Caregivers no longer need leave after 3 years

I’m not sure they even use the term blue collar in the US in terms of immigration.

For all it’s faults it bloody nice to immigrants from racist countries.

1 Like

Have Switzerland and Germany changed the laws that kept Italians and Turks from acquiring citizenship even after decades of living there?

Well money plays a part in US immigration too.

1. If you are a fiance(e), your husband/wife has to have a certain income level to be able to sponsor you.
  2. If you are an investor, you have to invest 500,000 and hire 5 american citizens for two years (double that in a major city area).
  3. If you are sponsored by a company, they usually have to prove
    that they can’t find someone suitable in the US. And those are usually tech jobs that pay 100,000 plus US dollars/annum. Nobody is importing janitors and clothes washers.

But US also has the lottery and the refugeee resettlement program. They’ve also offered mass amnesties and special visa programs over the years.
For the lottery you basically need a name and a photo and list of relatives and birthdays!

To summary:
US and EU using early “precaution” method, where you need to be good enough (if you are not US/EU citizen) to be hired by US/EU based company. After you hired, you could potentially do anything equal with the locals.

Other countries using later “precaution” method, where some of you (with non-educated kind) could be hired as blue collars, which status always will be blue collars. (unless you are married to a local)
While the educated kind could be hired as locals and potentially become equal with the locals.

PS: I use the word “precaution” for lack a better word.

So if this German engineer were to be in the USA, he would have a green card and he can apply for green cards for his children. And actually his children born in the USa would be citizens, not withstanding whatever other citizenship they have.

Taiwan should offer citizenship without prejudice to whatever other citizenship they had.
Should also offer permanent residents to apply on the behalf of their children to also receive permanent resident status
Especially those born in Taiwan.

In other words those born in Taiwan should be able to receive Taiwan permanent residency (at least) and be able to apply for citizenship, notwithstanding whatever other citizenship they have or can apply for.

1 Like

You need to understand the concept of nationhood between Taiwan (ROC officially) and USA are different. Probably if a very liberal/democratic party rule at executive and legislative level this measure could be changed (gradually or immediately).

You do notice the designated terms for “foreigners” are “Aliens” officially right?

Is it still called an Alien Registration Card or now called
Permanent Registration Card?

Alien has become less PC, especially after all those
ALIEN movies :slight_smile:

Maybe instead of “Green Card” as the US calls theirs,
Taiwan could call it the “Yellow Card” …uh no, maybe not PC
there either… “Banana Card”? , “Sweet Potato Card” ?

The very optimistic writer of this letter repeats some of the arguments in this thread. I can’t say I agree 100%.

Meanwhile…

There’s obviously a problem here, but it seems most of the positions that are difficult to fill are white collar.

ARC: Alien Residence Card, this basically for everyone, renewable every 1-3 years depends on the discretion of the immigration office.
Blue collars likely have 1 year period, while some white collars (from UK/EU/US/Can/Aus/NZ) could have 3 years period.
I personally, always judged to get the “1 year”.

APRC: Alien Permanent Residence Card, watered down Green Card for foreigners who living in Taiwan.

The article is more like an utopia. You know how long US acknowledge (officially) the non-white population as “American”? This is USA, officially the most democratic country in the world. Where the citizenship/nationality supposed not to be based on concept of blood relation.

As I understand, the Turks, Italian, Polish, Kosovar and whatever countries the immigrants come from, could potentially becoming a citizen after a certain period of staying (and working).
For their children, they automatically becoming a citizen due to being born in German/Swiss territory.
(But I could be wrong, since I never live in Switzerland or Germany)