.

Two years max. Language study and make some $$$. Then leave.

I think if my main concern in life was advancing my career in the North America I may not have come here at all. I came here because my priorities were different - focusing completely on more and more money from some boring middle management job to me = a boring and uninteresting life.

Obviously if you are teaching in a kindergarden and you are planning on returning to small town USA to work in a bank your experience here isn’t going to help you get a job. In some ways you might even want to downplay your experience to potential employers - talk about things that they value - tell them you made an incredible amount of money in a short period of time. They don’t want to know how you have grown as a person or changed your life view. People hiring you will likely be very narrow and be proud of it.

My experience here has allowed me a range of projects and responsibilities I would never have been exposed to so quickly back home. For the right company my experience here should be more of an asset than a burden. If it hasn’t helped me I certainly don’t have any regrets.

In my experience - make it up. I am constantly amazed in my current job just how much bull$hit people spin to get promoted. And this is WITHIN the one area. All the worker bees are aware they are crapping on and lieing and stealing others work but the big bosses lap it up… so… when you go home… lie. Yes that right, lie on your CV. Nothing major, just a few white lies here and there. Simple. :slight_smile:

That’s what proper backgrouns checks are for - and I don’t mean the ones where they just call up one of your former bosses.

Why?

Of course, it is always good to learn other languages, but why Vietnamese?

It’s quite possibly the next big thing…smaller mfg firms are already beginning to move factories there as costs in China rise. Economic and income growth have been quite fast.

Hmm . . . Interesting.

Thanks, Elegua.

And then as soon as the economy starts growing and the costs start to rise, the factories will move on to Bangladesh and you’ll say we’ll have to start learning Urdu (or whatever they speak over there). Who cares about the race to the bottom? There’s always going to be somebody poorer than you, and more willing to be exploited for slave labour.

And unless you are very senior managment or foreign affairs, most companies cannot afford these checks.

[quote=“rantheman”]I think people who come here are a really interesting lot. I think it’s unfortunate that employers in the states tend to look down on us, or if not that, be wary of us.
I think the best thing for any foriegner here is to save their pennies. put em in whatever’s paying good interest and you don’t have to worry so much when you get back. face it: we’re out of the loop.[/quote]

Amen ran, that is very true when it comes to the States. I spent 18months in Japan, and figured the first time I went back to the States that exprience would give me some sort of edge. NOT! I ended up subsituting in Chicago Public schools. Living overseas doesn’t work against you always because there are plenty of people who have been several years out work in the States, and would be considered to ‘be out of the loop’ by prospective employers. In that case many people are advised to try and stay abreast in their field and network their arses off.

AWOL wrote:

Hmm aint nothing new there, here in Taiwan or back in the States. It’s that ‘lack’ mentality at work. But that’s for another discussion. I know when I go back to the States, and look for work, I do plan on ‘retooling’ my resume, and also let those employers know that my exprience is the defintive “excellent interpersonal and communicational skills.”